Won't do her business while she's out

5 posters

Go down

Won't do her business while she's out  Empty Won't do her business while she's out

Post by Beryltheperil Sat Oct 20 2012, 20:56

We've had Beryl home with us since Tuesday, the home think she's about 3 years old but everyone we meet expresses surprise that she would be so small and fully grown.

Her back ground is ( and ok going to sound a bit judgemental ) a bit typical Staffie Chav, single mum in a 2 bed council house with 7 children between 3-17 and 2 other staffies as well as Beryl ( all 3 staffies were take off her when she was evicted for being a nuisance neighbour!)

Anyway her issues is we have take her for short walks ( 5 mins up the path) to long walks ( 2 hour country walks) and the whole time she's out she doesn't even show an interest in going for a pee or a poo! Have woke up to a number of little presents in the kitchen and front room, but she's always held and pee'd in the garden ( or the central heating being on means its drying out before we find it!)

Will this behaviour change ( possible she's marking her territory?) (Is there anything we might be able to do to get her to do her business on walks?

THanks in advance

Claire and Beryl the Peril
Beryltheperil
Beryltheperil
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Beryl
Dog(s) Ages : 1-3
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Won't do her business while she's out  Empty Re: Won't do her business while she's out

Post by Guest Sat Oct 20 2012, 22:03

It could be nerves and she is just settling in. Make sure to take her out every hour or so if possible and praise her when she goes.

Back to top Go down

Won't do her business while she's out  Empty Re: Won't do her business while she's out

Post by CMR Sat Oct 20 2012, 22:07

there's hope just be a little patient. teach her like you would a pup and make sure you give her treats like world welfare depended on it whenever she eventually does it. whatever you do, don't tell her off when she does it indoors just encourage her to do it outside. it sounds to me like a dog that hasnt been properly trained and instead been chastised so she just fears emptying in owners presence rather that know not to empty indoors

good luck
CMR
CMR

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 20 2012, 22:21

Hi to you and Beryl. ( you didn't mention your name). My Lola has a similar problem. I didn't get her until she was about 6 months, she will not go to the loo when she is on a walk unless she is desperate> She will wee while she is walking literally cos she can't hold it in> First thing she does when she comes home is race out in the garden and do a poo. I may be wrong in my assumption but I think Beryl has been physically punished when caught having an accident in the house. So when she is in company she is scared to toilet incase of punishment hence leaving surprise parcels! I would crate her when you are out. When you come in let her out in the back for the loo but don't hover over her(make sure she thinks you aren't watching), praise her when she comes in so she associates with coming in from toilet as good and she is a good girl. sorry if that was a bit long winded x Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beryltheperil Sat Oct 20 2012, 22:34

Chiara wrote:Hi to you and Beryl. ( you didn't mention your name). My Lola has a similar problem. I didn't get her until she was about 6 months, she will not go to the loo when she is on a walk unless she is desperate> She will wee while she is walking literally cos she can't hold it in> First thing she does when she comes home is race out in the garden and do a poo. I may be wrong in my assumption but I think Beryl has been physically punished when caught having an accident in the house. So when she is in company she is scared to toilet incase of punishment hence leaving surprise parcels! I would crate her when you are out. When you come in let her out in the back for the loo but don't hover over her(make sure she thinks you aren't watching), praise her when she comes in so she associates with coming in from toilet as good and she is a good girl. sorry if that was a bit long winded x Big Grin

Not long winded at all fantastic answer, as with all her behaviour we are very much playing a guessing game! Have just cleared up the poo and not made a big deal out of it, your guess fits as my Dad took her out last night and said she hid herself in very deep undergrowth yesterday and hes pretty sure she heard her pee

thanks again

Claire clown
Beryltheperil
Beryltheperil

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Beryl
Dog(s) Ages : 1-3
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 20 2012, 22:41

I would take her right back to basics. Pretend she's a puppy & take her in the garden every hour & praise her to the skies when she goes. Don't react at all if she has an accident indoors.

Then, instead of taking her to the garden, take her round the block. If she pees, loads of praise.

She hasn't had the greatest start to life, but she'll catch on with patience & praise.

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Sat Oct 20 2012, 22:58

I agree, treat her like a puppy, take her out frequently, particularly after meals. After a meal crate her if she doesn't go, repeat every 20-30 minutes.

When you catch her in the act outside, lots of praise and an immediate treat.

I'm sure she'll settle in, she's just frightened Smile
micheled
micheled
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Sat Oct 20 2012, 23:46

When she has good enough recall to be off the lead, you'll probably find that she does the business off-lead.

Lots of dogs won't eliminate while on a lead - not entirely sure of the reason but have seen it in several of my foster dogs - perhaps they feel it's in the "presence of a human".
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Oct 23 2012, 16:16

Great advice from everyone else, nothing to add apart from she's such a cutie! And I see why people would think she is young she has a real puppy-dog face!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down