Second Dog suggestion, need help please!

+2
Rob
dan204
6 posters

Go down

Second Dog suggestion, need help please! Empty Second Dog suggestion, need help please!

Post by dan204 Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:36

Hey, I currently have one staffy pup which is female and was thinking about getting a second pup, which will be male. Im interested in getting a Pure bred Blue english pup but my wife is worried he will get stolen because we live on a corner block? Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe even some feedback? Anything would be nice?
Thanks Dan.
dan204
dan204
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Second Dog suggestion, need help please! Empty Re: Second Dog suggestion, need help please!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:42

Hello Dan

are you going to pop over and introduce yourself here

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Back to top Go down

Second Dog suggestion, need help please! Empty Re: Second Dog suggestion, need help please!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:46

As far as a second dog is concerned then how old is your current dog ?? A minimum 2 year age gap is ideal and opposite sexes are generally the best combination.

For a Blue dog you need to do your research . A good breeder will not charge you any more money for a Blue than any other colour, so you need to find out the going rate for a KC reg stafford where you live . Also if you want Blue then don't buy from a Blue / Blue mating the best Blues come from a Black / Blue mating read this

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t17716-colour-dilution-alopecia?highlight=colour+dilution

Back to top Go down

Post by dan204 Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:51

My pup is 10 months old. Thanks mate ill look into it.
dan204
dan204

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:52

I've binned your other post (identical) and moved this into puppy chat Dan ok Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by dan204 Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:52

No worries thanks mate,
dan204
dan204

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:55

I presume you've had your girl since a pup so you realise how much work no 2 can be just as a pup without doubling up the numbers. I've just been through it so I am "experienced" Big Grin , I don't understand where your concerns come from about a corner block though (not understanding what you mean) obviously your dog's wellbeing and security have to rank very highly in your decisions

Back to top Go down

Post by dan204 Fri Oct 05 2012, 08:15

Because people can see in through the fence we have concerns about the pup being stolen. And my wife is worried someone will steal the pup for dog fights and that is the last thing i want to happen to either of them. It has been known to happen thats all.
dan204
dan204

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Fri Oct 05 2012, 09:05

I think if it is a genuine concern that either or both dogs could be stolen and used for dog fighting, you shouldnt have them.

Why not start by closing the gaps in your fence so people cannot see in.

Then ensure your garden is secure with good locks on the gate if you have one.

Always let the dogs out in the garden supervised, rather than leave them out alone.

Ensure the dogs are microchipped, put an alarm on your gate if you have to..

I think you see my point, If you cannot ensure the dog/s will be safe, dont have them.

If you can improve the security of your garden, and be very strict about watching them in the back garden, only then should you consider it, as long as there is still doubt about there safety, its not the right time.

Rob
Rob
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bode
Dog(s) Ages : 23/09/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 09:27

I would wait until your first dog is at least two years old. Multiple puppies can be hard to teach and handle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 13:34

Rob wrote:I think if it is a genuine concern that either or both dogs could be stolen and used for dog fighting, you shouldnt have them.

Why not start by closing the gaps in your fence so people cannot see in.

Then ensure your garden is secure with good locks on the gate if you have one.

Always let the dogs out in the garden supervised, rather than leave them out alone.

Ensure the dogs are microchipped, put an alarm on your gate if you have to..

I think you see my point, If you cannot ensure the dog/s will be safe, dont have them.

If you can improve the security of your garden, and be very strict about watching them in the back garden, only then should you consider it, as long as there is still doubt about there safety, its not the right time.

As a fellow Aussie I can say this is a real concern here at the moment Sad There have been a lot of reports about it.. But to say that we shouldn't have Staffs is going a bit far don't you think?? They are a wonderful breed and why should we all miss out just because of some stupid little so and so's?? My friends Staff was stolen from his very secure yard while he was at the shops, he had only been gone a bit over an hour..

