Help my baby isn't herself

2 posters

Go down

Help my baby isn't herself Empty Help my baby isn't herself

Post by EmLou28 Fri Sep 21 2012, 11:53

I maybe over reacting but my baby doesn't seem herself today. Woke up this morning to Maggie having messed in my bedroom, which she hasnt done before. It was part loose part solid, I didnt tell her off as its so out of characture for her as she hardly ever poos in the garden let alone in the house. So I got up cleaned up and took her straight out for her walk. She was very clingy which again is unusual as she normally cant walk quick enough when out.
I figured she wouldnt need to go for a poo again as she had already done it in the house but then she squatted and out shot a yellow liquid type poo. She did this twice while out, it wasnt a lot but it happened Smile I let her off in a field that we pass through on the way home and she normally zooms off looking for birds to chase but she stuck close to me all the way through.
Since being home she has curled up on the sofa into a little ball and gone to sleep, I've covered her with a blanket cos I dont want her to get cold Smile
Iv just given her some water out of a jug which she happily drank but she hasnt really moved from the sofa, I dont know whether to feed her or just leave her to settle.
Also my boyfriend left a few days ago to go to Afghan for 3 months which is rubbish but Maggie is totally a daddies girl through and through and I'm now wondering if this is effecting her as well.
All of this is probably nothing and shes just got a bit of an upset stomach and I just need to keep my eye on her but everything today is just so out of characture that I'm a little concerned. Any help or advice will be great Smile
EmLou28
EmLou28
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie- May
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Help my baby isn't herself Empty Re: Help my baby isn't herself

Post by Guest Fri Sep 21 2012, 11:56

If she is drinking that is a good sign. She may have eaten something that upset her stomach. Try skipping a meal and than feed her something gentle to help her stomach settle

Back to top Go down

Post by EmLou28 Fri Sep 21 2012, 12:06

ok by gentle what would you suggest? Iv read on here chicken and boiled rice is good would that be something thats gentle enough for her? I dont no what she could have eaten tho she is a terrible pavement hoover, no matter how close an eye I keep on her or whats about she still manages to find something to munch on and (this is really gross) she is really really bad for eating other animals poo. She has no preference if its poo from whatever animal she will eat it again no matter how much a close eye I keep on her, its a nightmare.
EmLou28
EmLou28

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 21 2012, 12:16

Chicken and rice will work fine. For her hoover activities try carrying a squirt bottle to help discourage her. We still have to do this with Suki in some areas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 21 2012, 12:18

Yes, chicken & rice will do nicely.

I normally starve Dempsey for 24 hours if he's a bit dodgy & then Give him little & often for a couple of days.

If she's still a bit 'off' in 24 hours it might be an idea to give the vet a ring.

Back to top Go down

Post by EmLou28 Fri Sep 21 2012, 12:26

thanks for the info I'll try her with the rice and chicken and see how we go and thats a really good idea with the squirt bottle I'll give that a try as well.
I was ready to ring the vet the minute I walked in from her walk but then I thought I would ask you guys (cos you have helped me no end throughtout having Maggie in our lives Smile) as the vet will probably laugh and say I'm over reacting at this moment in time Smile I will however call the vet if it carries on.
I am however currently trying to type tis with Maggie trying to get on my lap for cuddles after having a little rumble with the cat Smile so maybe shes perking up a bit Smile
EmLou28
EmLou28

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 21 2012, 12:45

The vet certainly won't laugh at you, but he'll take your money! I don't mean that in a nasty way, but he'll (quite rightly) say "I can't diagnose over the phone, bring her in!"

If she was really sorry for herself & not drinking I'd say take her, but she just seems a bit 'under the weather' so I'd wait & see.

Back to top Go down

Post by EmLou28 Fri Sep 21 2012, 14:21

hey everyone well just took Maggie out for her mid day walk and she seems alot more happier this time Smile a little bit of pulling on the lead and even had a little game of ball in the park Smile no pooing tho so not sure if thats a good thing or a bad but but suppose its good there isnt anymore loose movements Smile I know what you mean about the vets tho they will def be happy to take your money just to tell me what I'm already doing saying that tho my vet is pretty good I get discount on somethings due to the OH being in the forces and the lady vet we have is lovely Smile anyway still gonna keep my eye on Maggie but so far she has seemed to perk up so fingers crossed Smile
EmLou28
EmLou28

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 21 2012, 14:23

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Sep 21 2012, 14:38

Pleased to hear she is perking up a little, you may also want to try a little scrambled egg if she's off her food, this usually works.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down