Sulking puppy

+2
Galadriel
x0gawjus0x
6 posters

Go down

Sulking puppy Empty Sulking puppy

Post by x0gawjus0x Sat Aug 18 2012, 08:24

Lol i was just curious to see if anyone elses puppy has a good old sulk when they get told off?

If we shout no at vinnie for doing something he will either walk away lay down and let out a big huff or he will go under the table and sit there looking at us with puppy dog eyes so we feel really bad for saying no LOL

Sad he's just too cute
x0gawjus0x
x0gawjus0x
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 10/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Sulking puppy Empty Re: Sulking puppy

Post by Galadriel Sat Aug 18 2012, 11:15

I think I said this on another thread the other day; dogs/pups don't sulk.

They display what are called appeasing behaviours to try and avoid something they don't like or when they're feeling threatened.

What do you shout at him for?

It's much better to train him to do what you want him to do rather than tell him off for doing something he shouldn't be doing.

Telling pups off is a good way to make them nervy and/or teach them not to try new things.

ETA: Not sure if I explained it properly...When I say dogs don't sulk, I mean they just aren't capable of feeling sorry for themselves, when you think a dog/pup is sulking, he will be feeling fearful so displays behaviour to try and stop the frightening thing from doing whatever it's doing to cause the dog/pup feel scared, i.e. the dog/pup is saying "please don't hurt me, I'm not a threat"

Galadriel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by x0gawjus0x Sat Aug 18 2012, 11:57

He definately sulks lol, we always tell him a stern no, it does him no harm at all imo.. we have never hurt or hit or smacked or anything like that, just stern no's......
and he will walk away from us flop on the floor and huff just like a kid would do when their having a sulk Wink
x0gawjus0x
x0gawjus0x

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sat Aug 18 2012, 12:39

Believe me, it's not a sulk Wink you might interpret it as a sulk but a sense of self is required to sulk, something which dogs do not have. Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lozlil Sat Aug 18 2012, 12:56

It was my post you commented on Galadriel! Since i posted it i now give a stern no and then give him a chew toy! Since then there has been no "sulking" LOL Great advice!
Lozlil
Lozlil
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Patch
Dog(s) Ages : 8 weeks
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sat Aug 18 2012, 13:25

Lozlil wrote:It was my post you commented on Galadriel! Since i posted it i now give a stern no and then give him a chew toy! Since then there has been no "sulking" LOL Great advice!

thumbs up Sounds like you're training 'no' as a positive interrupter Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18 2012, 13:29

I agree with what Galadriel said about dogs not truly sulking, just looking like they are. It is cute and makes it hard to not feel sorry for them though Laughing Loki is like it when he's in his cage and not wanting to sleep yet. He'll make groany noises while he looks at us looking like he's just had his sould destroyed, and then after a few minutes he'll let out this long sigh and go to sleep Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sat Aug 18 2012, 13:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvPaqMZyo8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Kikopup - positive interrupter.

She uses a kissing noise but I see no reason not to use no if that's what's easiest for you although it needn't be a stern no as the sternness may be still be startling/intimidating.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18 2012, 16:44

sorry but I've got 2 sulkers that aren't sulkers as well Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Aug 18 2012, 17:03

I get official huffs from Rocky sometimes it's hilarious. He left the room earlier today and gave me a right "Hrrrufffff" as if to say "Well boll***s to you mrs" rolling on the floor
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by x0gawjus0x Wed Aug 22 2012, 09:05

haha dave one sulker is enough for me Wink
x0gawjus0x
x0gawjus0x

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Wed Aug 22 2012, 11:27

Dora sometimes does a big loud exhale which sounds just like a 'hurrumph' and sinks her head on her paws when she doesn't get her way
alexiastra
alexiastra
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Sulking puppy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dora
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://www.alexandrabuckle.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22 2012, 11:41

Personally I don't care if some scientist has spent ages researching whether dogs sulk , have the physicsl opr mental ability to sulk and how many books are written about it ,

My dogs both sulk , end of !! and every other dog I have owned has sulked at times or at least my perception of a sulk and not one of a psychiatrist.

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Aug 22 2012, 15:48

may be he did'nt research the staffie breed of dogs!
when i forgot to buy sasha's sardines the other day,this is the reactions i got
1.turned her back on me
2.would'nt talk to me all evening
3.refused to eat her food
4.huffed n puffed all evening
now if thats not sulking,i'd hate to think what is!
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Thu Aug 23 2012, 08:09

Laughing Staffies, as amazing as they are, are still dogs, they don't have extra sulking capabilities that other dogs don't have!

