Hi guys, I really need some help

4 posters

Go down

Hi guys, I really need some help Empty Hi guys, I really need some help

Post by bitterknitter Tue Jul 17 2012, 20:32

Hello! I have a staffy who's female and about 13-14 years old (little old girlie) who has always been very loving, sweet and gorgeous. Except lately over the last few months she's been growling and snarling, and has acted extremely territorial.

She's always been very shaky and sensitive (no idea why since we've always had her and treated her very well and lovingly) but suddenly has started acting out, very territorial and snarling when touching her, especially toward myself. However, she will follow me around like a lamb, the other day I didn't realise she was behind me as I walked into a room and accidentally hurt her foot when I shut the door (I gave her lots of cuddles and apologised).

I feel like I've failed her somehow and don't know what has happened to my beautiful pet. Has anyone had this happen? A friend of mine has suggested she might be suffering from dementia.

bitterknitter
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Hi guys, I really need some help Empty Re: Hi guys, I really need some help

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 20:34

Hi & welcome.

Dementia is certainly possible, but so is deafness or failing sight! Have you had a vet check her over lately?

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterknitter Tue Jul 17 2012, 20:38

Yes, we asked the vet about the shaking and he said that some dogs are just very sensitive. She also uses emotional blackmail (Say I'm eating food, if I tell her to get in her bed, she'll face the wall and shake, looking over her shoulder)

Failing sight is a possibility, but I'm not too sure about deafness. It's a definite possibility.

bitterknitter

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 20:50

If she isn't seeing or hearing things properly she could be over compensating with territorial behaviour.

Add to that the crotchety old age stage & you might have an answer. I definitely ask your vet to have a look at her eyes at least - could be a cataract, or just failing sight.

Denise, one of the members here, has an elderly girl & she's definitelt a bit grumpy!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jul 17 2012, 20:52

Don't feel like you have failed >Big Grin<

I would pop her back to maybe another vet?

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 20:55

We all get a little grumpy as we get older. Joints could be stiff and sore in addition to failing senses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 21:44

Caryll wrote:If she isn't seeing or hearing things properly she could be over compensating with territorial behaviour.

Add to that the crotchety old age stage & you might have an answer. I definitely ask your vet to have a look at her eyes at least - could be a cataract, or just failing sight.

Denise, one of the members here, has an elderly girl & she's definitelt a bit grumpy!

Agree with this and welcome from us and Suki.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Jul 17 2012, 22:41

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Sounds like something in her is failing but definately not you. Agree another opinion from another vet maybe needed.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 23:01

Older dogs get grumpy. They are usually in pain from various things you can't prevent. They usually have poor eye sight and hearing which can frighten them.

In her elder years just let her be and don't stress - she will come to you when she wants. Just treat her like a little grumpy old lady Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18 2012, 10:28

Hayley wrote:In her elder years just let her be and don't stress - she will come to you when she wants. Just treat her like a little grumpy old lady Smile

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18 2012, 14:12

Snap my old 13 year olds a grump bum too Big Grin
Leylas eye sight is starting to fail her, as i have noticed a smokey affect over her eyes lately.
In Leylas case i know her grumpness is just down to old age, she fit and healthy in every other way thou.

If your concerned about your girl by all means get her checked over so you can put your mind at rest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18 2012, 14:46

My Jethro is 13 next week and I am taking to the vets just for a check over for my own peace of mind...he is not grumpy at all but staggers alot from his back end...
Alot of older dogs can get dementia so I would be taking her to another vet just to get another opinion....My boy has always been ultra sensitive too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jul 18 2012, 14:56

vanessa wrote:

My Jethro is 13 next week and I am taking to the vets just for a check over for my own peace of mind...he is not grumpy at all but staggers alot from his back end...
Alot of older dogs can get dementia so I would be taking her to another vet just to get another opinion....My boy has always been ultra sensitive too!

Ahhh bless poor old Jethro, sending him a big hug >Big Grin< >Big Grin< >Big Grin<
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 18 2012, 15:13

kathytake2 wrote:
vanessa wrote:

Ahhh bless poor old Jethro, sending him a big hug >Big Grin< >Big Grin< >Big Grin<

thanks Kathy ! X
I have been looking up the drunken legs syndrome ( their back legs ) that another new member on here was talking about, and also wobblers syndrome, as that involves their front legs as well. The other night when we got back from our walk Jethro started wobbling from his front end.. and then just fell over! I will let you all know what the vet says..He is going next Thursday , and Winston is having his booster needle... My fav vet is on holidays which is why I am waiting till he gets back..

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Fri Jul 20 2012, 22:08

the vets is the best place to go as she may have some pain that you cant see such as her teeth or a growth any being as they get older can get health issues and pains makes them grumpy it could be arthritis vets is your best bet!
willowthewisp
willowthewisp
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Hi guys, I really need some help Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : willow and chester
Dog(s) Ages : willow 3 years chester 2
Dog Gender(s) : willow female chester male
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down