Jumping up/counter-surfing/opening doors...

Go down

Jumping up/counter-surfing/opening doors... Empty Jumping up/counter-surfing/opening doors...

Post by lollylupin Tue Oct 30 2012, 14:51

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I picked up our new doggy, Skeelo, on Friday afternoon. He is 1 yr 9 months and is a real teenager... He loves to lie on top of both of us on the sofa, but does know the sit and stay command. However, he is dreadful at countersurfing and jumping up at doors (think his previous owner taught him how to open as she was paralysed).

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop them from countersurfing, begging and jumping up at doors? He is getting a little better - we don't want to reward bad behaviour by giving him attention, so are trying to ignore him and reward when he has all 4 paws on the ground.

Any help greatly received!
lollylupin
lollylupin
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skeelo
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Jumping up/counter-surfing/opening doors... Empty Re: Jumping up/counter-surfing/opening doors...

Post by Guest Tue Oct 30 2012, 16:42

Sorry I thought I had already replied to your post , must have made an error somewhere along the way .......damned computers.

The firm NO is probably the best tool in your box but you have the right idea by only rewarding 4 paws on the ground. I am struggling a little with my 6 month old for this but with the technique we are seeing improvements ..boys will be boys Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Jumping up/counter-surfing/opening doors... Empty Re: Jumping up/counter-surfing/opening doors...

Post by Guest Tue Oct 30 2012, 16:45

Persistence & consistency are the key! Plus, of course, you'll have to watch her like a hawk!

What i usually do with begging is teach the down & stay & make sure that's what they do when I eat. For a while, you'll be up & down like a yo-yo when she gets up to stare at you, but she will eventually get it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 30 2012, 16:53

Caryll wrote:Persistence & consistency are the key! Plus, of course, you'll have to watch her like a hawk!

What i usually do with begging is teach the down & stay & make sure that's what they do when I eat. For a while, you'll be up & down like a yo-yo when she gets up to stare at you, but she will eventually get it!

I sort of get used to looking down in my lap to see Tommy's nose and eyes whilst I'm eating my tea at the desk, he knows he's not getting anything especially when he cries for it but he doesn't give up. Meanwhile Tilly is just laid in her bed looking at him thinking shame on you

Back to top Go down

Post by lollylupin Wed Oct 31 2012, 11:38

Thanks guys. Going to get a kong today to keep him entertained - hope that might help towards taking his attention away from us eating. Can anyone advise what size to get?

Thanks!
lollylupin
lollylupin

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31 2012, 12:02

lollylupin wrote:Thanks guys. Going to get a kong today to keep him entertained - hope that might help towards taking his attention away from us eating. Can anyone advise what size to get?

Thanks!

BIG!! That's if you don't want it to be ripped apart. I know my boy's an EBT, but he goes straight through most kongs; a black kong extreme will last him a bit longer, but he eventually bites chunks out of it! Big Grin Try putting some peanut butter in it & then freezing it - it'll keep him entertained for ages!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 31 2012, 20:37

The larger the kong the better.

Back to top Go down

Post by lollylupin Thu Nov 01 2012, 11:54

We got him an extreme kong and he loves it! However, it only takes him 10 mins or so to get all the food out! He has now also learnt how to pull on the door handle and actually pull the door to him to open it... I came home from work yesterday to an open sitting room door and he had eaten my mum's glasses, one of my shoes, the filling from a cushion and some of my face wipes.. Luckily nothing else! We have now had to wedge the doors with newspaper - anyone else had trouble with this?!
lollylupin
lollylupin

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 12:43

Sounds like he has too much energy for his own good! Laughing

What sort of exercise & food is he getting?

Back to top Go down

Post by lollylupin Thu Nov 01 2012, 13:40

I take him out for 20/25 mins before work, then when I get in at 3.15, take him out for 40/45 mins. My husband takes him for 45mins/1 hour around 6.30pm.

We are feeding him on Burgess Supadog Sensitive, it is what they recommended from Wood Green.
lollylupin
lollylupin

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 13:45

You could try a longer walk in the morning before you go to work? If he's tired he's less likely to get up to mischief.

He could be getting bored, or might even have a touch of seperation anxiety. If it's anxiety then it may settle as he gets more comfortable & 'safe' in his new home. If it's boredom then it'll carry on.

Does he have things to play with when you're out? A Stag Bar is a good chew item that won't splinter & is hypoallergenic (just natural stag horn). They also last for ages!

Back to top Go down

Post by lollylupin Thu Nov 01 2012, 13:55

I will try a longer walk in the morning. although he seems more excited when he gets back from his walks! We haven't wanted to let him off his lead as yet... not sure on his recall, he does seem pretty good though.. I've been playing fetch with him in our house, he loves catching his kong and bringing it to me to throw!

I saw the stag bars in pets at home - think I will get one. At the moment, he has a rawhide bone and a rag toy, along with his kong. Should I take his toys away when we get home, so he doesn't get bored of them?
lollylupin
lollylupin

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 14:02

Not necessarily, but I'd definitely take the rawhide away!

I can't stand the stuff, it's so dangerous. It swells in the stomach so if a dog bites off a large-ish piece & swallows it, it could cause a blockage. And let's face it, with jaws like a staff, they can easily bite off large pieces!

If you get a stag bar, get the largest one you can - it'll last longer & be more interesting to him!

Some people only give certain toys at certain times, but I never have (other than one or two toys that he's not allowed to play with indoors, like a boomer ball). If he gets more exercise before you go out, he'll sleep longer & so won't get up to so much mischief! That's the theory, anyway! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 14:48

Loki always seems more excited after a walk, but if you leave him alone he'll have no reason to be exciteable, so he settles down. I think the excitement is just for our benefit, so a longer walk in the morning could definitely help Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down