How much food does a young, male staffy cross require?

2 posters

Go down

How much food does a young, male staffy cross require?  Empty How much food does a young, male staffy cross require?

Post by Peppermint Fri Oct 05 2012, 05:46

Aston came to me quite visibly thin. I could count all his ribs, all the knobbles on his backbone and his hip bones protruded quite sharply. His coat felt quite bristly to touch, lots of dander and no shine. My daughter was feeding him a cheap brand of dry food that he was having difficulty in digesting. I changed his diet to a recommended dry puppy food called Barking Heads, Little Big Foot and he seems to be putting on weight and his coat is now softer and shinier. I've been feeding him 3/4 times a day as he bolts his food, trying to get him to slow down a little. I also give him a dessert spoon of granulated charcoal, for flatulence and conditioning tablets. When I took him to the vets for a check up and (shockingly) his first vaccinations (as my daughter and the previous owners before her had never got him vaccinated) and the vet said that he was still a tad underweight for his size. He's quite leggy (the boxer in him, I think). He has a slight heart murmur, so I am under strict instructions from the vet not to let him get obese. She would prefer to see him slightly underweight than overweight. Any advice on feeding would be so very helpful. Thanks.

Peppermint
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Aston
Dog(s) Ages : About a year old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

How much food does a young, male staffy cross require?  Empty Re: How much food does a young, male staffy cross require?

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 06:02

He shouldn't be underweight , it sounds like you are getting him there with the attention you are giving him . As a guideline for an ideal weight you should be able to see the first couple of ribs and they should have a noticeably visible waist.

This is the breed standard for a KC staff which you can still use as a guide but obviously general weights , heights etc are not valid but an indication of a healthy look for your dog.

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/standardataglance.html

Regarding the food and amounts , it depends on age really . Up to 10/12 weeks 4 meals a day , 12wks - 6mths 3 meals a day and then 2 meals there on , but if you wish 1 is adequate . Obviously this is the total intake for the dog divided up for ther day. You should go by the weight guidelines on the food packaging and adjust to suit the dog from there with a little more or less depending om the weight and look.

A few pictures may help us to offer an opinion too Big Grin

Back to top Go down

How much food does a young, male staffy cross require?  Empty Re: How much food does a young, male staffy cross require?

Post by Peppermint Fri Oct 05 2012, 06:47

Thanks for the advice, Dave. Is any particular brand of dog food the best? I would love to post some photos but I'm a bit of a computer novice so I'll have to wait until my daughter comes to visit him on Sunday and get her to show me how it's done. He's a gorgeous looking dog. Brindle with small patches of white on his paws.

Peppermint

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 06:53

Sounds like a lovely boy but we have to have pics ( don't tell anyone but you become a favourite member if you post pics dont tell anyone )

Barking heads is a good food and one of our mods Kathy feeds her boy on that no problems. Generally not good to chop and change food so if it works stick to what you have . Just for your reference we do have a dry food recommendation list

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html

I was feeding our 2 on Wainwrights from Pets at Home and its a really good mid range food bu they got bored , the barking heads is a bit higher up the market me thinks.

Another really good and well rated one is Fish4Dogs which is what we are using now, but as I say what you have is good so don't change unless the boredom kicks in or you get other problems

Back to top Go down

Post by Peppermint Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:09

As soon as my daughter comes up Sunday I'll get her to show me how to post pics. Aston, I feel, hasn't had a very good start in life. He was ignored by the owners who had him prior to my daughter, and my daughter took him on with the best of intentions but didn't really have time for him and he was shut up in the garden for most of the time. He's such a gentle, loving soul with a big heart and he's needy in the attention department. Which suits me fine as he's an absolute joy to cuddle and he has brought the laughter back in my life after my little old lady dog died. He's a real gentleman, which I think I've said before, and I can see him becoming quite the ladies man if I don't get him neutered soon. I'm thinking about booking him in at the end of the month...but would like him to feel happy and secure before I whisk him off to the vets and, bless him, deprive him of his doghood.

Peppermint

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:13

How old is he , do you have any idea ?? He does sound like a little star. Never really had much to do with Boxers other than my OH sister had one which wasn't allowed to do anything so never got to know the personality. The staffy side on ther other hand uyou have taken ownership of the most loyal , loving dog you will ever meet in your lifetime and a little bit crazy with it

Back to top Go down

Post by Peppermint Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:20

He's just over a year. He hadn't even had his puppy vaccinations. I've only had him a week and took him to the vets a few days ago for his first shots. He was as good as gold especially considering he had never been to a vets before. He has been an absolute angel. I just can't believe how wonderful he is, considering he's only been with me just over a week. Every day he is gaining in confidence and happiness and it is a joy to watch. He is the most non-aggressive dog I've ever met. Greeting other dogs and people without a qualm and even letting me take food from his mouth. He's a real treasure and deserves a happy, loving home where he is 100% part of the family. My aim now is to give him the best life possible.

Peppermint

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:23

He sounds great and seems like he has fallen lucky with a new owner.

You mentioned about him being a greedy guts with his food , have you tried him with Kong ?? you can pack his food in there freeze it and make him take his time and get some mental stimulation in the process

Another trick I've seen on here is to put a ball in the middle of his bowl so he has to eat around it

Back to top Go down

Post by Peppermint Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:32

Oooh...I'll go down to my local pet shop and check Kong out. I need to slow him down on his eating.

Peppermint

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kaztaz Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:35

He sounds amazing cant add nothink that dave has said the tennis is ball in the food ive seen works as they have to move the ball to get to the food but staffys are clever and he used to take the ball out Laughing
kaztaz
kaztaz
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : troy
Dog(s) Ages : 12 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:38

Peppermint wrote:Oooh...I'll go down to my local pet shop and check Kong out. I need to slow him down on his eating.

If the food is small bite , we have a wobble Kong as well , you fill it and as then tip it over there is a hole in the side where the food comes out and it stands back upright every time Tommy loves his (it was actually a Birthday present for Tilly which she didn't take to )

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=kong+dispenser&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15898496530855745840&sa=X&ei=OIBuUIiKBKmW0QWggIFA&ved=0CCkQ8wIwAQ

I bought ours from Pets at Home

Back to top Go down

Post by Peppermint Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:45

He is amazing. I've been so impressed with his love, his gentleness and his good behaviour he has quite won my heart over. I'm off now to take him for a good, long walk before starting work. Thank you so much for your support and advice. I'll be back later. Smile

Thanks, Dave....it's quite small. I really do like the idea of that.

Peppermint

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kaztaz Fri Oct 05 2012, 07:45

they look great dave ive got a ball you put food in so he has to roll it round Big Grin very noisy tho with no carpet downstairs Laughing
kaztaz
kaztaz

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : troy
Dog(s) Ages : 12 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05 2012, 08:04

Peppermint wrote:He is amazing. I've been so impressed with his love, his gentleness and his good behaviour he has quite won my heart over. I'm off now to take him for a good, long walk before starting work. Thank you so much for your support and advice. I'll be back later. Smile

Thanks, Dave....it's quite small. I really do like the idea of that.

Quite simple really , if you don't come back later and with pictures we come and reposess your dog in the name of Staffy Bull Niceboard Trust Laughing

Enjoy your walk Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down