Stag bars - any idea what they are and how they are cleaned?

3 posters

Go down

Stag bars - any idea what they are and how they are cleaned? Empty Stag bars - any idea what they are and how they are cleaned?

Post by munschk Thu Sep 27 2012, 19:58

So Hiccup has a food allergy (or at least we are 90% sure that he does), and I tested out a normal rawhide on him and it definitely causes an allergic flare up so they're out. The problem is, I don't have that many alternatives for long standing chews - ostrich ligaments etc. are fine (although I havent tried them in a while) but only last a few minutes.

So that brings me to my question, I know a lot of you on here rave about Stag bars and they sound amazing, unfortunately, they are not available in South Africa. So are stag bars fallow deer antlers? If so, then I found a few hunting lodges in South Africa that actually farm fallow deer and I am going to try and get a hold of them and see if I can buy a few antlers and cut them up myself. Think that will work?

I know that stag bars are cleaned but I'm not sure with what, thinking a good scrub with water should be sufficient??
munschk
munschk
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down

Stag bars - any idea what they are and how they are cleaned? Empty Re: Stag bars - any idea what they are and how they are cleaned?

Post by Guest Thu Sep 27 2012, 20:04

Yes stag bars are just fallow antlers that have been cut up, they are just given a good scrub in water and they will be fine

Back to top Go down

Stag bars - any idea what they are and how they are cleaned? Empty Re: Stag bars - any idea what they are and how they are cleaned?

Post by Kathy Thu Sep 27 2012, 20:05

You're right stag bars are deer antlers, The link below gives some info on the product:

http://www.puredog.co.uk/
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by roz w Thu Sep 27 2012, 22:07

my Trouble loves his stag bar , it took a while for him to take to it but i just held it for him until he got the taste for the middle bit and now he just chews it at his leisure , Trouble cant have rawhide either due to allergies
roz w
roz w
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Stag bars - any idea what they are and how they are cleaned? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Trouble
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 28 2012, 11:12

from what i can make out they are cleaned with barbacide (same as hairdressers use on there equipment ) then rinsed.
but a lot of people are saying with the strong acids in a dogs system a fresh antler will just need a good wash as the barbacide is just to give a cleaner product to give a longer shelf life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01 2012, 11:20

Brilliant idea to find a source here in SA. Trying to buy from UK and frankly the postage costs are prohibitive and then the package is liable for customs duty when it arrives which means that a single 6" piece ends up costing around R360.00. If you find a source I have plenty of customers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01 2012, 13:15

Love the Avatar Lynne Big Grin , hope you get your stag bars sorted out over there, can you not just go hunting with a saw instead of a gun >Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by munschk Mon Oct 01 2012, 15:03

Thanks guys, think it will be a good scrub in water then in I can source them. Lynne, I'll keep you updated, I'm still waiting for replies from most of the hunting farms but hopefully I'll know soon.
munschk
munschk

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down