les0790
Taz
janey
Ticklymac
14 posters

Go down

Rabbit chasing Empty Rabbit chasing

Post by Ticklymac Mon Nov 12 2012, 18:00

Just wondering what everyone's views are on letting your dog chase rabbits, squirrels birds etc?
Ticklymac
Ticklymac
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Rabbit chasing Empty Re: Rabbit chasing

Post by janey Mon Nov 12 2012, 18:10

No comment on the squirrels! (I think Moo is double figures now)!

She doesn't really bother with rabbits, she has a go and then gets a look on her face of mum where'd they go??
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 18:12

I allow them to chase and catch rabbits, also squirrels but never cats/foxes anything like that.

If they do catch anything we take it home to stick in the freezer for them

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Mon Nov 12 2012, 18:13

I try to stop Taz chasing anything really ... (although she is generally leashed - long lead - as there are leash laws virtually everywhere and you can't always predict the behaviour of off-lead dogs running up to us).

I Don't want her getting the impression that its acceptable normal behaviour, try is the key word here mind, as soon as she hears/see's the scuffle, they have her full attention and it's distraction and positive reward .. lol
Taz
Taz
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Rabbit chasing Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : 'lil Miss Taz Devil Demoania ~ TAZ
Dog(s) Ages : 31:05:2011
Dog Gender(s) : She's a lady, a tinker, a beauty, an a real b!tch
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by les0790 Mon Nov 12 2012, 18:14

My dog sky chases birds on the beach, but shes highly unlikely to actually catch 1, plus it drains her energy without killing me. and from what ive learned a tired staffy is a happy staffy. [well she enjoys it].

les0790
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : SKY
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : BITCH
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Mon Nov 12 2012, 18:22

See I let Diesel chase rabbits, she used to chase birds...til she discovered rabbits and i don't think she's actually spotted any squirrels....I think its good exercise for her and mental stimulation that she needs.

but today i got hassle from someone for it, because "i have no control over my dog, she could run away or rip out one of her eyes whilst running through the woods"

She never runs that far, always comes back to me when i shout but the whole eye ripping thing out did worry me? but surely thats along the lines of not let your kids go to the park in case they fall and skin their knee?
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Nov 12 2012, 20:02

I wouldn't let Rocky chase wild animals, not too sure he would know when to stop Laughing Plus too many main roads around here and far too risky.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Mon Nov 12 2012, 20:31

I've not came up against any rabbits! He chases birds though Laughing chased after a big black goose one day aswell haha Laughing

We were walking through a field the other day and a deer ran out from the bushes, he was just about to fly after it when I decided to call him back as I don't think he would have stopped or knew when to come back Laughing
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 22:02

Haha I think Steff is a bit ditzy like me sometimes Laughing She never pays any attention to anything other than other dogs.. We walked pass a house yesterday with 3 cats all sleeping on the driveway and she barely even looked at them and just kept walking, she is the same with birds.. Strange pup she is Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou&percy :) Mon Nov 12 2012, 22:07

Percy chases rabbits, and the occasional bird, never gets any where close thou, but he enjoys the chase Smile

Lou&percy :)
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Rabbit chasing Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Percy
Dog(s) Ages : 22 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 22:11

Tilly chases squirrels , birds and cats but never caught one, Tommy just chases after Tilly . Don't know what to say really but I do know the situation about running out of sight as it has happened to me and then realised that another dog was around up in the chasing area (be it the other dog was doing the same thing) so there is a risk involved. I do restrict the chasing by calling her / them back with treats and she will only carry on if I don't shout her back , on the other side it's a good test for recall due to the fact that she is in another mode when chasing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 22:18

Kuchar will chase squirrels (luckily they don't go far except up a tree where he can't follow) and birds (and they go up in the air; again, can't follow). He hasn't come across a cat yet, but I'm dreading the day. If the cat doesn't run, then I feel fairly sure that Kuchar would want to play with it; if it does run as it probably will, then Kuchar will be away.

