Dora update

3 posters

Go down

Star Dora update

Post by alexiastra Wed Aug 08 2012, 20:52

I thought it was about time to give you all an update on Dora.
I don't get chance to contribute to the forum much these days but the forum was so useful when Dora was little that I like to keep you all updated when I can.

In my last update we had just moved house, but we have been in the new house a few months now and we are all very well settled. Dora had her first season while we were moving which was less than convenient, but we got through it. More recently she has had a false pregnancy which was a bit tough for her (and us), but she has been back to her normal self for a week or so now. Were hoping we can get her lady op out of the way soon before season number two.

On a more positive note, she has been excelling at her training. We completed the basic/life/obedience training courses, to the point that we moved to the Gun Dog training class to learn some new more advanced stuff. It was great, we were able to teach her to do a 'memory'. I.e drop a tennis ball and call her away with us and when we are really quite far away, we can send her back to the ball, at which point she bolts off in the direction of the ball and then reappears, ball in mouth, looking very pleased with herself! She loves it. We were also able to teach her to search for a ball. The training also teaches a lot of restraint. For example we can now throw a ball out while she sits and waits, tell her to go and fetch it and she bolts off in the direction of the ball, then ask her to wait again before she reaches the ball.

All very cool. Thumbs up for the gun dog training thumbs up

We think now she is getting older (she had her first birthday a few weeks ago) we might start doing some agility, because we are confident that she will both love it and do really well at it. We need to have a chat to our dog trainer to see whether she thinks she is old enough yet.

Another positive story I have been meaning to tell you about is the fact that both our dog trainer and dog boarding lady were quite anti staffy before we did the classes and before they got to know Dora. Yet after seeing her develop since she was a little pup, they now think she is wonderful applause She was definitely one of the most difficult dogs when we first went to training but we think that she has improved the most out of all the other dogs we have met at the classes. Our trainer even said to another dog owner that Dora was her star pupil!
Also the last time Dora stayed with our dog boarding lady, she had a visit from some other owners who seemed really anti staffy. Our dog boarding lady introduced them to Dora and she soon changed their attitude Smile

Sorry, this update has been epic! That's what happens when you don't write on the forum often enough - lol!
Here is a recent pic of our Dora. we are very proud of her xxx

Dora update P1050992
alexiastra
alexiastra
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Dora update Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dora
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://www.alexandrabuckle.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Star Re: Dora update

Post by janey Wed Aug 08 2012, 20:56

Fantastic update! Big Grin
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08 2012, 21:09

What a great update, thank you!

And she's looking really grown up now, and quite a beauty! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08 2012, 22:09

She's looking lovely and thanks for the update.

Back to top Go down

Post by dodge Thu Aug 09 2012, 00:00

She`s gorge & sounds really smart.
dodge
dodge
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Ralphy
Dog(s) Ages : 19 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09 2012, 09:22

Brilliant update. So nice to hear of our staffies doing so well. She is a great ambassador for the breed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09 2012, 09:43

Great update and well done to Dora on her training thumbs up
It's a good feeling when our furbabies change someone's opinion of the breed. Lovely pic of her Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Thu Aug 09 2012, 15:36

Aww thanks for all the lovely comments xx
alexiastra
alexiastra
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Dora update Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dora
Dog Gender(s) : Female