Lead Or Harness

4 posters

Go down

Lead Or Harness Empty Lead Or Harness

Post by dodge Fri Jul 13 2012, 23:00

Hi, my pups 11 weeks tommorrow and having his 2nd injection Wednesday, so few weeks and walkies time. I am going to get him used to lead or whatever indoors as advised. I was just thinking whats best, lead or harness? i was thinking of getting one of them flexi extendable ones as he will be able to run about on a field whilst still on lead. Any advice about the best way to go would be much appriciated thanks.
dodge
dodge
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Ralphy
Dog(s) Ages : 19 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Lead Or Harness Empty Re: Lead Or Harness

Post by Guest Fri Jul 13 2012, 23:10

I've always preferred to get a pup used to a collar & lead first, and then a harness if that's what you want. I don't personally like harnesses - I don't feel I have enough control, and I find training them to walk nicely is easier with a collar. But that's up to you.

An extendable lead's fine as long as you get one of the strong ones - maximum pounds breaking strain! Even a pup can have unexpected strength!

If you want to give him some freedom, though, a long line (60 - 80 feet long) can be very useful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14 2012, 00:50

Agree with Caryll here although we use both at the same time and just change the lead dependant on the situation.

Back to top Go down

Post by becki2009 Sat Jul 14 2012, 08:45

i personally prefer a harness as i think a lead pulls their neck too much. i find harness has control of there body and not just their head..but thats a personal choice!
becki2009
becki2009
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sky
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Jul 14 2012, 09:18

We use collar and harness, collar for all the ID tags then attached the lead to the harness.

Need to have a collar on anyway to conform to UK legislation for ID tags and better if dog is used to having a collar on for when you cannot use the harness or inpractical to do so, ie vet trip.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14 2012, 22:18

Lead and collar at first, that's my opinion. I say that because the harness doesn't give you as much control (not a problem now, but it's good to get them into the habit when they're young). Loki learned to walk behind me on the lead literally the first day I tried it with him, so because he's already got the hang of it, when I take him outside for walks, he won't be too bad to train to walk behind me even when he's in a new environment. So, personally, my advice is to start off with the lead and collar because it's easier to get them learning to not pull, and then you can use a harness when they're older if you want to.

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Sat Jul 14 2012, 22:41

i only use a harness with Lola if i need to have her leashed for extended periods of time (camping, walks to the local town etc) but for normal walking on the lead i just use her collar
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by dodge Sun Jul 15 2012, 02:18

Thanks everyone Big Grin

i was looking at the extendable leads to go with a nice collar. Thought might aswell get a strong one from start, the tape ones i think are alot stronge rthan the cord, so gonna get an 8m tape which says for dogs up to 50kg should do the trick. I can`t wait to take him out for a walk skip
dodge
dodge

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Ralphy
Dog(s) Ages : 19 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down