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Fri Oct 05 2012, 16:26

That was a bit extreme Rob! It wouldn't really matter what breed your dog was if they were going to steal it for dog fights since they probably wont be stealing them to fight but as bait dogs. Which are used to train the fighting dogs and have a real bad time of it.

I think Rob's other suggestions though are sensible. I mean you shouldn't be leaving your dog outside unattended as this is just asking for problems. Other than that good security I guess. Well locked gates/windows and maybe CCTV and an alarm fitted. With CCTV being so cheap nowadays its a definate option.
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 17:28

I don't think what Rob said was harsh. It's a common sense thing. Like obviously if you have a yard with poor fencing and you don't plan on fixing it, getting a dog might not be a good idea. That said, if there's a gap in it, you can fix it, no? I think as long as you fix the gap in the fence and supervise them, they should be fine. Course, getting a second puppy so soon sounds like madness Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 18:59

I don't think he said he had poor fencing just that you can see through it.. Im guessing a paling fence??

Correct me if I'm wrong Dan but I think the worry about theft is because he was looking for a blue staff, very expensive and quite hard to find here.. I think the minimum you would pay for a full breed blue is about $3,000.. Unfortunately that makes them a great target for thieves, though usually to re-sell not fighting or baiting..

I agree with everyone that he shouldn't get a puppy yet, while he already has an adolescent dog, and he should wait til she is older.. I just think his initial question was poorly worded and taken out of context..

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Oct 05 2012, 19:08

May I please ask why it is that you particularly want a blue puppy anyway.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 19:09

Kat75 wrote:I don't think he said he had poor fencing just that you can see through it.. Im guessing a paling fence??

Correct me if I'm wrong Dan but I think the worry about theft is because he was looking for a blue staff, very expensive and quite hard to find here.. I think the minimum you would pay for a full breed blue is about $3,000.. Unfortunately that makes them a great target for thieves, though usually to re-sell not fighting or baiting..

I agree with everyone that he shouldn't get a puppy yet, while he already has an adolescent dog, and he should wait til she is older.. I just think his initial question was poorly worded and taken out of context..

kathytake2 wrote:May I please ask why it is that you particularly want a blue puppy anyway.

3000 dollars for a Blue , and how much for any other colour ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 19:17

Dave wrote:
Kat75 wrote:I don't think he said he had poor fencing just that you can see through it.. Im guessing a paling fence??

kathytake2 wrote:May I please ask why it is that you particularly want a blue puppy anyway.

3000 dollars for a Blue , and how much for any other colour ??

Between $500 - 1000 for a purebred female 700-1200 Male.. Brindle girl is the cheapest Smile Lucky for me they are my fave.. Reds are also popular and are at the higher end.. Of course as expected lineage also alters and I'm sure from a reputable breeder they would be more..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 19:26

Thats absolutely ridiculous to be paying that sort of money for a dog based on colour. Over here people charge 800-1000 for a Blue and people are daft enough to pay the money but for that kind of money people are getting dogs from Blue / Blue matings and generally paying good money for an inferior dog. You should only ever pay a premium price because of exceedingly good lineage and nothing else.
If you know the real good breeders over here you will pay the same or very similar price for a good blue (from a Blue / Black mating) as you would any other dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 19:37

oooppss! I should have clarified.. I am only talking about backyard breeders.. I have no idea on pricing with reputable AKC rego breeders..

Unfortunately thats why there are so many byb's here and so many Staffs in rescue.. When anyone can make thousands out of a litter with very little cost to themselves Sad And no thought about where the pups end up.. My girl is from a byb from an accidental mating but at least the owner made sure they all went to good homes Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 19:45

Kat75 wrote: oooppss! I should have clarified.. I am only talking about backyard breeders.. I have no idea on pricing with reputable AKC rego breeders..

