travel sick

4 posters

Go down

travel sick Empty travel sick

Post by becki2009 Thu Jul 12 2012, 19:47

i know ive posted the same topic before, but we tried most things that were said could work.
We have drops from the vets. getting some ginger biscuits but every time we travel sky is sick which makes taking her places such a drama! We are due to go on holiday next week which wil take just over an hour to get to and im dreading the thought of it.
any suggestions that have actually worked for you?
we take her in the car for about 2 mins drive to a big field for walks and she is fine but any longer than 6-7 minutes she gets very wet in the mouth and is sick...even if we dont feed her for her before meal.
becki2009
becki2009
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sky
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

travel sick Empty Re: travel sick

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 19:52

sorry things haven't worked for you , we use to have the same problem with Tilly but she grew out of it. Does she shake and seem to get stressed ?? Normally now with Tilly when we travel she is ok though she does pant a hell of a lot , if there is only 2 of us , the passenger will still travel in the back seat with her to make a fuss and she seems to be more settled. Big test for us is next in just over a week we go to Cornwall (4 .5 hrs) and I plan on them both travelling in the boot together (Tommy in a crate 1/2 the size of my mondeo boot and Tilly in the other half and stopping every hour

Back to top Go down

Post by becki2009 Thu Jul 12 2012, 19:55

i travel on the back seat with her..on a towel..sick bowl in hand..she doesnt shake and isnt stressed..she will lay then sit up if she feels sick and then is sick..or she will just be very alert and not settle or sleep..then is sick.
becki2009
becki2009

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 19:56

Sorry the only thing i've ever heard work is to feed ginger in some form either ginger biscuits or crystallised ginger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:33

Have you thought of a thundershirt. Vanessa uses one for Jethro and says it works very well:

http://www.thundershirt.com/
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by becki2009 Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:52

yeah ive seen those thundershirts..i dont actually think it is anxiety as she knows we only drive to nice places such as for walks, playing with other dogs etc. I think it might be the motion of the car etc. She has a sensitive tummy anyway. id just love for something to work before wednesday!
becki2009
becki2009

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jul 12 2012, 21:03

How about some ginger chews, not specifically for dogs but just give a piece of one to your dog. They are usually available in health food shops. Ginger is very good for upset tummys both human and doggys :

travel sick Orig%2084opcrt%20(2)-250x250
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 21:44

becki2009 wrote:i travel on the back seat with her..on a towel..sick bowl in hand..she doesnt shake and isnt stressed..she will lay then sit up if she feels sick and then is sick..or she will just be very alert and not settle or sleep..then is sick.

Do you travel with a window open , or if its not practical you can buy small 12v cigggy lighter fans ???

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jul 13 2012, 00:11

I don't think you are going to find a quick fix for wednesday, and as you have explored all other avenues I think a thunder shirt may be worth a try. I agree its motion sickness, which is going to be unavoidable for the time being.

She's a pup still and with time I hope will grow out of it Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17 2012, 18:43

Harness her in the front of the car, she will feel less sick.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyRoo Tue Jul 17 2012, 19:54

aww our old collie x was car sick, it was motion sickness, she loved the car but within about 5 minutes she would start with the boot laces and excessive licking her nose, then she would stop swallowing her spit and then she would sit up and be sick. we had her from 8 weeks when i was 16/17, and everywhere we went i had to sit with her with nappy bags and as she was sick we held the bag under her nose. i held my hand on her tummy all the time that way i felt as soon as she tensed so the bag was always in place. after a while she got that used to it we would be able to hold the bag out and she put her own nose into it. it lasted probably 2 years i think. she did eventually grow out of it though, and she was 10.5 when she had to be pts, so it seems a small thing to worry about in the long run. i hope your little one grows out of it soon, we always found having the windows down or having an air vent blowing at her really helped, she was always worse when it was a warm day. none of the pills etc helped with her sickness.
RubyRoo
RubyRoo

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : Born 26/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down