Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

anybody had a dog who had a huge op Empty Re: anybody had a dog who had a huge op

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 19:50

Xena is crying Steve or you Sad

Back to top Go down

anybody had a dog who had a huge op Empty Re: anybody had a dog who had a huge op

Post by Steve Thu Sep 06 2012, 19:50

xena Sad

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 19:52

Not good news if its either of you though bless her broken heart . Have you called the vet and asked them what they think ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Sep 06 2012, 19:53

yea but they just said love they cant give them anything else Sad

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Sep 06 2012, 19:54

i think she should of stay over night at the vets Sad

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 19:56

The vet wouldnt have let her out if they didn't think it was the right thing to do , were you paying for the op or insurance ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Sep 06 2012, 19:57

i paid for the op they thought she would recover better at home Sad

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Sep 06 2012, 19:58

poor girl is shaking like a trooper Sad

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 20:03

Steve wrote:i paid for the op they thought she would recover better at home Sad

Well if they were being honest (which it sounds like) then you should be fine. Only questioned as normally most vets go for "optimum care" when the insurance is involved if you know what I mean Wink , obviously you're Dad and watching her every breath as I would be , just give out some of that Stevie love to your old girl, as you say its all you can do, hope she picks up a bit soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 20:05

Steve wrote:poor girl is shaking like a trooper Sad

You probably want to punch me in the face for asking such a stupid question , but have you got her wrapped tightly (ish) in a blankie to comfort her. Sorry for doubting your nursing abilities

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 20:06

Steve, she's crying because of the anaesthetic, she's confused. When Dempsey had his big stomach operation that's exactly what he did. she will probably shake a bit & won't want to eat right now; just leave her be & give her plenty of TLC, but only if she wants it.

Just let her relax however she wants, and she'll sleep off the drugs. Dempsey had a pain killing patch on his side, but some vets will give you anti inflamatories & antibiotics instead.

She'll be uncomfortable for a few days but they heal really quickly - much quicker than we do. When do you have to take her back?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2012, 20:16

Leyla had a op when she had Pyo, and due too internal bleeding a few hours after the op needed to be reopened to find the bled, she also had a blood transfusion as she had lost so much blood.
We sat with her after the 2nd op, and she moaned and cried alot which was upsetting to hear & see.
The vet explained that Staffords dont take coming out of anaesthetic very well for some reason, he described it as having a massive hang over.
All you can do is make sure she is comfortable, and maybe laying beside her if you can to reasure her, also calmly talking and stroking her will relax her abit till she drifts off to sleep.
You cant reason with a dog, and explain the've just had a big op so will feel abit off for a while. They cry as they are confused and have no idea whats happening to them.
Its gonna be a long night for you Steve, so try and get some shut eye when you can.

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Thu Sep 06 2012, 21:01

when sasha had her op for her pyo she cried all through the night,she was sick as well and the day after,i do think its the affect the anaesthetic .she was shaking like a leaf,i found covering her up with a quilt helped that.just lay with her and stroke her gently .
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Thu Sep 06 2012, 21:09

it is probably the anaesthetic, it can have that effect on a dog, all my dogs that were Staffies or had Staffy in done this after an anaesthetic, the often paced up and down as well. Just love and cuddle her, once the anaesthetic wears off she will be fine.

It is very upsetting, I cry with my dog every time, sleep downstairs with her, if you can sleep. when I brought Ellie home after an operation she snored hear head off and I was too worried to sleep. The sofa wasn't that comfy either.

When Merlin had the operation on his spine I slept downstairs with him for 6 weeks until he could get upstairs.

Merlin alseep after his operation, I had to keep him at ground level, he couldn't get on the sofa.

anybody had a dog who had a huge op Merlinafterhisoperation

His operation site on his spine.

anybody had a dog who had a huge op Merlinsstitches
Cyril baby
Cyril baby
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
anybody had a dog who had a huge op Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Thu Sep 06 2012, 21:18

Sad Sad Sad

nothing to say, just so sad and sorry for you and poor girl. hoping and praying she pulls through

nail biting praying
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by bullsmommy1 Thu Sep 06 2012, 21:34

Exactly what Caryll said when bulley had a op on his neck he shook and cried for a while after but he recovered with plenty of love and painkillers Smile
bullsmommy1
bullsmommy1

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bulley, major & kaiser
Dog(s) Ages : 10,13 & 5months
Dog Gender(s) : all male
Support total : 37

Back to top Go down

Post by roz w Thu Sep 06 2012, 23:01

as said above lay next to her talk to her in nice soothing voice and lots of cuddles , be prepared for a restless night , will check in tomorrow
roz w
roz w

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Trouble
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Fri Sep 07 2012, 00:35

Hope you have both been able to get some sleep.

Even when Ledger just had a couple of teeth out a few months ago he was sick as we left the vet and then again at home and he cried and shook until he eventually fell asleep in my arms. Sure Xena will be feeling better just by getting lots of love from her dad
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07 2012, 01:32

Caryll wrote:Steve, she's crying because of the anaesthetic, she's confused. When Dempsey had his big stomach operation that's exactly what he did. she will probably shake a bit & won't want to eat right now; just leave her be & give her plenty of TLC, but only if she wants it.

Just let her relax however she wants, and she'll sleep off the drugs. Dempsey had a pain killing patch on his side, but some vets will give you anti inflamatories & antibiotics instead.

She'll be uncomfortable for a few days but they heal really quickly - much quicker than we do. When do you have to take her back?

thumbs up spot on caryll and the shaking the same thing the anaesthetic leaving her body (really good as shows her body reacting as it should)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07 2012, 07:30

How's our patient this morning Steve hurry up!

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffiesrus Fri Sep 07 2012, 07:42

Steve sorry to hear about your girl, I have not been on much this week. She is in the best hands now with you. The only comfort I can give is that she will come round very quickly as they always do. Hope she is a good bit better today mate.

Staffiesrus

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07 2012, 08:11

hope she is feeling a bit better today. it's worrying when they aren't well. when millie got spayed the anaesthetic knocked her for six and we can't explain to them whats happening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Sep 07 2012, 08:14

it was a long hard night i don't think she sleep much she was sick twice but we made it thru the first night back to the vet at 12

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07 2012, 08:33

That's a good sign. Hope everything goes well for the post op appointment.

Back to top Go down

Post by caz64 Fri Sep 07 2012, 08:40

Hi Steve and Xena been thinking a lot about you both and remembered when Ellie was very poorly with pyo caught is just in time (said the vet) and after just a couple of days she bounced back into full spring. Strange bacause she was supposed to be resting, couldnt keep her down. hope Xena springs back soon. >Big Grin<
caz64
caz64
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dusty
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Fri Sep 07 2012, 08:51

Hi Steve, Shaz here. You and Xena have been on our minds. Here's to hoping your girl bounces back in no time applause
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Fri Sep 07 2012, 10:37

Thats the biggest hurdle over with and great news! should be onwards and upwards from now on. The only big op I knew of was my brothers Dobe who needed a tumour removing. it was complicated because he has Von wilderbrand disease which means he doesnt stop bleading. he got him home from the vet and he was all sleepy but restless and then died in my brothers arms. he managed to resuscitate and get him to the vet okay and now a few years on he's a big healthy lump charging around the place. I nearly posted last night but thought it was probably not the story you would have wanted to hear at that point. Dogs are remarkable though in recovering and lex was up and about in no time. Best wishes to you and Xena and I hope she makes a speedie recovery.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down