6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help..

+3
Kathy
mickgill
mattyp
7 posters

Go down

6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help.. Empty 6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help..

Post by mattyp Mon Nov 12 2012, 09:41

hi every 1 im new to this site but i have found a lot of things helpful.

right, so i have a 6 month old male called Rocky, he is house trained through th e day its just the night he is struggling with.

he goes out a number of times through the day including a long walk (he never does anything on the lead) i let him out before i go to bed. He sleeps in a large dog crate in our kitchen and every morning there is a pile of some discription. he feeds twice a day once on a morning between 8:30 - 9:30 and his 2nd aroud 17:00 - 17:30. I have tried everything that i can think of and its still not working. the only thing left that i can think of is getting up in the middle of the night to let him out which i dont fancy doing as i have work to get to lol.

any help would be nice

thanks in advance Big Grin
mattyp
mattyp
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 6 month
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help.. Empty Re: 6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help..

Post by mickgill Mon Nov 12 2012, 10:08

Hi and Welcome from me and Duke , what are you feeding him on please and do you know how long his food is taking to digest , you say his last feed his at 17.30 if he is not doing one till the early hours its taking a good while to digest hence the night night poo , you need to find out from his first feed how long before he poos ., then we can go from there .
mickgill
mickgill
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help.. Empty Re: 6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help..

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 10:13

I agree with mickgill, we need to find out why he can't hold it.

How did you house train him in the first place? What do you feed him (ie dry/wet & what specific brand)?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Nov 12 2012, 10:18

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

What do you feed him?

Maybe try going back to basics, letting him out every hour then giving lots of praise when he does go while outside.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Nov 12 2012, 10:19

Hi & 6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help.. Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help.. Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help.. Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help.. Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help.. Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help.. Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help.. Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
6 month old still pooing on a night..!! please help.. Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Mon Nov 12 2012, 10:52

Thank you for all your replies. Big Grin

I have been feeding him on BAKERS COMPLETE PUPPY. He was on this ever since i got him from the breeder.

I dont think is a digestion issue because around half hour after his last feed he is sniffing around and i let him out and he does his buiness in the garden.

I trained him in the way i believed to be right nail biting lol.
1st i sharted him off using puppy training pads at the back door which Rocky picked up really well. as he got bigger and completed his injections i started to take him out as he was sniffing around.
I noticed that he would never go while i was stood there so after a few days i decided to leave him out n watch him through the window when i did this he went streight away. so i would go out and Praise him so this is what i found the best way to do it is to leave him too it and praise him when he came back in.

when i walk him he never does any thing on the lead EVER. if i take him to the field he may do something while he is off the lead running.

hope this is enough information for you to help me

Cheers Big Grin
mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Mon Nov 12 2012, 11:19

I have to say most people keep away from Bakers on here it really is a poor food , we feed Duke aged 4 months on Wainwrights with salmon and he goes right through the night , his last feed is at 5,30 pm he poo's about 11 pm, he then goes till 7.30 am and straight out into garden he poo's again .

It sounds like a digestion problem and i would bank on it with Bakers, Wainwright is more expensive but well worth it in my opinion , here are Duke Feeds times , 7.30 am , 12, 30 pm and 5.30 pm , he gets a couple of fish dog treats in between for obeying commands , we never have trouble with him pooing .

We takeDuke out for a walk after his 12.30 feed he always poo's on the walk . though it's throwing it down here today and Duke is sulking Laughing
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by farmgirl Mon Nov 12 2012, 11:53

Hi and a big welcome from Kia and me Smile
farmgirl
farmgirl

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Kia
Dog(s) Ages : 15 months approx
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 12:03

Well, I'd get him off the Bakers asap! It really isn't good - full of additives & very little meat content. Try for a food that has meat listed as the first ingredient, and has little or (preferable no) wheat content.

If you feed him at 5pm-ish, then I'd take him for a walk at arount 10-10.30pm (I know he doesn't go to the toilet on lead), and then when you get back let him go in the garden. But that's just for starters.

You really need to get him out of the not-when-I'm-on-the-lead-or-when-you're-looking mentality and that's going to take a while. What you'll need to do is take him for long, long walks first thing in the morning when he's busting to go! Don't let him in the garden, just straight out & walk him round & round outside until he literally can't hold it any more! Then, when he does anything (pees or poos) give him loads of silly, hyper praise, and maybe a really tasty treat.