As Dave says, a good test at recall, but so far Kuchar has failed every time, he just goes completely deaf.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Nov 12 2012, 22:19

I love watching Moo chase, where we used to walk (and will again) the woods are hills lol, there is one bit a small valley and off she goes after anything that moves, I would stand at the top and just watch, so very graceful she is.

Just to add anywhere residential she is on lead!

Last edited by janey on Mon Nov 12 2012, 22:20; edited 1 time in total
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by EmLou28 Mon Nov 12 2012, 22:20

Maggie's favourite thing is to chase birds, she loves it when we go to the park early in the morning when no one is about and the field is full of birds Smile However I try not to let her chase anything on the ground purely because once she's seen it its really hard to get her back Smile I can remember once early on when we first got her I let her off in a field near where I live and she saw a rabbit and that was it, she was a blur of white. I was calling her to come back which then turned to screaming as I was petrified she was gonna keep on running and get herself lost. I ended up having a full blown tantrum at her with screaming and stamping of feet trying to get her attention Laughing Was my own fault really as only had her a few weeks at this point should have had a better understanding of what shes like when rabbits are about. I now know when I can let her off and when not and what to do to get her back to me, shes a lot better now bless her Smile
EmLou28
EmLou28
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie- May
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 08:55

Not seen any rabbits, and the one time Loki saw a squirrel he ran back to me for protection, the wimp Laughing. He does love to chase birds though. I let him, because I obviously don't want him to catch or hurt any, but they fly away far before he reaches them. They actually fly into a tree above him and mock him, it's brilliant watching the confusion on his face Big Grin. Anyway, because there are birds on streets and roads, I've also made sure he responds to me telling him to leave them alone, or to come back to me mid-chase, which he does. So I think it's fine provided they won't be getting themselves into danger.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 09:31

Dempsey chases cats, squirrels, rabbits, rats, mice, birds.........well, anything really. The good thing about him, though, is he's lazy so if the animal he's chasing goes a bit too fast he gives up & comes back. He's caught & killed a couple of squirrels & rats & he caught a nasty (really wild & vicious) cat & gave it a good shake but it got away.

As long as you have reasonable control & can get them back I don't see a problem - after all, apart from birds they're all vermin!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Nov 13 2012, 09:47

Max has a very high prey drive and will chase anything that moves doh , he has learned though that birds arnt really worth the effort cus they just take flight, but wabbits !!! .. I've seen him chase down and catch one on an open feild !! Surprised couldnt beleive sucha solid little bugger could out accellerate, and out manouvure one in open space Surprised .. the only issue I have with it, is he goes into "the zone" when chasing summut, and just will not stop .. for anything! including roads, fence's, rivers (i know, I had to jump in and save him after he took off after a deer once doh )
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Tue Nov 13 2012, 17:41

See she gives them a good chase, but has never even came close to catching one, that i've seen anyway.
She never even used to notice them until me and my oh pointed them out one night, and sometimes i wonder if that was a mistake doh

but she loves it and it knackers her out! She's so sweet when she comes trotting back up the path looking for me, foaming at the mouth then just collapses at my feet panting like theres no tomorrow Love Struck
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 17:58

the girls aren't allowed to chase things. We don't have many squirrels in Newcastle! Lola will try and chase anything with fur! I think she might hurt a rabbit as she has a strong terrier instinct! Lily who is a strong swimmer jumped into a lake and chased a swan halfway across the lake! we have 4 cats and Lola does like to chase them down the garden but doesn't bite. I think i could trust Lily but maybe not Lola. Maybe I'm making excuses here lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 17:59

I've just remembered something that was really weird

Many years ago when I had a dog that was not a Staffy (and if you've read my previous posts you'll know what breed it was Big Grin ) would chase the flocks of crows that used to hop about on the open space where I walk my dogs.

