Nathan
Kathy
janey
julespercules
8 posters

Go down

spaying Empty spaying

Post by julespercules Thu Nov 08 2012, 21:17

i know its been done before but we were going to breed her so didnt look at it. Have since decided not to breed from her. So vets say before 1st season best but read on here that that might not be the case. She's 5 months now so need to make a decision soon.

What should i do?
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
spaying Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

spaying Empty Re: spaying

Post by janey Thu Nov 08 2012, 21:19

Think about it, before first season or after first season, much of a muchness whatever you read. Up to you Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Nov 08 2012, 21:21

If you can wait until she is about 18 months - 2 years old would be better, she will be more mature.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08 2012, 21:27

You'll get a host of different opinions here (and everywhere else).

My own view is that it's best to wait at least until after the first season, and preferably not till she's about 18 months - 2 years old.

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12763-long-term-health-risks-and-benefits-associated-with-spay-neuter-in-dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Fri Nov 09 2012, 00:39

Ill stick my neck out..im pro neueter/spay but have a respect for those that dont. Was never gonna get marley done but ...things change. My baby girl is def gonna have her first season and possibly second depending on how i feel about her. The "risks" stem from a paper bounded about the internet made up of 50 peer reviewed papes but not reviewed itself...and most quote 8% on second season when in fact its >1% i love my girl to bits so wont risk anything.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 09 2012, 19:24

personal; choice for me Tilly was about 18 months old after her 2nd season

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 09 2012, 19:38

I'd definitely wait until after the first season; they are at least physically mature then (well, physically mature enough to have puppies, according to Mother Nature).

If you can stick it out until she is 18/24 months old, so much the better.

Last edited by new Staffy owner on Fri Nov 09 2012, 19:39; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 09 2012, 20:25

I don't neuter like caryll but will always recommend to wait until at least 18-2 years before spaying or neutering when they are mature

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Sat Nov 10 2012, 14:47

thanks, will give it alot of thought
julespercules
julespercules
spaying Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahvallie1 Mon Nov 12 2012, 14:34

i was just speaking to a good friend about this, because i was reading about neutering Keegan and Mack.
his advice for me was that for males, wait til at least six months, if not more, for females, before their first heat
his reasoning was that males need the hormones for good joint growth, to prevent hip displaysia due to early neuter and a few other really good results.
he said that the female hormones, if you wait, do lead to higher chance of the breast cancers and those sorts of problems later on in life.
i am definitely waiting with the boys, but i am glad that i do not have to worry about a girl dog.
good luck with your decision Smile

isn't it funny how we agonize over the nuances of dog ownership and responsibility, but some folks just worry about how long to make the chain so the dog stays away from them. :/

Last edited by sarahvallie1 on Mon Nov 12 2012, 14:35; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited to add the good friend i was speaking to is a veterinarian.. sorry)

sarahvallie1
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Keegs, Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 4 mo, 16 mo
Dog Gender(s) : male, female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 15:58

I only have males and intend to have males.

I personally do not neuter at all and would not neuter a male or female.

If i had to i would only do either sex at least 2 years old.

It's a very personal choice and people should research into before deciding Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 19:24

sarahvallie1 wrote:i was just speaking to a good friend about this, because i was reading about neutering Keegan and Mack.
his advice for me was that for males, wait til at least six months, if not more, for females, before their first heat
his reasoning was that males need the hormones for good joint growth, to prevent hip displaysia due to early neuter and a few other really good results.
he said that the female hormones, if you wait, do lead to higher chance of the breast cancers and those sorts of problems later on in life.
i am definitely waiting with the boys, but i am glad that i do not have to worry about a girl dog.
good luck with your decision Smile :/

I notice that your friend is a vet, and these days vets advocate neutering whilst very young. Leaving aside the boys (because that is not the topic of this thread and castration has been discussed here on many threads)
I hate to disagree with a vet but when a bitch is spayed the uterus AND the ovaries are removed, and it is the ovaries that produce oestrogen. So after spaying, most of the oestrogen production will fade away and so not be a contributory factor towards breast cancer. Unless I've got this completely wrong, in which case I'm sure someone will be along to correct me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 20:58

If you neuter before maturity the growth plate closure will be delayed & the dog will be leggier & narrower than it would otherwise have been.

