Introducing adult staffy to cats

4 posters

Go down

Introducing adult staffy to cats Empty Introducing adult staffy to cats

Post by Becca Mon Oct 15 2012, 04:04

Has anyone done this with success? I know it depends on the individual dog and his/her prey drive as well as the personalities of the cats but I'd love to hear experiences and advice on what to and what not to do.

Basically our situation is we've almost moved in downstairs at my parents house. They have a 9 year old staffy who's always been an outdoor dog as they aren't keen on pets in their house. We're planning on letting her in, atleast overnight when we move in downstairs as we're going to be fully self contained and separate from their house but we have 3 cats. We'd love for her to be able to come inside and sit with us while we watch TV etc but we also understand that it might not work and it may have to be that she stays outside until bed time, then we'll bring her in to sleep in a crate so she's not outside in the cold at night. Hell, she may even hate the idea of being in a crate and prefer to stay outside and if that's the case, we'll let her out but I'd atleast like to give her the choice of not being a completely outdoor dog.

Becca
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Introducing adult staffy to cats Empty Re: Introducing adult staffy to cats

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15 2012, 06:58

Many of the members on here mix staffs and cats, for me though all I would say is feed it to them slowly and hope they don't choke Smile Seriously though I think it's just one of them might work , might not situations. We have a cat but she is very much an outside cat long before we had the dogs and doesn't come anywhere near them.
Hopefully someone will come along soon to offer up some advice but for the moment only introduce on the lead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Becca Mon Oct 15 2012, 10:23

Thanks Smile We're still upstairs in one bedroom now and the dog isn't allowed in here as a general rule (not my rule!) but we've taken her into our bedroom a few times on the lead to see how they all react to each other. She doesn't seem interested in them at all so I'm taking that as a better sign than her trying to lunge at them. I know that being on lead can completely alter behaviour, but that's the way we have to do it for now. I'm even thinking that once we're i our place and have a crate, having her in the crate will give the cats an opportunity to suss her out and will give us a good indication to how she reacts when they come close to her. I think that no matter how much progress we were to make, they'd never ever be left unsupervised together.

Becca

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Oct 15 2012, 11:40

Sorry I'm no use, not a cat person at all never had one. Dont think Rocky would get on very well with one anyway.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Wed Oct 17 2012, 10:29

We have two cats and part of why Dex was suggested to us by the rescue was because he is 'cat friendly' but also our cats tend to live in our basement where they have garden access so they don't really come into the house itself. We have introduced them, Dexter did chase one of them but the cat decided to dart VERY quickly and you could tell Dexter thought it was a game. My main worry is more the cats not liking him, he always seems happy to see them when they are in the garden, most dogs are smart enough to know that a cat may do damage to them, and for that reason they may learn to get on or ignore each other. I don't worry too much about it, the cats hop up high onto the fence or go back into the basement (their cat flap is way too small for Dex to squeeze his bum through) if he gets on their nerves. Bless him he only wants to play, they are grumpy sods Laughing
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 3 approx
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 100

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Oct 17 2012, 10:48

As much as it depends on the temperament and prey drive etc in the dog, it depends on the cats too IMO. I've found that if you've got a cat that's going to just sit around and stand it's ground when needed (and swipe your dog in the face if it pushes it's luck) it would work more successfully than a cat that's going to run and dart about a lot? Depends how active your cats are I guess and if your dog is at all interested Smile Would definitely use a crate though for initial introduction.

I've had lurchers, whippets, terriers and staffies all living with cats in the past without a problem. But the cats were pretty hardy and confident around dogs, didn't stress them out at all having them around Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down