Unfortunately thats why there are so many byb's here and so many Staffs in rescue.. When anyone can make thousands out of a litter with very little cost to themselves Sad And no thought about where the pups end up.. My girl is from a byb from an accidental mating but at least the owner made sure they all went to good homes Big Grin

Tilly was from what you would term a BYB , had no problems though so we were lucky, learnt my lesson from here though and did the proper route for Tommy and all his health checks and papers etc

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyRoo Fri Oct 05 2012, 20:11

interesting that people say you should ideally wait until the first dog is 2, i was planning on finding ruby a friend in spring next year, she will be just over 1. is this a bad idea then? sorry to hijack the thread. i also agree on only letting the dogs out supervised, regardless of colour, if you garden isnt secure enough to put off would be thieves Smile
RubyRoo
RubyRoo
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : Born 26/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 20:16

RubyRoo wrote:interesting that people say you should ideally wait until the first dog is 2, i was planning on finding ruby a friend in spring next year, she will be just over 1. is this a bad idea then? sorry to hijack the thread. i also agree on only letting the dogs out supervised, regardless of colour, if you garden isnt secure enough to put off would be thieves Smile

Its not the rule , it's just advice on what works best but it's a general thing , personally for me if I had known how things would be , I may have waited another 6 months before I did it as Tilly was only a pup herself at 22 months when we got Tommy but it can and does work with all sorts of divergences from the general advice , 2 pups together, Brother and Sister, 2 males together , 2 girls together

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Fri Oct 05 2012, 20:25

My girl Diesel was just over a year old when we got Tank our boy.(both blues)

With 2 it's a comelette flippin nightmare fir the first month or so until both dogs settle together, and the constant worry the older one might not like the puppy etc.
My girl mothered the pup a bit at the beginning. Once they settled it was great. They keep each other company and love each other to pieces.

It is more work with 2 but I wouldn't be without mine x ( and I've 4 kids too aged 5,8,10,12) chaos is chaos so long as it's organised lol x

As for the fear of ur dogs being stolen... Microchip them, keep them secure at all times, look after then like they are ur children.
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Fri Oct 05 2012, 20:32

On the subject of blues, I love blues to death but they are no more valuable than any other color.
Beware of false advertising too, recently saw an advert for blue pups. 21 champions etc £800. After light investigating it was 15 champs and the inbreeding was fairly high at over 22% ( breed average is 7 or 8% I think ) so
If u buy blue, FULLY research everything and don't pay silly money x
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by dan204 Sat Oct 06 2012, 07:21

Yeah its a pailing fence so you can see through it. And yes the pups are very expensive here in Aus and you do get some people that feel the need to steal them for what ever the use. I was just a bit concerned and wanted to know if anyone has had or heard of any problems, as for cctv and alarms i think that is going just a little too far. The gate is locked and the dogs when old enough will be the protection for the yard, dont get me wrong i do appreciate all feedback. The dogs are only left out in the yard when they are old enough they are not out there too early. But by the looks of everyones comments its seems as though we are paying too much for our best pals, well worth it though i say.
dan204
dan204

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06 2012, 07:32

dan204 wrote:Yeah its a pailing fence so you can see through it. And yes the pups are very expensive here in Aus and you do get some people that feel the need to steal them for what ever the use. I was just a bit concerned and wanted to know if anyone has had or heard of any problems, as for cctv and alarms i think that is going just a little too far. The gate is locked and the dogs when old enough will be the protection for the yard, dont get me wrong i do appreciate all feedback. The dogs are only left out in the yard when they are old enough they are not out there too early. But by the looks of everyones comments its seems as though we are paying too much for our best pals, well worth it though i say.

Yeah I thought it may be a good old Aussie paling fence Big Grin .. I also agree cctv cameras etc is going a bit far and lets face it we can't be with them 24/7.. It is an issue here with thieves but from other threads on here it has happened to others in other countries too.. Don't let it discourage you from expanding your family you can only do the best you can to secure your dogs and if you want them in the yard through the day when they are old enough that's your choice..

As for when to do it, it seems the general advice is when your 1st dog is 2 years.. I don't really know, mine is 12 weeks so at the moment she is all the puppy I can I handle rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down