Afraid to go on a walk

5 posters

Go down

Crying Afraid to go on a walk

Post by Wibblebikkit Fri Oct 05 2012, 19:48

Hey, I have a STBx who hates to go walkies.

I've had dogs in the past, mainly Rottweilers and I've never had this issue, so Im finding curing it to be a problem.
Her peeve is cars, moving ones. On her first ever walk (Back when she had her 2nd injection) she was lying down occasionally. At first, I put this down to tiredness, being that her only ventures outdoors where bundled in my arms.
But after a while I noticed she was only lying down when a car was oncoming. So, with the next walks I made sure I went armed with treats to keep her at heel. This didn't work. Ive tried baby talk, reassurence, distraction, nothing works! It has gotten to the point where she's afraid to leave the drive! She can do perfect heelwork (Indoors!!) but everything goes to pot once we get on the road. She digs her heels in going and runs for her life on the way back.

It's becoming frustrating as she's a puppy with ever growing energy, who is now venting her unspent energy on being destructive and boisterous. Help would be gladly appreciated!!!

Last edited by Wibblebikkit on Fri Oct 05 2012, 19:53; edited 1 time in total
Wibblebikkit
Wibblebikkit
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Narla
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: Afraid to go on a walk

Post by Kathy Fri Oct 05 2012, 19:52

Hi & Afraid to go on a walk Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Afraid to go on a walk Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Afraid to go on a walk Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Afraid to go on a walk Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Afraid to go on a walk Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Afraid to go on a walk Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Afraid to go on a walk Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Afraid to go on a walk Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 19:52

Have to say once I had got past the initial scared puppy stage with Tilly it was plain sailing and Tommy was even easier following big Sis everyhwere, I can only sufggest you just stick with what you are doing now, maybe teaching some sit and stay work by the side of the road to try and get conditioned to the noise may help

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 19:54

can you find some time to come here and introduce yourself Smile

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Oct 05 2012, 19:56

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with walkies. Have you tried the watch command while out with her, just keep saying WATCH and get her to look at you.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Oct 05 2012, 19:59

Staffies are very good at feeling your frustration and tension down the lead. How old is she? Welcome to the forum Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Fri Oct 05 2012, 20:03

welcome

How old/heavy is she ? I took Taz out in a rucksack when I 1st had her, and sat her in the front yard behind the gate to get her used to the traffic - as I live on a main road - 1st walk no problems @ all. Smile
Taz
Taz
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Afraid to go on a walk Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : 'lil Miss Taz Devil Demoania ~ TAZ
Dog(s) Ages : 31:05:2011
Dog Gender(s) : She's a lady, a tinker, a beauty, an a real b!tch
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by Wibblebikkit Fri Oct 05 2012, 20:10

Hey guys, thank you all for your very quick responses! I wasn't expecting anything back tonight Big Grin!

I've just posted on the introductions page so you can see what my crazy pup looks like https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t24845-hello-from-me-and-a-chewed-shoe-from-narla

She knows the watch command, yes. And All is dandy so long as I do that (unless a big articulated lorry drives past), but it is just that. The second I break from her the heels dig in. I do feel for her, it must be quite scary, but Im struggling to find a way to convay to her that they mean her no harm. Ive even sat for a good hour at the local bus stop looking like a crazy lady doing tricks with her to get her used to the sound of cars! She was fine, until the next time I took her out for walks!
Wibblebikkit
Wibblebikkit

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Narla
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Fri Oct 05 2012, 20:20

the bus stop Sounds good - patience & consistency is the key with young pups Smile
Taz
Taz

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 20:22

Taz wrote:the bus stop Sounds good - patience & consistency is the key with young pups Smile

agreed , plus think of the fun you're putting into the lives of the spectators looking at the mad lady Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Fri Oct 05 2012, 20:35

Dave wrote:
Taz wrote:the bus stop Sounds good - patience & consistency is the key with young pups Smile

agreed , plus think of the fun you're putting into the lives of the spectators looking at the mad lady Laughing Laughing

Laughing thumbs up
Taz
Taz

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 21:59

The watch command is good. Suki was the same way as a pup and even worse with trains. Just be patient, don't force her and let her discover the world at her own pace. If there is a nearby spot w/o traffic that would be a plus.

Back to top Go down

Post by angelj95 Fri Oct 05 2012, 22:49

I found the best thing was to just push through it with mine. She absolutely HATED cars. She was brave when she was barking at them through the window (that had to be stopped pretty fast as there's always cars going past my house) but as soon as we hit the road she would cower and drag her heels. Obviously make sure it's a harness and not a lead you're walking her on as harnesses give YOU much more control and you can pretty much get them past anything with a little raise of the arm to elevate the front a little. My girl soon realized that she was going to HAVE to walk past them with my help and within a few days was completely fine with them.
angelj95
angelj95

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bo
Dog(s) Ages : 5 1/2 months (05/10/2012)
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 22:58

Sounds like you're doing the right things, keep doing what you're doing. It probably just takes time. Some dogs take longer than others to get used to new things. I will say though, I wouldn't baby talk to her while she's scared; to us it's a comforting gesture, but to dogs you're praising them for their fear, if that makes sense. So as difficult as it is, try to remain calm and kind but not over-the-top and that, along with everything you're doing, should help her get over it in her own time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down