Well one day, the crows all flew up and away as usual, except one. And this crow flew about 6 inches above my dog's head with wings spread wide and looking down at the dog. It remained like this as the dog (Zeta) came racing back towards me in a panic, as I was as I was scared the crow would peck at her eyes. The crow only flew away as the dog got near to me.

And I think I'm correct in remembering that Zeta never chased crows again!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Tue Nov 13 2012, 18:09

ANattyRat wrote:Not seen any rabbits, and the one time Loki saw a squirrel he ran back to me for protection, the wimp Laughing. .

i really worry about Loki, doesn't like muddy puddles? scared of squirrels?? is he half Bichone Frise?
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Tue Nov 13 2012, 18:13

new Staffy owner wrote:I've just remembered something that was really weird

Many years ago when I had a dog that was not a Staffy (and if you've read my previous posts you'll know what breed it was Big Grin ) would chase the flocks of crows that used to hop about on the open space where I walk my dogs.

Well one day, the crows all flew up and away as usual, except one. And this crow flew about 6 inches above my dog's head with wings spread wide and looking down at the dog. It remained like this as the dog (Zeta) came racing back towards me in a panic, as I was as I was scared the crow would peck at her eyes. The crow only flew away as the dog got near to me.

And I think I'm correct in remembering that Zeta never chased crows again!

my brothers springer once got attacked by a flock of about 5/6 crows, totally unprovoked, poor wee thing just coward on the ground while my sis-in-law tried to scared them off .
Evil birds!!
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 18:17

Yes - don't trust a crow! They're supposed to be very clever birds.

And I know they peck out lamb's eyes which is why I was so scared for my dog's eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Tue Nov 13 2012, 18:21

yeh am sure i saw something on the tele about them being able to remember previous threats then warning each other of them if the treat returned
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Nov 13 2012, 18:40

Andy wrote:Max has a very high prey drive and will chase anything that moves doh , he has learned though that birds arnt really worth the effort cus they just take flight, but wabbits !!! .. I've seen him chase down and catch one on an open field !! Surprised couldn't believe such a solid little bugger could out accelerate, and out maneuver one in open space Surprised .. )

It's amazing just how quick they can move when they want to Laughing Great to watch them running at speed
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 18:44

Oooo spooky birds. Just glad that the crows have more or less disappeared from my field (I wonder where they went - hopefully nowhere near all you Staffy people).

Apart from crows, all other birds are up for chasing!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Nov 13 2012, 20:14

kathytake2 wrote:
Andy wrote:Max has a very high prey drive and will chase anything that moves doh , he has learned though that birds arnt really worth the effort cus they just take flight, but wabbits !!! .. I've seen him chase down and catch one on an open field !! Surprised couldn't believe such a solid little bugger could out accelerate, and out maneuver one in open space Surprised .. )

It's amazing just how quick they can move when they want to Laughing Great to watch them running at speed

It really is Kathy, he saw the rabbit way before we did, and he was gone!! .. I said to the oh "where the bloody hell's he goin?? " Laughing ... then we saw the rabbit go, and the chase was on ... I couldnt beleive just how quickly he was gaining on it Surprised , then it obviously realised it was being outrun, pulled a couple of direction changes, but he was like a heat seeker and it was the start of his excercise session so he was fresh and hyper >Smile .. the poor thing didnt stand a chance TBH Crying or Very sad ... I dont think he even meant to hurt it TBH it was just game to him, but it must have been like being hit by a truck Sad
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Tue Nov 13 2012, 22:11

sash loves the chase, not saying she's abit stupid but carries on running whilst the rabbits long gone in the hedge or bushes Rolling Eyes
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Wed Nov 14 2012, 00:02

What did u do with the rabbit once Max caught it? Or did he just kill it and have a munch?
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Nov 14 2012, 09:29

Ticklymac wrote:What did u do with the rabbit once Max caught it? Or did he just kill it and have a munch?

