Get staffy used to family cat?

4 posters

Go down

Get staffy used to family cat? Empty Get staffy used to family cat?

Post by Tonimac Mon Sep 03 2012, 00:15

My 9mth old staffy x kelpie (I have only had him a month) "goes" my cat when they get within a metre of each other. My cat is 3yrs old and admittedly arched up when I first brought Milo (pup) home but I patted both and calmed them down but now I can't have my dog upstairs (inside) with me because as soon as he see's my cat he goes to attack it, even though my cat is just sitting on a chair (under the table) and she (the cat) is too scared to even go on the veranda in the sun in case the dog is sitting at the top of the stairs (behind a safety gate).

Is there anything I can do to get these 2 to be comfortable around each other or is my cat now forever deemed to stay inside?

Tonimac
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Get staffy used to family cat? Empty Re: Get staffy used to family cat?

Post by Onyx322010 Mon Sep 03 2012, 00:33

I'm still figuring this out myself. Cat was in house first, onyx just never took to him. Onyx is selective aggressive to the cat. Only post workout and after sundown is what I consider his cold time. Onyx doesnt even acknowledge the cat what so ever

I've tried multiple ways to get them to re-introduce and interact

Onyx322010
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Onyx
Dog(s) Ages : 2.5 yr
Dog Gender(s) : Male/intact
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 03 2012, 07:37

I'm afraid I'm not much help, I've never had a cat & Dempsey would kill one if it came in!

But there are plenty of members here who have cats so hopefully one of them can give you some advice soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Sep 03 2012, 11:30

Sorry I'm no help either, never had a cat and dont think I ever would, sorry but i dont like them that much. I'm much more of a dog person.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Helenhb Mon Sep 03 2012, 11:55

I Have one dog and 3 cats that all live together one of the cats loves the dog and sleeps with him the other 2 don't like to get to close to him but will sit in the same room on the other end of the sofa. So it is possible for cats and dogs to live together. Blake has not shown any aggression to the cats so it was much easier. I think it could work with a lot of dog training recall leave and stay commands if you can spend enough time working on these and loads of walks so the dog does not chase the cat in the end the cat will come round. Some professional help might be needed. To help you and the dog. I hope you can help your dog to find something more exciting than the cat. Good luck x
Helenhb
Helenhb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Blake
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 03 2012, 19:09

You need to teach him to 'leave it'. refer to Victoria Stillwell if need be. Alternatively you can take him out the room or away from the cat each time he harrasses it. If he doesn't go for it praise him. Even if you have to take him out the room 30 times until he stops do it. I have 4 cats and 2 staffords and they live together inrelative harmony.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down