Rescue Staffy doesn't stop.

4 posters

Go down

Rescue Staffy doesn't stop. Empty Rescue Staffy doesn't stop.

Post by Cena Fri Aug 03 2012, 21:28

Hi - Im new to this site and looking for some advise

Cena is 2year old Staffy crossed we rescued him about 6 weeks ago. He's a great dog few minor problems one of the main ones in this moment in time is we get up at 6am for work and all this week Cena has decided he gets up at 5am!!!!! We take him out 6ish at night for over an hr most of this time he's off the lead running about. When we get in after a walk first thing he does it bring his ball for playtime. He sleeps in the kitchen when he wakes he scratches the door he stops for 15mins then starts again we ignore this behaviour until its time for us to get up and we only get up once he has stopped. My partner and i are shattered. yawn

Should say he likes his comforts ie the sofa and under the cover in our bed (this happened the first night i stupidly gave in and let him sleep in our bed). We are trying really hard to keep him off sofa and out of the bedroom. Think it save to assume he got away with this at his previous home.

Cena
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Cena
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Rescue Staffy doesn't stop. Empty Re: Rescue Staffy doesn't stop.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03 2012, 21:30

Hi & Rescue Staffy doesn't stop. Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Rescue Staffy doesn't stop. Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Rescue Staffy doesn't stop. Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Rescue Staffy doesn't stop. Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Rescue Staffy doesn't stop. Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Rescue Staffy doesn't stop. Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Rescue Staffy doesn't stop. Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Rescue Staffy doesn't stop. Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Aug 03 2012, 21:33

Give him time to settle and ignore the early morning wake up call!

I take it you do take him out before work also?

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03 2012, 21:33

You will have to set and enforce the rules consistantly for him so he knows what is and isn't allowed. If you don't want him on the furniture tell him to get off or no before he gets on. If you don't want him in the bedroom keep the door closed.

What are you feeding him on and how much exercise is he getting. Idealy he needs 2 walks a day of 45 minutes each.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03 2012, 21:49

I read that getting a dog to walk on the lead (heeling) gets them very tired cos not only is the walk physically tiring, but it's mentally tiring because it requires a lot of discipline and effort on their part. I'd also suggest getting him one of those balls that you can put treats in and they come out randomly; Loki has one of those and when I'm tired but he's still wanting to play, I'll put some treats in the ball and he'll roll it around Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cena Fri Aug 03 2012, 22:06

Thanks for all the quick and helpful advice mon -fri he gets 30mins walk in morning, 15mins at lunch time, 10mins when we get in from work 4ish the 1hr 30mins at night then all night playing with the ball. At the weekend he get approx 10mile walk Sat & Sun. I think he just likes his comforts but I like my sleep. Trying soooooo hard not to give in. He gets feed meat and meal other wise it upsets his stomach.

Cena

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Aug 03 2012, 22:12

You have to be firm with him, he'll learn, although Moo wasn't allowed on the sofa or bed...............................she is now Laughing
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Cena Fri Aug 03 2012, 22:21

Thanks janey,

I can foresee that happening here. I'm going to try and cover the window tonight so the room is nice and dark. Getting him off the sofa is hard work he just looks at me like "I'm comfy leave me alone" food is the only thing which works apart from dragging him off but then he thinks it playtime and start mouthing argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! banghead

Cena

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03 2012, 22:31

Is he let out before bed? Do you leave water down? If he is looking out to wee then thats two things you can play with. If he is just looking to get to you you can try blackout blinds, it gets light very early and most dogs naturally wake at dawn however have learned to stay asleep longer in their "pack"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04 2012, 00:52

Hi & welcome.

Have you thought about crate training him until he's fully settled into a routine? It can take a rescue dog some months to adapt to his new surroundings & routines.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04 2012, 00:52

P.S. What do you feed him & when?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cena Sat Aug 04 2012, 08:34

Woo Woo 8am this morning Big Grin - Not sure about the create - think it will be extra work to get him use to it - hopefully last weeks early morning was just a one off. We feed him just before bed and there is always water for him. Thanks for all the advice

Cena

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04 2012, 09:25

What brand of food do you give him?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Aug 04 2012, 14:50

When we first got Rocky from the rescue centre he wasn't allowed on the bed or the sofa but he now goes on both. If you dont want him on the furniture you need to be firm with him and use a firm NO or Down command.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04 2012, 15:56

Hi and welcome to the forum from Tyson and me. Try feeding him right after he has cooled down from his walk. Let him out for potty about an hour after feeding and then for a wee just before bed. Having to hold in widdle from just after 7.00pm till 6.00 the next morning doesnt seem fair.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sat Aug 04 2012, 16:13

Welcome! Rescues can be more work to settle as they can be unsure that they really get to stay. I have rescued two and it takes a while. Each dog is unique but it was a much longer process with Frosty and Piggie than Monte. Keep up the hard work. It is very exhausting at first, but once they settle, it will be grand.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down