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Mon Nov 12 2012, 12:10

i would feed him on something like that but its just too expensive for my wallet Sad.. could you recomend any other food that is round about bakers price but could be better..

so what do you advise to do about the digestion problem?

also i work shifts so i cant walk Rocky at the same time i each day i manage to get a short 20 min walk a day with him then take him some where on my days off and let him run and play with toys with him for a few hours he loves it. Laughing

mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 12:16

mattyp wrote:he goes out a number of times through the day including a long walk

mattyp wrote:also i work shifts so i cant walk Rocky at the same time i each day i manage to get a short 20 min walk a day with him then take him some where on my days off and let him run and play with toys with him for a few hours he loves it. Laughing

Sorry, I'm confused now - does he get a long walk every day, or just 20 minutes?

Staffords (all breeds, really) need at least two good long walks every day, maybe even three! 20 minutes just isn't enough, even if you give him extra on your days off.

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Mon Nov 12 2012, 12:20

You could try Pets at Home own brand , i have never used it but i know a guy with a Lab who does and he says it's fine .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Mon Nov 12 2012, 12:26

no i ment he goes out as in goes in the garden to do his buiness aslo he plays with next doors dog in their garden. thats what i ment by goes out through the day. He also gets a walk from me either before i start work at 2pm or when i finish work at 2pm i do alternate shifts 6-2 & 2-10.
mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Mon Nov 12 2012, 12:39

would you advice wagg? and at wat age to change from puppy to adult food?
mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Mon Nov 12 2012, 12:55

also i forgot to mention that i got up this morning and caught him eating his poop. Do you think my crate is too big? some one once told me that if he has a smaller crate he wont poo in it because he can get away from it?
mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Nov 12 2012, 15:23

Hi & welcome to the forum Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 15:54

hi from me and the boys

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Nov 12 2012, 17:21

hia from me and sasha Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Mon Nov 12 2012, 17:31

welcome, bakers and wag is a poor quailty feed for a dog, try harringtons its a lot better quailty, if you dogs pooing in the night you want to try and change the time of the last feed dont feed him so late.
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by mattyp Mon Nov 12 2012, 20:02

i have tried this for the last couple of days and is still doesnt seem to have helped.. some 1 i know who has working dogs has told me to try CHUDLEYS puppy food.. is it any good? iv looked on website and the ingredients look alot better than BAKERS..
mattyp
mattyp

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 20:21

Chudleys is a lot better than Balers, although Rocky's too old for the puppy food. The adult version still has meat as the second ingredient, which isn't too good, but yes, it's better than Bakers (but then eating cow pats is probably better than Bakers! Laughing )

You've probably realised by now that this forum has a real down on Bakers dog food! Big Grin

Re: the pooing in the crate - you could try dividing his crate down the middle with a piece of hardboard at night, but it still won't address the issue of where he goes to the toilet.

If he isn't getting a good long walk first thing in the morning it's going to be very difficult to get him used to a different routine for his toilets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Nov 12 2012, 20:22

if he pooing inside at hat age hes not getting enough walks,

here are the dog food we recommend Wink amazon is the best place to buy most of these

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 20:24

mattyp wrote:no i ment he goes out as in goes in the garden to do his buiness aslo he plays with next doors dog in their garden. thats what i ment by goes out through the day. He also gets a walk from me either before i start work at 2pm or when i finish work at 2pm i do alternate shifts 6-2 & 2-10.

All dogs need a structured walk, twice a day at least. For a stafford these should be at least 45 minutes each (they can take a lot more once they're 9 months/a year old) and should include some free play. Anything less will lead to a bored, anxious dog - and that can lead to trouble!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 20:36

Hello Matty and welcome from me and the kids Smile

I have posted a reply to you here , but I see there are some other factors have come into it now such as walking and diet

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t5313-how-do-i-stop-pooing-in-crate#385493

To me now looking at facts you need to
1) Get this pup more exercise (why can't you walk 20 mins minimum before and after your shift ) but at pups age it should be more like 30 mins at a time (5 mins per month is the guideline )
2) Get rid of the Bakers for a better option ( I see you have some ideas already )
3) Go back to basics on the crate training .

You are best to start a new thread on the subject as more people will look at it , please make it here

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f55-staffordshire-bull-terrier-puppy-chat

Most members will only post replies once in introductions , you only need to say hello once Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 21:20

Hi and welcome from Me n Steffi Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down