natural dog remedies and doggy first aid!

+7
Jackieb
Paul H
racamoe
brutusindubai
Gazagem
Andy
roz w
11 posters

Go down

natural dog remedies  and doggy first aid! - Page 2 Empty natural dog remedies and doggy first aid!

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19 2012, 18:21

First topic message reminder :

I personally try to avoid using any chemical or un-natural drugs on my boys whether for fleaing worming whatever. So this is going to be a list of 'natural remedies' as such that I give my boys and what they are used for.

*please note this is my choice you are free to use what you wish, if in doubt consult your vet and do your own research*

None of these lists are exhaustive it's to give you an idea....

Garlic - garlic is always down on the lists for dangerous foods for dogs which technically it is IF you feed it by the bucket load. However given in appropriate amounts is very beneficial to your dog it can:

- is a natural fleaer and help with ticks
- detoxifies the body
- helps with digestion

It can be given as fresh cloves or in capsule form

apple cider vinegar - If giving this it must be the unpasteurised product containing 'the mother' it helps with

- alleviating allergies
- maintaing a balanced ph within the body
- arthritis
- stopping yeast infection internally and topically
- insect repellent if applied to the fur
- help with skin disorders

salmon oil - *note if giving any time of fish/salmon oil vit E needs to be given as the former depletes the body of the latter*

- makes food more appealing
- great for skin conditions/ dry skin
- helps joints

fish body oil - see note above

- keeps skin healthy
- healthy joints
- contains the omega 3 + 6 the body needs

vitamin e - *needs to be given with the above* antioxidant vitamin

- replenishes the vitamin e the body loses
- keeps the body hydrated
- promotes healing of the body
- 'anti cancer' properties

glucosamine - this is best to be given in it's natural form i.e from their food, foods such as chicken feet and heads are natually very high in it. However capsule form is just as good, but try to buy them where the glucosamine source is marine not bovine!

- helps with arthritis
- ensures healthy joints
- keeps bones healthy
- helps after surgery i.e broken leg
- helps with hip/elbow displasia

herbs:

rosemary - contains bioactive ingredients that help to prevent the breakdown of the chemical in the brain which is linked to senility. It is also an anti-oxidant

mint - has numerous digestive benefits, is a diuretic, cancer fighting, and has numerous nutrients. It also tastes nice Wink

turmeric - turmeric is a binding agent and one of the best remedies for diarrhoea. It can cause constipation as well as dehydration. Turmeric has a soothing effect on the digestive system, can help reduce the risk of ulcers and protect the lining of the stomach, elevate blood cholesterol levels and has a protective effect of the liver. It is a natural antiseptic and works as an anti-inflammatory agent for arthritis. It also has known anti cancer properties

ginger - Ginger has a wide variety of effects on the human body and is known to be effective for the treatment of cataracts, heart disease, migraines, stroke, colds, bursitis, chronic fatigue, tendinitis, flu, coughs, depression, dizziness, fever, erectile difficulties, infertility, kidney stones and viral infections. It also very effective against travel sickness.

diatomaceous earth - I use this to deworm my boys instead of any chemical wormer. *please note if you do choose this, ensure the product you do buy is food grade and nothing else*

I suggest you research anything you are unsure about or feel like trying yourself.

Also to add if your dog does have a diagnosed condition or suspected condition that please research what can and cannot be given. For example do not give rosemary to a dog that suffers with epilepsy.

Colloidal Silver - internally about 1 tsp for 25 pounds or less and 1 tablespoon up to 75 pounds and 2 tablespoons for larger is basic dosage. Great for infection prevention, wound healing as you can apply directly on the wound. You never need to dilute.
Coconut oil - dietary, coat conditioner, wound salve, oral salve, base for compresses
Hydrogen Peroxide - ear cleaning, induce vomiting, initial cleansing of a wound
Alcohol - ear cleaner, 1/3 alcohol to 2/3 water for flea spray, part of a compress for achy muscles
Bentonite - detox from heavy metals and intestinal bacteria, etc. Great compress for open wound or to clean out infected area.
Slippery Elm - intestinal coating to promote gut healing after vomiting or diarrhea
Aloe Vera juice - plain and unflavored - promotes intestinal healing and soothes gut - good on topical wounds and moisturizes mucous membranes
Bovine Colostrum - immune support and rebuild, probiotic
Primal Defense Ultra - best probiotic, intestinal repopulating of flora in the gut
Grapefruit Seed Extract - intestinal parasite curative, coccidia, and giardia, great anti bacterial - make your own anti bacterial spray for pennies
Ground Raw Pumpkin Seeds - worming
Shredded unsweetened coconut - mild de wormer
Lavender Essential Oil - calming and soothing great in castile soap for shampoos, on your dogs collar or bedding to calm and soothe
Arnica Cream - soothing for sprains and muscle injury
Peppermint oil - part of flea remedies, tummy soother, motion sickness aid
Cedar oil - part of flea preventative
Lemongrass oil - part of flea preventative
Citronella oil - part of flea preventative
Eucalyptus oil - flea preventative, anti bacterial,
((Never use essential oil directly on our dog's skin))
Almond Oil - used to dilute essential oils
Olive Oil - base for ear cleaner (use with lavender)
Lyssin - for pre and post rabies vaccines (for others not my own dogs)
Thuja - for pre and post vaccine damage for DHLPP vaccine
Pedialyte - pain relief

I'll keep adding to this as i remember more or find more!.....

