My dog won't walk unless my son comes!!!!!

3 posters

Go down

Crying My dog won't walk unless my son comes!!!!!

Post by boxerjay2003 Wed Oct 31 2012, 11:42

Hi everyone

I'm in a real pickle with my staffy who is 1.5 years old. He's a great dog and is really friendly. His realtionship with my 2yr old son is excellent. He has a tendency to sometimes jump up at people when he's over excited but he never does this with my son. They're very close.

The main problem we've got is walking him. We live in a terraced house so when he needs the toilet we take him to a small green across the road and he's fine with this. However, if we want to walk him any further than that he simply goes to the ground (sometimes shivers) and refuses to walk. We've tried for ages to get him to walk and he simply won't budge.

However, if my son comes on the walk the he's fine and will walk with us no problems. Because of work commitments and my partner being heavily pregnant I can only walk him with my son on weekends, which is obviously nowhere near enough.

I'm kind of confused now and have no idea of what else to do to get him to walk without my son being there. Any ideas would be much appreciated!!!

boxerjay2003
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: My dog won't walk unless my son comes!!!!!

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31 2012, 11:49

Hi & welcome to the forum. It'd be great if you could introduce yourself here...
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Do you know anybody who has a nice, well behaved dog that you could go for walks with? Sometimes having a doggie friend will encourage a reluctant walker.

How often does your dog go for a walk, and how long are they?

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Oct 31 2012, 11:53

Sounds to me like he protects your son, and may be worried about leaving you son. They are not called nanny dogs for no reason.

I also agree with Caryll about trying to get another well behaved dog to walk with.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31 2012, 13:02

2nd dog to walk with is a great idea , as long as you are borrowing one but I am assuming at the moment he is not getting his walks through the week and he must have these so a quick solution is needed to your problem, have you also tried other methods such as high value treats ??
What about the car , will he get in that alright , you could try putting him in the car and take him somewhere where he can run and have fun and walk him from there

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Oct 31 2012, 13:27

I'm with Dave on this, popping them in a car and going somewhere new might be exactly what is needed, hi and welcome Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31 2012, 21:04

The car ride is a good idea as well as treats. You could also try brining something with your sons scent on it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31 2012, 23:06

how are you reacting when he plants himself? If you are coaxing him and trying to get him to come to you you might be inadvertently praising his behaviour. Have you tried just grabbing the lead, making no fuss andd just walking around the streets and not sticking to your routine of going to the green? There may be a lot of other dog smells there. a more nervous dog will not want to go to somewhere a stronger "smelling" dog has been. its only natural.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down