treat too slow ????

2 posters

Go down

treat too slow ???? Empty treat too slow ????

Post by caz64 Fri Nov 02 2012, 18:59

help!!! for months now we have been treating Dusty after every wee and toilet. she does the wee, we say good girl she comes a few feet and we give her the treat. Are we doing this wrong because every time we go out she wees on the floor or in her crate. even if it is only half an hour. She is five months old and does not wee at night. I think I am losing the plot. Crying or Very sad
caz64
caz64
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dusty
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

treat too slow ???? Empty Re: treat too slow ????

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 19:02

Do you leave a toilet spot for her still or does she do it on the bedding

Back to top Go down

Post by caz64 Fri Nov 02 2012, 19:25

she does it on the bedding
caz64
caz64

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 19:27

ah ok , then possibly we are looking at separation anxiety ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 19:30

How often does she get out for a walk , I would first try making sure she gets a decent walk immediately before you go out

Back to top Go down

Post by caz64 Fri Nov 02 2012, 19:43

Dave wrote:ah ok , then possibly we are looking at separation anxiety ??

what can we do to help solve that?
caz64
caz64

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 19:45

caz64 wrote:

Well to be honest it's not an area I have experience in , but you've not answered my question about the exercise and walks immediately before you go out Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Fri Nov 02 2012, 20:08

How much water are you allowing her ? puppys are greedy and as long as it's there they will drink it , if we filled Dukes bowl ( he is 13 weeks ) he would have a good go at shifting the lot so we give him a small amount with his food , when he has finished we remove it , if he really wants a drink he will go and sit in his feeding place but again we allow a small amount and never fill or half fill his bowl .
mickgill
mickgill
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by caz64 Fri Nov 02 2012, 20:30

Dave wrote:
caz64 wrote:

Well to be honest it's not an area I have experience in , but you've not answered my question about the exercise and walks immediately before you go out Smile

sorry she has a quick walk in morning(10 min) play at lunch time and long walk in the evening (45 min)
caz64
caz64

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 20:41

I think first thing is to make sure she has a walk and longer than 10 mins before you leave her , if she's tired she will be less stressed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 21:01

caz64 wrote:

The best way is to start with leaving them for a few seconds - go right outside the house (they know if you haven't!) and come straight back in. Don't make any fuss before you leave (no goodbyes, no cuddles etc) just go. Don't make any fuss when you come back, just act as though it's all perfectly normal & happens all the time! Gradually build up the time - 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes etc until she's happy with an hour or more. It'll take a while but you'll get good results.

Re: the weeing when you're out - if it isn't seperation anxiety then she's not getting enough time to empty her bladder before you go out. Try walking her for about 20 - 25 minutes, then potter about indoors for 5 minutes before you go out. That way you don't walk straight out the door & she has time to wind down after the walk.

mickgill wrote: How much water are you allowing her ? puppys are greedy and as long as it's there they will drink it , if we filled Dukes bowl ( he is 13 weeks ) he would have a good go at shifting the lot so we give him a small amount with his food , when he has finished we remove it , if he really wants a drink he will go and sit in his feeding place but again we allow a small amount and never fill or half fill his bowl .

I would never not leave water down for any dog, but especially a pup. They need to be able to drink when they are thirsty. If you limit their water they are more likely to 'binge' drink when you put some down.

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Fri Nov 02 2012, 21:50

Been keeping Dogs over 30 years Caryll i have always used this method as did my Father before me , as i say Duke lets me know if he is thirsty which i have to say is not a lot , little and often has always worked for me and he doesn't wet the bed , when i take him out first thing in the morning he has a wee which suggest he has had enough water in him overnight i feel if i gave him more he to would wet the bed .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 21:55

I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying that I'd always have water down! Big Grin I think it can be dangerous in as much as a puppy that gets very thirsty (before it learns to 'ask' for water) may binge when it's put down. That can cause bloat.

As far as I am aware, all the guidelines for looking after dogs include the fact that dogs should always have fresh water available at all times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 21:59

Caryll wrote:I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying that I'd always have water down! Big Grin I think it can be dangerous in as much as a puppy that gets very thirsty (before it learns to 'ask' for water) may binge when it's put down. That can cause bloat.

As far as I am aware, all the guidelines for looking after dogs include the fact that dogs should always have fresh water available at all times.

We used to take Tommy's water away after a certain time say 21.00 but due to reading about stuff like bloat stopped doing it and we don't experience any problems.

Also has to be said before we get in a big debate it has already been stated that she is fine through the night etc so holding her bladder does not seem to be an issue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 22:02

Dave wrote:How often does she get out for a walk , I would first try making sure she gets a decent walk immediately before you go out

Completly agree

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 22:06

mickgill wrote:Been keeping Dogs over 30 years Caryll i have always used this method as did my Father before me , as i say Duke lets me know if he is thirsty which i have to say is not a lot , little and often has always worked for me and he doesn't wet the bed , when i take him out first thing in the morning he has a wee which suggest he has had enough water in him overnight i feel if i gave him more he to would wet the bed .

In 42 years of having dogs I've never had a dog pee its bed (after housetraining) just because it has had access to water!

I take Dempsey out for his last walk at about 10.30 - 11pm. When I get back I empty his water bowl & half fill it with fresh water. He goes out again at about 8 - 9am & has no problem at all in holding on till then, despite having water available.

What about the hot summer nights? What if your dog gets thirsty & can't drink?

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Sat Nov 03 2012, 08:12

Hot summer nights when was that Laughing , i did state that Duke will let me know if he wants or needs more water and all my dogs in the past have done this , i would not let my dog go thirsty but i think pups are very greedy till trained and will take on more water than they need , my Dad used to say are you trying to bust his kidneys or flood the bloody house out if i gave a pup a large bowl of water , Duke i was told by the staff at PAH yesterday is in fantastic condition so im doing something right Smile
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 03 2012, 09:08

mickgill wrote:Hot summer nights when was that Laughing , i did state that Duke will let me know if he wants or needs more water and all my dogs in the past have done this , i would not let my dog go thirsty but i think pups are very greedy till trained and will take on more water than they need , my Dad used to say are you trying to bust his kidneys or flood the bloody house out if i gave a pup a large bowl of water , Duke i was told by the staff at PAH yesterday is in fantastic condition so im doing something right Smile

Whatever works for you at the end of the day I think Mick Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Sat Nov 03 2012, 10:52

Well you can't teach an old dog new tricks Dave Smile
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 03 2012, 11:30

Maybe. We'll have to agree to disagree. A pup can't tell you it's thirsty till it's learnt how to. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 03 2012, 12:34

mickgill wrote:Well you can't teach an old dog new tricks Dave Smile

Technically not correct and we have a few members would disagree with that one Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down