Although the incidence of mammary tumours is less in spayed bitches, and mammary cancer is one of the most common cancers in dogs, it is still not that common! The increase in risk if you spay after the fisrt or second saeson is really very small.

I would prefer to wait and allow the genitals to grow properly & the growth plates to close at the correct time.

Just my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Mon Nov 12 2012, 21:24

arrrrgggh
julespercules
julespercules
spaying Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 21:36

julespercules wrote:arrrrgggh

Well I'm sat here now with a perfectly healthy neutered girl who was done at 18 months Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 22:05

Dave wrote:
julespercules wrote:arrrrgggh

Well I'm sat here now with a perfectly healthy neutered girl who was done at 18 months Smile

Done after two seasons - about the right time IMHO.

Back to top Go down

Post by pepper12 Tue Nov 13 2012, 11:08

u can desex ur dog anywhere from 8 weeks of age but best b4 6 months of age
pepper12
pepper12
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : pepper
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 11:10

pepper12 wrote:u can desex ur dog anywhere from 8 weeks of age but best b4 6 months of age

That's a matter of opinion.

Most people wouldn't dream of neutering an 8 weeks old puppy. Who says between 4 & 6 months is the best? Vets will tell you that, but they never tell you about the drawbacks & health problems neutering that young can cause.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve.Sanders Tue Nov 13 2012, 13:38

Ive been agonising over this for a few weeks since we had Koda and asked on here and read other comments... altho there are mixed comments etc we have chosen to wait at least til her first season and umming and arrrring about waiting for her second only to let all her bits n pieces mature with her a bit first..
Steve.Sanders
Steve.Sanders
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 30/07/2012
Support total : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 19:25

Caryll wrote:
pepper12 wrote:u can desex ur dog anywhere from 8 weeks of age but best b4 6 months of age

That's a matter of opinion.

Most people wouldn't dream of neutering an 8 weeks old puppy. Who says between 4 & 6 months is the best? Vets will tell you that, but they never tell you about the drawbacks & health problems neutering that young can cause.

I had my own vet recommending castrating my male pup at 6 months old. I didn't question her at the time, but went away and researched. I have had dogs (admittedly only bitches) for the last 30 years, and always believed the maxim that a male should not be castrated before he was habitually lifting his leg, and a female should not be spayed until after her first season. My bitches were in fact only spayed after their third season, and this was because they invariably suffered false pregnancies (they weren't Staffs, which seem to be less prone to them.)

I would LOVE to know why vets (and Pepper 12) recommend desexing before 6 months of age. What are the pros?

Btw Steve - most of us agonise on when if ever to neuter our dogs, given the conflicting advice of vets to neuter as soon as they are born (OK, exaggeration, but not much) and the evidence out there that there are many reasons to delay neutering until the dog (whether male or female) is mature. Oh yes it is an AWFUL pain when bitches come into season - the attention from other dogs, the subsequent false pregnancy (although as I said before, that doesn't seem to be as bad in Staffs as the breed I owned previously), and the mess (although again, time has moved on and there are now special nappies you can buy - my God I wish they were available when I had my bitches!). I must admit that I am pleased to hear that you have decided to wait at least until after her first season.

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Tue Nov 13 2012, 22:54

It will be three weeks on friday that Moll started her season and I have to say as icky you imagine it in your mind prior to the event...its not that bad and only lasts a few weeks! With the dog pants she was in the house trapsing about as normal Smile

There are positives. It made us venture to pastures new finding new routes on a not so trodden path Wink

I think the reason alot of people neuter prior to the first season is convenience...not a reason to operate in my opinion. I chose to get a female dog and with it comes responsibilities (and pantyliners)!!

cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 20.04.12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 65

Back to top Go down