Got our new puppy! But have a question.

+3
janey
Nosipho
claire
7 posters

Go down

Got our new puppy!  But have a question. Empty Got our new puppy! But have a question.

Post by claire Tue Jan 25 2011, 16:30

Can't believe it, we've actually got our puppy! We didn't get the rescue puppy in the end because we just wasn't sure how big or what she would look like grown up. In the end, however, I was put in touch with a great breeder through the SBT Association who lived local to us. Ended up getting a red bitch called "Winnie". She's 8 weeks old and a real cutie. Unfortunately, I'm not very good with uploading pictures etc so you may have to wait for piccies. My question though is this:- my husband wants to build a gate/barrier to keep her safe and confined in the utility room whilst we are out etc, and wants to build it once and for all for when she is fully grown. Could anyone recommend how high this should be. I have no idea how high Staffs can jump.

claire
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Got our new puppy!  But have a question. Empty Re: Got our new puppy! But have a question.

Post by Nosipho Tue Jan 25 2011, 16:43

They can jump pretty high (some can even clear a 5/6 foot fence), however this shouldn't be a problem if she is never shown that she CAN jump it! Most people who separate their house up on this forum tend to use stairgates for children (think you can quite a cheap one from argos). As long as you don't encourage her to stand up on the gate (tapping it etc) or climb over it yourself she shouldn't think to jump over (however there are always the exception dogs who will jump anything.

the younger you start and the smaller she is the more she will see the gate as an unquestionable barrier, make sure shes got loads of toys and her bed in there and leave the gate open when you are in an she should see the utlity room as 'her den'!

Good luck, look forward to seeing some pics Smile Which breeder did you get her from?
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Got our new puppy!  But have a question. Empty Re: Got our new puppy! But have a question.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 25 2011, 16:45

claire wrote: Could anyone recommend how high this should be. I have no idea how high Staffs can jump.

High enough that they will scale most things if they really want to! If you need to confine her for short periods (say a couple of hours) then you'll be better off getting a crate.

Baby gates will contain them for a while, and some will never even try to jump them, because they are used to it being a 'barrier'.

Congratulations on getting her, by the way.

Last edited by Caryll on Tue Jan 25 2011, 20:35; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jan 25 2011, 18:43

I have a stairgate (on the lounge door) its from argos in the pets section as its higher than a babygate and designed for dogs, well obviously! She has never even attempted to jump it and works a treat, also its easy to move around the house if you need to block other rooms. Was about £30 x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 25 2011, 19:31

Congrats on your new pup cannot wait to see pics Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by debbiewaterhouse Tue Jan 25 2011, 19:59

I'd go for the crate option instead, initial outlay is more expensive, but they feel really safe in crates, mine has a fitted cover with pockets on the back, i got it from this site:

http://www.cages-direct.co.uk/

Amazon also has some good ones.

They're also great on Bonfire Night and New Years Eve when all the fireworks are going off.

Have fun with "Winnie" she'll give you loads of pleasure thumbs up
debbiewaterhouse
debbiewaterhouse
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Divorced
Dogs Name(s) : Hollie & Dotts
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 & 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Females
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 25 2011, 20:42

I agree with debbiewaterhouse crate is a much better option just because they can jump pretty high especially with a run up! .. my previous staffy jumped our 7ft fence after a cat once .. and if she trys to jump and doesn't quite make it she could injure herself
enjoy you're new pup!! cant wait for piks! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 25 2011, 20:50

Have to agree with the Crate... A puppy can be very hard work and whilst they love their crate and will call it home.... it can be a real life saver for you when you have "had enough"..lol
My Holly sleeps in her crate from 10pm till 7pm... no fuss.
It also helps you with toilet training and house breaking..
plus like the others have said it is hand for transport and also fireworks and when you have visitors that arent dog friendly

There is plenty of info on here about crate trainign and it has been a god send for me.. I would never have another puppy without a crate.
fantastic little homes for dogs that keep them safe Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 25 2011, 21:03

Milly loves her crate don't know what we would have done without it and as said above there is lot's of info on crate training on the forum about this.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jan 25 2011, 21:24

Never used a crate myself. There are certainly positives in them and maybe I would have never worried so much if I had. But have never had any trouble with trusting them in a shut off area. First was confined to the kitchen to start with and my second, hasn't ever had to be confined, if she has a bad belly and I'm at work I put the gate over the bathroom.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 25 2011, 21:45

I'd also recommend a crate congrats on the new pup looking forward to some pics

Back to top Go down

Post by Holsten Tue Jan 25 2011, 22:20

Congratulations on your new puppy ,especially as its a red Wink cant wait to see some pics
Holsten
Holsten

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Holsten and Jaydee
Dog Gender(s) : male and female

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Wed Jan 26 2011, 00:16

Awww just seen this so please ignore the post in puppy n foxes.
Congratulations to you on your little puppy im sure she will be everything you need and more cant wait to see the piccies and you got a red lovely cant wait to see the pictures im so happy for you Big Grin
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Wed Jan 26 2011, 11:06

Congrats on the new addition!

When Molly was 6 weeks old, we used a fire guard, about knee height to block off the stairs, she is now 13 month old, and can almost jump 5 foot, yet she will not attempt to jump over the fire guard if it is in the hall way, unless we encourage her to, and even then she is not sure.
We have 2 baby gates outside, which she can jump over, but doesn't as again, they've been there a while.

I heard a story once about an elephant who had a thin piece of chain around his leg as a youngster, as he grew up, they never changed the chain, as a fully grown elephant he could easily break the chain, but because it was too strong as a youngster he never tried.

In my case, Molly is the same, so you may not need something huge.

As the others have said, a crate would be a great idea! Molly used hers up until about 6 months old, I think, then we got rid of it mainly because she was too big for her bed, so we tried a thick padded mat, she ripped it up. So now she has a bed under the stairs with old duvets. Which she still rips up.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Jan 26 2011, 11:31

Cornish-Muscle wrote:Congrats on the new addition!

When Molly was 6 weeks old, we used a fire guard, about knee height to block off the stairs, she is now 13 month old, and can almost jump 5 foot, yet she will not attempt to jump over the fire guard if it is in the hall way, unless we encourage her to, and even then she is not sure.
We have 2 baby gates outside, which she can jump over, but doesn't as again, they've been there a while.

I heard a story once about an elephant who had a thin piece of chain around his leg as a youngster, as he grew up, they never changed the chain, as a fully grown elephant he could easily break the chain, but because it was too strong as a youngster he never tried.

In my case, Molly is the same, so you may not need something huge.

As the others have said, a crate would be a great idea! Molly used hers up until about 6 months old, I think, then we got rid of it mainly because she was too big for her bed, so we tried a thick padded mat, she ripped it up. So now she has a bed under the stairs with old duvets. Which she still rips up.

Thats what I meant, dog's minds work in such predicatable ways! Hehe Tongues
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 26 2011, 11:40

Ty was never crate trained and he is confined to the hall way and hubby biult a gate to keep him from going upstairs, just measured it and its 44" Ty prob could jump it now he's fully grown if he wanted to but he never has. My 7 month old staff is crate trained and in the hall also and i would say the crate has been my best buy! x

Back to top Go down

Post by claire Wed Jan 26 2011, 12:55

thanks everyone,
We actually do have a crate which is kept in the utility room. When I'm housetraining I confine her in her crate but at night I leave the crate door open and let her have the freedom of the utility room too.

claire

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down