Snarling

5 posters

Go down

Snarling Empty Snarling

Post by reuben Thu Nov 08 2012, 11:41

Just got back from our morning walk and am a bit alarmed at Bacchus' behaviour.

We came across a young springer spaniel, not quite full grown, which was showing submissive behaviour towards Bacchus and he became quite excitable, nipping and quite aggressive sounding snarling. Later in the walk we met a full grown beagle bitch and although it was behaving normally he displayed the same behaviour.

I doubt it was aggression at his age ( 16 weeks ) but it did sound quite alarming to me ( first time staffie owner ) and also I would imagine to the other dog owners. No one said anything but I'm not sure how to handle this situation should it happen again. Should I reprimand him for this sort of behaviour and if so how?

BTW there were about five or six dogs, all off-lead including Bacchus, except for the springer and all but the springer and the beagle were much bigger than him. He played well with the others especially a collie called Megan who knocked him about quite a bit.
Any advice appreciated.

P.S.

He is gowing at a terrific rate and I will post some more pics when we get back to Aberdeen next Tuesday. ( we are in Glasgow at the moment ).
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Snarling Empty Re: Snarling

Post by Nathan Thu Nov 08 2012, 11:55

what was his body langauge like? did he do the play bow? Laska makes some horrid noises when she plays.
it sounds a bit like as the two other dogs were on lead and unable to play and not showing any intrest in playing he may have been simply goading them into it.
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08 2012, 11:57

Staffords can be very vocal when they play. As Nathan says, what was the body language like?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Nov 08 2012, 12:01

The link below should help you recognise the body language. They can be very vocal in play too. I doubt at this age if it was aggression :

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dogbodylanguage.html

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu Nov 08 2012, 12:07

No he wasn't doing the bowing thing, he was lunging at them. Only the springer was on the lead. With the beagle he was grabbing her ears even although she " told him off" a couple of times.

I'm pretty sure it was only rough play but I would like to know how to handle it, as this is fine at the moment when he is small, but don't want people and their dogs avoiding him when he grows.

Have started attending staffie puppy classes so will be interested to see how he behaves at the next class.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08 2012, 12:15

When he was lunging, were his lips drawn right back from his teeth, with his ears flat back against his head? If not, then he was almost certainly playing.

But as you say, a lot of people won't see it that way, so if it seems like he's getting a bit rough, step in & get him to calm down a bit on lead before being allowed to play again.

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Thu Nov 08 2012, 12:50

Molly sounds like a little gremlin when shes playing with our other dog Watson sometimes.

We've tried to curb it primarily because it doesn't look too good having a snarling staffy pup lol but to be honest I'm not worried as hers is all play! When it gets a bit too much we just step in and make the pair of them sit, for a good treat of course!

I've owned lots of dogs previously and the noise Molly makes when playing is definately a party trick belonging to staffs!
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 20.04.12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08 2012, 13:00

Loki doesn't make any noises when playing, but he is a little beast Laughing he used to be so rude; he used to dive at the other dogs to play with them, literally not even a sniff first. After a few tellings off (nothing physical, just a couple of warning growls), and a few dogs being very annoyed at him, he learnt to actually show some manners. Not that I'd suggest you just let Bacchus get told off cos you don't know what the other dog will do, but if it looks like he's getting too rough or annoying the other dog, take him away, even for just a moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu Nov 08 2012, 13:50

Thanks guys. I do think it was just rough play but he needs to learn some manners. will work on it. nail biting
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Thu Nov 08 2012, 21:12

Hi Reuben

Tash does this too but it is all playing, not so much the snarling noise but that has come out too, but the nipping and the going for dogs ears. she got a right telling off from a collie who was protecting his labrador friend, he growled at her and then when she went submissive he put his paw on her back till she calmed down and then appeared to kiss her face and they both went off playing. Very cute.

Its very scary but most dogs will put them in their place. I put her back on teh lead if she is getting too boisterous with other dogs.

jules
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Snarling Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25