What to do when the weather turns cold

+2
Jackieb
Nor Cal
6 posters

Go down

What to do when the weather turns cold Empty What to do when the weather turns cold

Post by Nor Cal Wed Nov 07 2012, 15:58

I've been wondering about how my little dude will be when the weather gets colder. Was wondering if due to their short hair, Staffies are more inclined than other breeds to get cold? I'm in California, so it does not get too cold here but was wondering if Bacon gets cold in his crate during the night. Right now he sleeps in his crate with a blanket and a towel... He sleeps through the night without whining so I assume he's ok...

The winter temperature here can be between 7 - 12 degrees celsius (45F - 55F). Would he need a doggie jacket when i take him for walks or is he ok in those temps?

Curious...

Nor Cal
Nor Cal
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacon
Dog(s) Ages : Born 3/24/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

What to do when the weather turns cold Empty Re: What to do when the weather turns cold

Post by Jackieb Wed Nov 07 2012, 16:26

I reckon he'd be fine at night in 7-12 degrees, obviously indoors it's gonna be warmer. Just make sure there is no draft where his crate is. Put in a few more extra blankets and he will snuggle himself into them at night xx
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

What to do when the weather turns cold Empty Re: What to do when the weather turns cold

Post by Nor Cal Wed Nov 07 2012, 16:53

Yes, definitely warmer indoors.
Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Nov 07 2012, 16:55

I'm sure he will be fine with his bed away from any drafts and his blanket to keep warm if needed.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Nov 07 2012, 17:55

We do worry about our furry (or furless) babies Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 07 2012, 20:47

at 7-12c they will be fine it gets alot colder here in the winter and my two have a hoodie each for when it's realllllly cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 07 2012, 20:52

Jees 7-12 deg c you need to go into hiberantion for that , how ever do you manage cold

Hahaha I was out smoking at work in a short sleeve shirt today in what felt like -20 deg.................................you guys kill me Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Nov 07 2012, 21:18

7-12 thats the hight of british summertime Wink a staff will take that no problem. Always good to have options though so if they need to snuggle into someting they can.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 07 2012, 22:07

They should be fine without a coat but we put one on Suki anyway at those temps. An extra blanket at night would also be okay

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Wed Nov 07 2012, 23:43

Haha, good to know he's ok.

I used to be the person who laughed at dog owners who put sweatshirts on their dogs and now I'm one of THEM! haha.
Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08 2012, 08:30

Nor Cal wrote:Haha, good to know he's ok.

I used to be the person who laughed at dog owners who put sweatshirts on their dogs and now I'm one of THEM! haha.

Ah, same here, I thought it was only ever a fashion thing and not practical because they have fur. But I saw Loki shivering and was like "that's it, I'm getting him clothes" Laughing. But yeah, he should be fine Smile Loki was fine until the really cold nights kicked in and that wasn't long ago. I'm sure living in California, your winter is still fine for a Staff Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 08 2012, 16:35

Saxon doesn't start wearing a coat until it's in the 30's (3C or Less), unless it's really windy. Being born and raised in Maine, he's used to the cold, though! You'll know when he's cold. He'll start shivering. That's when I'd buy him a coat or sweater. Indoors, though, he should be fine, unless you don't have any heat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Nov 08 2012, 19:22

Mine are fine here. They only really go out to use the bathroom and go for walks though in that weather. We only use jackets when we go to the snow or camp if it is going to go down into 40s or below. You can always see how he goes. Mine hate the jackets unless it is really cold. Been down in the 40s here in the early AM and mine all are fine without a coat.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Nor Cal Thu Nov 08 2012, 20:40

Thanks guys. I thought he was ok, but didn't want to be cruel!
Nor Cal
Nor Cal

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down