IME, a deep exhalation is usually just a sign of relaxation, my dogs usually do it when they lie down and/or at a time like when they realise they're not getting any of my dinner so stop focusing and go and relax.

Dogs are great at offering behaviours that get them what they want, sasha has obviously learnt that not eating unless she has sardines is a great way to increase the likelihood of sardines being served. In the same way that she's probably learnt that if she acts all aloof, she'll get lots of fusses.

If people want to see their dog as some kind of fury human then that's up them providing it doesn't harm the dog but I've found believing dogs can do things that they're not capable of, like knowing wrong or right for example, often leads to problems between human and dog and even the mistreatment of dogs by their humans.

For anyone that likes to learn about dogs as dogs and enjoys trying to understand them as the incredible creatures they are then I'd highly recommend reading The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 23 2012, 08:13

Like I said before maybe you've read books and researched it but I know what I see , to me my dogs are part human and why take the fun out of owning them by learning about them from a book. I prefer the real world and interpret their actions as I see them , not how a book tells me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Thu Aug 23 2012, 08:47

Dave wrote:Like I said before maybe you've read books and researched it but I know what I see , to me my dogs are part human and why take the fun out of owning them by learning about them from a book. I prefer the real world and interpret their actions as I see them , not how a book tells me.

That's up to you Smile I personally prefer to base things on evidence based facts where available in my life rather than interpret/assume, (after all, assumption is the mother of all **** ups) hence why I don't believe in supernatural beings, why I believe in evolution and not that the world was created just 6,000 years ago, why I wash my hands after going to the toilet, why I cook my sausages until they're not pink in the middle but will eat a fillet steak that is pink in the middle etc. etc. knowledge is empowering and I love learning. It helps quash irational fears and generally improves my quality of life.

The more I understand dogs, the better I can train them and the better the relationship and bond becomes. The happier my dogs become. I don't understand why other people don't want to learn about things that will enrich their lives and the lives of their loved ones, but hey, each to their own Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by x0gawjus0x Fri Aug 24 2012, 14:49

o.o blimey lol.......... well i think i have a sulker , as do others do on here .. like u said everyone has there own opinion! xx

talking of sulkers Tongues Vinnie just tried to sneak up on me eating a sandwhich and is now flumped on the floor huffing Laughing
x0gawjus0x
x0gawjus0x

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 15:53

[quote="Galadriel"]
Dave wrote:
I don't understand why other people don't want to learn about things that will enrich their lives and the lives of their loved ones, but hey, each to their own Smile

Because maybe we just don't want to , because we want to believe our animals are more human like than we give them credit for , because we want to have a little fun with them and because maybe we don't want to treat our lives that seriously. There is enough bad stuff going on in the world without making things like this serious.

The post was written in good humour , let's keep it like that without letting science ruin it , ok ?? The next thing you will be saying is that Staffies don't smile and aren't really 50% frog Surprised

Now if you don't mind I am off to attend to my 2 sulking dogs as they have had no time from me this afternoon Laughing , oh wait a minute , I think I remember that somebody once wrote that Staffies have no perception of time either doh

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Fri Aug 24 2012, 16:40

Laughing

You seem to have a low oppinion of science Surprised maybe I'm not explaining myself very well as it certainly doesn't take the fun out of owning a dog! (For me anyway) The more I understand them, the more fun our relationship becomes Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 17:08

Dave wrote:

The post was written in good humour , let's keep it like that without letting science ruin it , ok ?? The next thing you will be saying is that Staffies don't smile and aren't really 50% frog Surprised

Lexi isn't 50% frog...shes 50% slug thank you very much!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24 2012, 17:30

Galadriel wrote:Laughing

You seem to have a low oppinion of science Surprised maybe I'm not explaining myself very well as it certainly doesn't take the fun out of owning a dog! (For me anyway) The more I understand them, the more fun our relationship becomes Smile

I've actually got a very high opinion of science as it has helped me carve out my career , I just think that some things are better off unknown and let the dogs have a character

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Fri Aug 24 2012, 18:03

Dave wrote:
Galadriel wrote:Laughing

I've actually got a very high opinion of science as it has helped me carve out my career , I just think that some things are better off unknown and let the dogs have a character

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Wink I don't need see my dogs as half human to see and appreciate their character Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down