need chat with bully owners please!

Go down

need chat with bully owners please! Empty need chat with bully owners please!

Post by pal Wed Nov 21 2012, 08:46

I read all I can find on english bull terriers and there are so many contradictive posts. I think it would help if I ask people that owns the breed.
I talked about an other girl who has two bitches bullys and they get along fine.
What I really would like to know is their interaction with other dogs and most important if anyone had any problem with their dog interacting with the bully ( the other dog being put off by their palyfulness and how heavy they are) and how you dealt with that.
What about gealousy, training, etc...

And if you have two dogs at what age did you get the second dog and how old was the bully?

Thanks everyone, any response will be much appreciated
Laughing
pal
pal
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

need chat with bully owners please! Empty Re: need chat with bully owners please!

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21 2012, 09:41

Well, I've only got Dempsey so I can't comment on how he'd settle with another dog at home.

He's ok with other dogs, but not totally trustworthy & extremely dominant, so the slightest mis-cue from another dog & Dempsey will wade in. The only things I'd really warn you about are their shear strength (as strong as a staff but almost twice the weight) and their total thickness! They're not the brightest button!

Dempsey will play (very roughly) with other dogs as long as they are super friendly or submissive & don't p*ss him off. Although there's a greyhound bitch he plays with that will growl at him when she's had enough & he puts up with it, but she's the only one. If a dog gets him annoyed he will try to pin it down (with a lot of noise) but won't bite - if the other dog then goes for him, then it's all in fight!

But I've got to also say that Dempsey is a bit of an anomaly because Bullies in general are quite laid back & although they play hard they're normally very friendly.

Back to top Go down

need chat with bully owners please! Empty Re: need chat with bully owners please!

Post by pal Wed Nov 21 2012, 09:51

Did you do the training yourself or had a specific trainer for the breed?
I contacted this guy who is an expert but to mine and my friend's opinion isn't respectable how he handled my enquiry. But I can't find on-line any other experts of the breed to contact.

I have called a trainer who was brilliant when I talked to him, so I am happy to stay with him as trainer, but it doesn't hurt to look around for experts.
pal
pal

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21 2012, 10:01

I trained him myself (not all that well, but I wasn't worried about competition standards etc, I just wanted him to be able to fit in with the house rules & not a nightmare to walk), and he was ok, but it takes a bit longer than with a stafford because a stafford is much brighter. Bullies respond very well to treat training & some are good with clicker training.

I can recommend a book called When Pigs Fly - amusing but full of good training advice!

How much do you know about the breed? Hope that isn't a rude question, I just wondered if you needed any pointers for good books etc?

Back to top Go down

Post by pal Wed Nov 21 2012, 10:16

Oh yeah I have when pigs can fly. I have lived with my brother bully for 6 months and mostly I read anything I can find about bull terriers. What happened is that I went to the warden and fell in love with this boy who might not be suitable for me and macy but it doesn't mean I gave up the idea of getting a bully.
First of all when I held him he was just so heavy and boisterous as expected (didn't fool myself there thinking theyre delicate).
Whitin one second of me turning to say to the warden administrator hello, he picked up a can and was ripping it off, he started bleeding and although I know it was dangerous I applied pressure where their theet meet (its a bit hard to explain) and opened his jaw (from the outside you know, like you press in the middle near their neck and they open their mouth). He let me do it with no problem ,no interest, no snap, no growl, just released.
He weighs more then Macy and she is 25 kg so if I were to have an ebt I can't risk they get out of control when walking them.

Macy is obviousely a pet but was not responding well to walk traininig so started kind of using working dogs training about walks. Now she is brilliant, I think she sees walk as a task and when she is good instead of making a fuss I say "good Macy well done" in a firm tone.
If I'm a dog owner and have to be resposible with one, I really need to be a leader with two dogs.
Macy started behaving properly when I stopped thinking "oh but she's so cute I can't tell her off". At some point she thought she was calling the shots and that was very irresponsible of me.

I have had two staffies before because I was living with my ex and he had a very aggressive staffy boy, and as you say ebts are heavier then staffies. It just struck me at how good this boy was, so eager to please and seeing him not wanting to go back inthe kennel was really too much for me.
pal
pal

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by pal Wed Nov 21 2012, 10:17

ps: i don't think your question is rude one bit.
Smile
pal
pal

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21 2012, 10:31

They are eager to learn as long as they can see what's in it for them - ie food! They are also absolute clowns.

If you want any really good modern books about the BT you can't go far wrong than books by Dr David Harris. He's a Brummy but lives in Texas now. He's bred BTs for many years (including some champions) but has always kept them as house pets first & foremost - his knowledge of the history of the breed is second to none.

Back to top Go down

Post by pal Wed Nov 21 2012, 10:33

thanks....
pal
pal

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down