Battle of wills

3 posters

Go down

Battle of wills  Empty Battle of wills

Post by Lou&percy :) Thu Oct 25 2012, 13:06

Hello, all is going well in Percy's crazy little puppy world, think he's starting to test the boundaries and become the stroppy teenager at the mo....

When we're out walking I always do some training at some stage of the walk, sometimes it's to regain his attention and other times it's just part of the fun

Today we were out walking and after a really good run round the park and a good game of hide and seek, Percy was a bit hyped up, so thought I would do some sits/stays/tricks etc just to get his focus back on me.... So started with a sit, which he did straight away, I praised and gave him a treat. Then I asked him lie down....he just ignored me, I repeated the command, with more enthusiasm, used a treat and he just looked at me as if I was crazy.

Tried many times, walked him on a few steps, said sit again which he did after about 5 commands (normally always on the 1st) I stood my ground though I we didn't move till Percy did lie down, took a good ten (ish) mins thou....I made a huge fuss that he had EVENTUALLY done what I had asked and then we walked on,

In this situation should I stand my ground and not continue until he has done what I'm asking, no matter how long it takes etc,

X

Lou&percy :)
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Battle of wills  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Percy
Dog(s) Ages : 22 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Battle of wills  Empty Re: Battle of wills

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 13:31

Personally I would keep trying for a while but once you've been more than an hour I don't think he must be in the mood Laughing They can be so awkward at times but I never push too hard , they just don't get their treat

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Oct 25 2012, 13:51

Keep doing what your doing and just ignore everyone that thinks your a loony Laughing
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Thu Oct 25 2012, 14:35

Ah, that look...means, "I know what you want, but I don't have any intention of doing it right now...and I can wait you out..." Big Grin

Our trainer says don't give a command more than once, then just gently but firmly put them in the position you want (or pick them up, or lift their front paws up with your hands or with their harness strap, whatever).

I have to admit I would have gotten my "sit" or "down" and then stopped working for the day. Maybe it wasn't a teachable moment, as they say.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 22:29

I don't normally keep going as they have short attention spans. If Suki won't do a certain command I will change to one she will do, give a treat and end the session.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down