Teeth etc.

+2
Jackieb
angelj95
6 posters

Go down

Teeth etc. Empty Teeth etc.

Post by angelj95 Fri Oct 05 2012, 22:33

Hey Smile I'm a new member to the forum and have had my staff, Bo, since she was 8 weeks old and she's now 5 1/2 months old.

History with SBT's: One VERY big staffy x, brown brindle all over, 12.5 years old and still going strong, a little arthritic and gets cold a lot easier but all round great for her age. One small pure staff, had her for around 2 years but unfortunately parents had to give her away as they had not trained her properly at all (their fault completely, really tragic as she was a gorgeous dog).

General info on my current staff, Bo:
Jabs on time and follow ups.
Worming started on time and continued regularly.

Gorgeous temperament, thoroughly obedient for the most part as I took charge of her training. Very intelligent (sit, paw, lie down, roll over etc.). Stops whatever she's doing as soon as you say the word 'leave.' Comes when called with 'here' and will sit wherever you click your fingers.

Her parents were pretty small and at 5 1/2 months old she is now around 13 1/2 - 14" tall from the ground to the middle of her back and 17" from back leg to chest. Her head already seems to be splitting (just a tiny amount, not noticeable if you weren't with her every day) and she's also got her adult canines through. Her weight is average and suits her size well. Ribs can be felt, etc.

My questions are is she the right size for her age and should she really have already lost her smaller teeth (not all of them)? She has been fed on dry food since she came and digested it really well but could this be the cause for her tooth loss this early? Also, should her head be splitting at all?

Sorry for the rambling but I didn't want to be branded a complete idiot, even if I'm not sure on these things Smile

Angelina (Age 17).
angelj95
angelj95
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bo
Dog(s) Ages : 5 1/2 months (05/10/2012)
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Teeth etc. Empty Re: Teeth etc.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 22:37

Her baby teeth should be all gone in the next few weeks or so. The split in the head is simply muscle devolping and I think happens at around 1 year of age.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Fri Oct 05 2012, 22:46

Teething is common from 4-5mths plus, something like a stagbar can help the process. (my boy lost loads at a time)

As said before me, her head isn't 'splitting' she's developing the muscles on her head which are inter-connected with the jaw, hence why staffys have a string bite.

Feed her well, worm her etc and she will be great
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Oct 05 2012, 22:46

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo, your certainly not silly asking questions! As Jstaff said the skull builds muscle as they grow and pups grow at very different spurts Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 23:05

Teething at her age is normal. Loki is five months old and he had multiple teeth fall out in a day Laughing he looks like a gummy old man. Don't know about the size though, never had a Staff before, but sounds like it's all fine Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by angelj95 Sat Oct 06 2012, 00:25

Thanks so much guys! Have to admit, I was a little worried about the teeth as I though this was a little early but now not so much! Smile
angelj95
angelj95

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bo
Dog(s) Ages : 5 1/2 months (05/10/2012)
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Oct 06 2012, 11:27

My youngest has just turned 5 months and has been loosing her teath for around two weeks now so nothing to worry about. Rope toys are good for helping them out as well.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06 2012, 11:51

All sounds absolutely fine they all grow at different rates and at different times but by a 1 year they will be starting to develop the final picture and mature around 18-24 months

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06 2012, 11:58

angelj95 wrote:My questions are is she the right size for her age and should she really have already lost her smaller teeth (not all of them)? She has been fed on dry food since she came and digested it really well but could this be the cause for her tooth loss this early? Also, should her head be splitting at all?

Nobody here will brand you a complete idiot! If you need the answer to a question, just ask!Big Grin

Her height is just about spot on. I'd say. The Stafford isn't a huge breed & really shouldn't be all that tall.

She's the right age for teething, they generally start at about 4 months & continue up to about 6 months or so, but they're all difefrent. The food wouldn't have had any impact on when she started teething.

Staffords' heads don't split, they form bands of muscle that meet at the top of the head & make a 'furrow' there. Some develop that very early, but some won't get it until they're 18 months or so.

Back to top Go down

Post by treacle4775 Sat Oct 06 2012, 12:58

Hi

Obi is 5 months and has been lossing his teeth for about a month or so now. He only seems to have the large back ones left to go. Everything seems normal to me. As others have said they all grow and develop at different rates. Obi is growing taller every day and he's already taller than our previous staff Zac when he was fully grown lol.

xXx
treacle4775
treacle4775
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Obi, Ava, Zac (R.I.P boy)
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, 12 weeks 11.5 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female, Male
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06 2012, 16:53

Welcome.

I think she will grow a little taller but shes not a small staff, bitches are not supposed to be much bigger than she is! People are conditioned to think staffs are huge now days, but theyre really not supposed to be. my bitch it 15" tall and absolutely perfect.

Also you said to the middle of her back? You need to measure again but to the top of the shoulder. This is the height of her, not to the back. So she may already be 15" or so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Oct 07 2012, 14:20

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me. Sorry cannot add to much more really.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down