No he didnt try to kill it thats the thing, but it must have been like being braught down by a rhino for the rabbit doh , he let it go, then jumped on it again a couple of times untill it just sat there hyperventilating, and looking terrified ... by which time I had caught up and put him back on the lead .... so I hoped that once it had calmed down, and got its breath, it wouldve been ok praying
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14 2012, 14:05

My two are fortunately/unfortunately however you look at it, good at killing things quick! Quick shake and it's dead.

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Wed Nov 14 2012, 17:00

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/shortcuts/2011/dec/18/dog-kill-squirrels
pongy
pongy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Nov 14 2012, 21:40

Any small prey no problem as they can get out the way quick and the chase is over. Larger things mean i loose him for over an hour and he doesnt give up and covers miles so i lead him for fear of loosing him. Ive been lucky up to now...
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by CMR Wed Nov 14 2012, 22:58

Andy wrote:Max has a very high prey drive and will chase anything that moves doh , he has learned though that birds arnt really worth the effort cus they just take flight, but wabbits !!! .. I've seen him chase down and catch one on an open feild !! Surprised couldnt beleive sucha solid little bugger could out accellerate, and out manouvure one in open space Surprised .. the only issue I have with it, is he goes into "the zone" when chasing summut, and just will not stop .. for anything! including roads, fence's, rivers (i know, I had to jump in and save him after he took off after a deer once doh )

excellent, strength in numbers. I had to drag my current one out of water on a few occasions as the silly cow chases birds into rivers and lakes but would never learn ....

I let her chase vermin but only in open areas away from traffic. Golf courses are great like that and my local is no exception.
CMR
CMR

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Nov 15 2012, 00:42

CMR wrote:
Andy wrote:Max has a very high prey drive and will chase anything that moves doh , he has learned though that birds arnt really worth the effort cus they just take flight, but wabbits !!! .. I've seen him chase down and catch one on an open feild !! Surprised couldnt beleive sucha solid little bugger could out accellerate, and out manouvure one in open space Surprised .. the only issue I have with it, is he goes into "the zone" when chasing summut, and just will not stop .. for anything! including roads, fence's, rivers (i know, I had to jump in and save him after he took off after a deer once doh )

excellent, strength in numbers. I had to drag my current one out of water on a few occasions as the silly cow chases birds into rivers and lakes but would never learn ....

I let her chase vermin but only in open areas away from traffic. Golf courses are great like that and my local is no exception.

"Teddington" .... there's a Teddington not far from me thinking
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Fri Nov 16 2012, 07:54

dave742 wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/shortcuts/2011/dec/18/dog-kill-squirrels

That's kinda how i see it, my dog is a dog and i want her to act like a dog, not sum wee lap ornament or something i carry around in a handbag!
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CMR Fri Nov 16 2012, 20:42

@ Andy, Teddington Middlesex....
CMR
CMR

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Fri Nov 16 2012, 22:05

Ahhh .. not the one down the road then Laughing
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly Pocket Fri Nov 16 2012, 22:28

Polly and Charlie have a game every morning with the 3 squirrels that live in the trees at the end of the garden, they wait for them to get on the bird table or the feeder on the washing line and then off they shoot, they don't stand a chance of getting them but it hasn't stopped them trying Laughing
Rabbits, pheasants, pigeons and seagulls are fair game when we are out, they have been known to catch and eat the odd rabbit, Polly did also come back one day with a mouthful of pheasant tail feathers but the bird did manage to get away from her.
They know to leave hedgehogs alone, and they don't chase our tame little robin in the garden. We walk them over fields, in woods and near a local lake, they did find a deer once but they came away when called back. No local cats come near our garden thanks to our old rottie so they have never had chance to meet a cat close up Big Grin
Polly Pocket
Polly Pocket

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Polly, Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 30/1/11 & 15/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17 2012, 08:20

Kenny will chase Rabbits, chickens and motor bikes, CANNOT be trusted ATM lol Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down