Pup with a pigs ear ???

2 posters

Go down

Pup with a pigs ear ??? Empty Pup with a pigs ear ???

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14 2012, 18:31

My mate's just brought some round for the dogs, will Tommy be alright with one at 3 months ?? He chews for England and if he can destroy a stick then a pigs ear can't be a problem can it ?? Not giving him it until I know but in trouble if not as he has to sit and watch Tilly having hers

Back to top Go down

Pup with a pigs ear ??? Empty Re: Pup with a pigs ear ???

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14 2012, 19:34

I've never given them because of the risk of choking, I don't even give them to adult dogs. I suppose you could give it under supervision.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14 2012, 20:22

I give raw pigs ears and have done since harv was a pup, i try not to give the cooked ones though

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14 2012, 20:36

Caryll wrote:I've never given them because of the risk of choking, I don't even give them to adult dogs. I suppose you could give it under supervision.

I did have a look around after posting and main comment seems to be risk of choking from larger pieces so only under supervision, I'll let him have a nibble and see how he gets on with it, thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14 2012, 20:37

ella wrote:I give raw pigs ears and have done since harv was a pup, i try not to give the cooked ones though

noooooooooooooooooo Smile and bet you give them whilst they are still on the pig Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Jul 14 2012, 21:04

A no from me, stay well clear, Staffys can chew for England soa stag bar is all my 18wk pup needs, wouldn't touch a pigs ear or even nylabone with a bargepole! Too easy for a piece to break off and slip down the throat IMO.

X
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14 2012, 21:07

Jackieb wrote:A no from me, stay well clear, Staffys can chew for England soa stag bar is all my 18wk pup needs, wouldn't touch a pigs ear or even nylabone with a bargepole! Too easy for a piece to break off and slip down the throat IMO.

X

Bit late now , he's demolished it in about 15-20mins flat and he did really enjoy it , Stag bars for him and Tilly have already been ordered yesterday Smile. Never really bothered with pigs ears though before and these were chewy rather than crunchy so no brittle bits to break off

We don't do nylabones

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Jul 14 2012, 21:16

Nice Dave, glad he got on ok with it, just going by stories I've read about ears and nylabones that gave caused choking it's put me right off !

My 2 still have their stag bars from 4 weeks ago, value for money or what ?!
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14 2012, 21:25

Tilly had a chew on hers - then Tommy nicked it off her as I wouldn't let him have his own, after reading the internet about the risks I let hiom have it while I watched him as he absolutely loved it. Tilly doesn't seem fussed too much about stuff like that so hope they both like their Stag Bars. Hope Tilly likes it more than the pigs ear as it resembles a stick and she loves ripping them to pieces.

Paid about 12 each for mine (extra large) after puttin piostage on etc so quite a good deal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14 2012, 22:33

Yours are bond to love those stag bars.
Its works out to be quite expensive buying all 5 of mine some, so i opted for the cheaper option and bought a whole antler off ebay at a bargain price of £20 whistling

Heres Mayja refusing to share with the others. Just after the pic was taken i sawed the thing into 4 very large pieces that lasted months Big Grin

Pup with a pigs ear ??? CookieTy212

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14 2012, 22:36

Denise wrote:Yours are bond to love those stag bars.
Its works out to be quite expensive buying all 5 of mine some, so i opted for the cheaper option and bought a whole antler off ebay at a bargain price of £20 whistling

Heres Mayja refusing to share with the others. Just after the pic was taken i sawed the thing into 4 very large pieces that lasted months Big Grin

Pup with a pigs ear ??? CookieTy212

Hope so it will be something to occupy them both in Cornwall next week whilst it does nothing but rain outside Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 00:25

my local pet store is only selling select rawhide chews at the minute as he says a lot of suppliers now use hide soaked in a bulking agent which if largeish peices are swallowed can swell greatly in the stomach and couse all kind of problems that can need vet treatment???

ps
has anyone heard of bull puzzle
as he getting some in but says it will be expensive (this was after asking if he could get stagbar)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 00:31

bigwazza wrote:my local pet store is only selling select rawhide chews at the minute as he says a lot of suppliers now use hide soaked in a bulking agent which if largeish peices are swallowed can swell greatly in the stomach and couse all kind of problems that can need vet treatment???

ps
has anyone heard of bull puzzle
as he getting some in but says it will be expensive (this was after asking if he could get stagbar)

My local pet store (pets 4 us or something like that) sells bulls' pizzles. The very thought of what they are, though, puts me right off!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 00:45

why what is it caryll as he never really went into detail

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 00:47

Bulls' penises. nail biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 00:49

Surprised im not letting memphis chew on a bull knob lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 00:49

That was my thought, too! rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 00:55

caryll whats your thought on sheep hooves for chewing on

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 00:57

I've given them to previous dogs, but I've got a thing nowadays about choking hazzards. EBTs are known to die frequently from choking so Dempsey doesn't get anything like that.