*please note some of these products may or may not be available in every country, but as this is an international forum i've included them all anyway*

Last edited by ella on Sun Aug 19 2012, 17:12; edited 5 times in total

Back to top Go down

natural dog remedies  and doggy first aid! - Page 2 Empty Re: natural dog remedies and doggy first aid!

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06 2013, 18:58

ella wrote:I haven't used the tablets but if you would rather give tablets then it's fine Smile

Jackieb wrote:I get the ACV on eBay 'Braggs ACV'

Thanks Ella and thanks Jackie.

I've just ordered the Braggs ACV on eBay. I think it would help my fella a lot.

Great post too Ella, very helpful in many ways Big Grin

Back to top Go down

natural dog remedies  and doggy first aid! - Page 2 Empty Re: natural dog remedies and doggy first aid!

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06 2013, 19:00

brutusindubai wrote:Is there a difference to the acv I find at waitrose to that you'd give to a dog?

you want organic ACV which contains the 'mother' for dogs so i'm not sure if the one in waitrose is the same

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06 2013, 19:00

MatLogan wrote:
ella wrote:I haven't used the tablets but if you would rather give tablets then it's fine Smile

Jackieb wrote:I get the ACV on eBay 'Braggs ACV'

Thanks Ella and thanks Jackie.

I've just ordered the Braggs ACV on eBay. I think it would help my fella a lot.

Great post too Ella, very helpful in many ways Big Grin

thanks mat Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Thu Mar 07 2013, 03:54

Thanks Ella. So it's organic acv you want? I managed to get the Heinz ACV, but it oesnt mention mother on the bottle. This may be a tough ask over here in the UAE.
brutusindubai
brutusindubai
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Brutus
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, woo hoo
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 07 2013, 05:26

Yer organic is best but any that says contains the 'mother' which if you look in the bottle looks like cloudy spider web sort of thing is what your after Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 07 2013, 05:58

You mentioned fish body oil and needing to add vitamin E, is that the same with cod liver oil, you'd need to add vitamin E to it?

Thanks Ella, this is a really informative and helpful list Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 07 2013, 12:11

Yes it is but I wouldn't give cod liver oil as they can OD on it as it contain vit a and d which are fat soluble and get stored in the tissues. I'd give a fish body oil instead as it's much more healthy and beneficial to them

Back to top Go down

Post by Kazzy&honey Tue Mar 12 2013, 17:46

Wow what a fab list thank you. When i get chance im going to look into some of those for my puppy
Kazzy&honey
Kazzy&honey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Honey and Keiko
Dog(s) Ages : 14 months and 18 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female and male
Support total : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 21:15

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by taras Sat Jan 18 2014, 13:38

This is a brilliant list! Just wondering how much garlic to give Chico?

taras
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Chico
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 18 2014, 23:06

I commented on your other thread, a clove crushed once a day or a few times a week is enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sat Feb 01 2014, 22:38

This is fantastic thanks Ella Smile do you naturally vaccinate your two aswell? Is that possible? :/
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 01 2014, 22:45

yes you can in a way using Nosodes however i don't vaccinate at all, as i don't believe in them, and believe they do more harm then good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sat Feb 01 2014, 23:50

Thanks! My parents' staff had his first vaccination and they never took him for the booster and he has been fine! Just read somewhere about the possibility of vaccinations causing other illnesses to develop too such as collitis and food allergies! Interesting...

Last edited by Bane on Sat Feb 01 2014, 23:56; edited 1 time in total
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 01 2014, 23:52

It's something to do plenty of research on if you are considering not vaxing or limited vaccinations Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sat Feb 01 2014, 23:57

Yeah I think I will Smile (edited previous post)
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02 2014, 00:07

have just seen hun. Yes there are a lot of adverse reactions to vaccinations, which can include allergies leading up to cancers and auto immune disorders

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sun Feb 02 2014, 00:15

I can't believe things like that aren't mentioned to you when you take your dog in to be vaccinated! Surprised We were told 'he might be sleepy after the first vaccine' That was it! Nothing about any adverse reactions!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02 2014, 00:19

It is a bug bare of mine, but if you look at some of the ingredients including formaldehyde and lead then is it any wonder!

If you ask your vet they will say there could be a reaction but the chance is so slim whats the worry! Tell that to the owners who had to PTS there dog through a reaction

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sun Feb 02 2014, 10:04

We weren't given any details about it, they got the needle out back then came and injected him and that was it!
Sorry I don't know what PTS stands for? >.>
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sun Feb 02 2014, 10:37

Ooooh sorry had a stupid moment there! That would be devastating Sad
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Feb 02 2014, 12:09

Bane wrote:We weren't given any details about it, they got the needle out back then came and injected him and that was it!
Sorry I don't know what PTS stands for? >.>

PTS = Put To sleep
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down