Calling Dave!!

3 posters

Go down

Calling Dave!! Empty Calling Dave!!

Post by Jellytot Tue Oct 16 2012, 11:14

Dave, hope you don't mind me asking...

The pic of Tommy you have in the October photo's comp - he's wearing a blue harness in the first pic.

Is that the Ezydog Chest Plate Harness?

http://www.ezydoguk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=159

I'm struggling to find one to fit Ralph nicely, they either don't fit over his head, or they're too long on the chest part, or they come too far down his back.

This one looks a really nice fit on Tommy...

I think they are simelar in age? Ralph is 7 months? If so which size did you go for?

I know they're all different, I will measure Ralph properly if that's the same one.

Thanks!

Jo
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Calling Dave!! Empty Re: Calling Dave!!

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 13:41

Yes you are right , it's the same one. I got the medium harness and collar , Tommy's quite a big lad compared with Tilly at that age . Tommy is just 6 months

Just measured him and he's 14" neck and 21" chest, I would say there is about a further 7" adjustment left on the front of the harness and 4" left around the chest . Tilly has a medium too but not so much left on it but I don't expect any more growth out of her.
The collar on Tommy is as short as possible and a little loose , soo wouldnt put him on a lead by his collar only .

It fits nice as there are 2 clips for the front and back so it doesn't slip over his head if you know what I mean

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Tue Oct 16 2012, 14:00

Dave you are a star. Thank you so much for getting back to me. I think I'm going to get Ralph one... Will measure him when I get home.

Thank you.

Jo
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 14:15

You're welcome , need to get Tommy a new one too as it's dropping to bits , little bugger keeps rubbing himself up the wall so its fraying at the buckle, Tilly's is in brand new condition as she looks after her clothes Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Tue Oct 16 2012, 15:10

Dave wrote:You're welcome , need to get Tommy a new one too as it's dropping to bits , little bugger keeps rubbing himself up the wall so its fraying at the buckle, Tilly's is in brand new condition as she looks after her clothes Big Grin

Hahaha! That's typical of girls. Look after all their pretty things. Boys, well, they're just boys!

Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 16:21

haha not all boys are like that memphis has had his for about 18months and still in desent nick lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 16:31

Tommy's like the little kid that has to scuff his shoes on the first day of school. The only reason Tilly is on her 2nd is because Tommy ate through it when my daughter left them both in the garden after a walk with their harnesses still on.

One other good thing as well , they wash great Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Oct 16 2012, 20:14

We need to get Rocky a spare harness for when his gets wet and we cannot get it dry. Got his Paws and Bones one from the Woodgreen shop last time we were up there, hope they still carry that line as its a very good harness.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 21:07

Can I ask - why a harness for Staffs?

When I was young - a long, long time ago - harnesses were for toy (or little) dogs only. I have always understood that a dog in a harness will throw his shoulders into the harness (like a horse) and pull even more. Not a problem with little dogs with little strength, but not advisable for bigger stronger dogs.

I have never used one. Am I missing something?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 21:13

A harness can be much gentler on a powerful dog if they pull . Personally my 2 walk much better in a harness than on a collar , avoiding possible neck damage. It really is a personal thing depending on the dog. A harness is much more secure and more difficult to slip than a collar. And lastly for us in the car the dogs ride the back seat and not the boot so a simple seat belt adaptor and bang super safe and secure dogs for the journey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Oct 16 2012, 21:30

Rocky has his harness to avoid damaging his neck, and for safety in the car too.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 22:33

OK, thank you all. Kuchar DOES pull on his collar, especially at the beginning of his walk, or when he sees another dog.

I obviously don't want to damage his neck - has anyone any evidence that pulling on a collar causes neck damage? Hating to hark back to my Dobermanns again, but they have longer necks and although they pulled when excited (as above) they never suffered any neck damage, and were much bigger and stronger dogs as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 23:20

staffies do have a weak Tricia which can be damaged memphis used to pull on his collar so switched to harness and the pulling halved.Even now if i put him on lead he will pull more far more than when on his harness

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17 2012, 20:30

bigwazza wrote:staffies do have a weak Tricia which can be damaged memphis used to pull on his collar so switched to harness and the pulling halved.Even now if i put him on lead he will pull more far more than when on his harness

Interesting to hear that the pulling halved on a harness - food for thought.

But please tell me - what is a weak Tricia?

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Thu Oct 18 2012, 01:51

I also have one of these harnesses in medium for Ledger. Day to day I walk him on the collar but he wears the harness when I take him for a run or to play with the boomer ball.
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 20 2012, 19:49

new Staffy owner wrote:
bigwazza wrote:staffies do have a weak Tricia which can be damaged memphis used to pull on his collar so switched to harness and the pulling halved.Even now if i put him on lead he will pull more far more than when on his harness

Interesting to hear that the pulling halved on a harness - food for thought.

But please tell me - what is a weak Tricia?

I've just fallen in with what you said about a weak Tricia - trachea right? (windpipe).

Didn't know that Staffs have a particularly weak one, but now you mention it, when Kuchar pulls on his neck collar (when he's excited and trying to get to another dog who doesn't want to play with - or his owner doesn't!) he does make an awful noise -not just panting but a sort of grunting in his throat and sometimes coughing.

Maybe a visit to the pet shop is due ....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 21 2012, 16:31

Lily and lola have the same ezydog harnesses. They are great for the car but I don't feel they help a lot with pullling. Both my girls are terrible for pulling, though I would agree they are better for their necks. I tend to use a collar most of the time but I will change Lola on to her harness when she makes the chokey, wheezy noise. They wash really well as the girls love to roll in mud and sand if they are on the beach. Lily swims with hers on so they get washed a lot and come up good as new x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 21 2012, 16:34

They do wash well , don't think they are meant to aid pulling it's just strangely some dogs walk better on a harness than they do on a collar and this is the case for my 2 , though when they want to pull it gives them chance to really get their backs into it Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down