Most of the chew things (other than rawhide) are probably ok if the dog's supervised, I just don't take a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 01:02

thats the same here caryll not worthj the risk and worry memphis is allways supervised when he got any chew things thats why im looking for something thats a little safer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 01:05

The only thing Dempsey hasn't gone through in minutes is the stag bar. The ones I've got (I've got two at the moment - both quite thick) are getting a bit old & battered but are still going strong. I'll be getting a couple of new ones to take on hols with us in august.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 05:12

I give the boys hooves and pizzles, they are both supposed to be long lasting chews..... They aren't!

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sun Jul 15 2012, 07:08

My lot LOVE pizzle sticks! They're not long lasting though, over in less than 20 mins but they go mad for them. They are good for their teeth, don't swell like rawhide, not treated with chemicals and choking risk is low. They're pretty much all mine get apart from their Stagbars.

Galadriel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 08:31

Agree with all the comments here , got spooked through the night as he demolished it so fast and kept waking him up and poking him to make sure he was ok as he's got a big swelly belly as well at the moment though I'm pretty sure that's just because he snook out and demolished Tilly's food when Tilly had walked away from it
Stag bars will be all he has from now Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 11:28

Galadriel wrote:My lot LOVE pizzle sticks! They're not long lasting though, over in less than 20 mins but they go mad for them. They are good for their teeth, don't swell like rawhide, not treated with chemicals and choking risk is low. They're pretty much all mine get apart from their Stagbars.

20 minutes! God I wish.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sun Jul 15 2012, 13:10

ella wrote:
Galadriel wrote:My lot LOVE pizzle sticks! They're not long lasting though, over in less than 20 mins but they go mad for them. They are good for their teeth, don't swell like rawhide, not treated with chemicals and choking risk is low. They're pretty much all mine get apart from their Stagbars.

Laughing That is a maximum though and from my JRT, they don't last as long with the other two!

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 14:58

Pigs ears disgust me, they're so personal lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 15:00

Hayley wrote:Pigs ears disgust me, they're so personal lol

The pig might not think so much about your ears Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 17:40

Galadriel wrote:
ella wrote:

Laughing That is a maximum though and from my JRT, they don't last as long with the other two!

I only buy them very rarely same as tendons and things like that as I timed it and the biggest piece i could find lasted 40 seconds Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sun Jul 15 2012, 19:06

ella wrote:
Galadriel wrote:
ella wrote:

I only buy them very rarely same as tendons and things like that as I timed it and the biggest piece i could find lasted 40 seconds Sad

Laughing bloody hell! Well they last a bit longer than that here!

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 20:21

Galadriel wrote:
ella wrote:
Galadriel wrote:
ella wrote:

Laughing bloody hell! Well they last a bit longer than that here!

When the boys can get through beef ribs in about 3 minutes a pizzle is nothing to them Rolling Eyes lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 20:28

Dave wrote:

lol no i mean it in a i couldnt feed it to my dog cause ears are so personal, like eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 20:37

the pizzles he was on about are about 2.5 feet long Surprised he reckend should cut up to 5/6 peices

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 16 2012, 02:24

I feed pizzles whole and they still last seconds so wouldn't even bother in pieces

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 16 2012, 15:06

Hayley wrote:
Dave wrote:

lol no i mean it in a i couldnt feed it to my dog cause ears are so personal, like eyes.

So if I'm reading right a Pizzle stick is part of a Bull's p***s, how personal is that Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 16 2012, 15:37

ella wrote:I feed pizzles whole and they still last seconds so wouldn't even bother in pieces

ella are you feeding fresh pizzle as the dry ones iv seen today look much like hide so im thinking would last longer than seconds

and OMG Surprised no wonder bull walk round with smiles on there faces donkey got nothing on them especaly if that how big after all dry up and shriveled lol Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 16 2012, 16:31

bigwazza wrote:
ella wrote:I feed pizzles whole and they still last seconds so wouldn't even bother in pieces

ella are you feeding fresh pizzle as the dry ones iv seen today look much like hide so im thinking would last longer than seconds

and OMG Surprised no wonder bull walk round with smiles on there faces donkey got nothing on them especaly if that how big after all dry up and shriveled lol Blushing

I've feed fresh * 'n' balls yep Wink i have also given them the dried ones from pets shops Smile and no the dried one only lasted seconds

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 16 2012, 17:08

ella wrote:
bigwazza wrote:

I've feed fresh * 'n' balls yep Wink i have also given them the dried ones from pets shops Smile and no the dried one only lasted seconds

hehe your boys love eating ****n balls is there any thing you draw the line at Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 16 2012, 19:33

bigwazza wrote:
ella wrote:
bigwazza wrote:

hehe your boys love eating ****n balls is there any thing you draw the line at Tongues

Haha nope Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down