new staffy wont eat much used to eating raw food??

4 posters

Go down

new staffy wont eat much used to eating raw food?? Empty new staffy wont eat much used to eating raw food??

Post by markjaide Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:12

i recently rehomed a 2 yr old blue staffy bitch kc reg,however its only day 1 but she isnt really eating much they gave me sum of the frozen minced beef/tripe squares they sell in pah for about 83p and sed she eats this raw ,she will eat this but not anything else,even turned her nose up at sum cooked chicken and wont eat dried food which id prefer<,really dont want to have to give her raw meat with blood in thats just my opinion but im sure the petmince stuff isnt nutritional enuf for her any ideas?
markjaide
markjaide
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : levi/patch/belle
Dog(s) Ages : 1/3/2
Dog Gender(s) : male/female/female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

new staffy wont eat much used to eating raw food?? Empty Re: new staffy wont eat much used to eating raw food??

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:22

sorry but got no experience of the raw and changeover , however the mince you talk about was a part of Tommy's puppy diet from our breeder when we first got him for a couple of weeks , though admittedly it was cooked and mixed with biscuits

Back to top Go down

new staffy wont eat much used to eating raw food?? Empty Re: new staffy wont eat much used to eating raw food??

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:24

I must admit I don't really like the mince, raw or cooked.

If you want to change her to dry, you'll need to do it gradually. It's not easy changing a dog from raw to dry, because the taste, scent & texture are all so different, plus the digestion times are different as well.

Try giving raw for a little while & add a bit of the dry you want her to eat. Then you can gradually decrease the raw & increase the dry.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jul 09 2012, 23:18

As above really, you could add things like sardines or raw eggs to the kibble, much more enticing Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 10 2012, 05:01

See I feed raw but don't use the minces and do the full diet instead. But as said above it is harder swapping a raw diet for a dry one

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Tue Jul 10 2012, 08:06

If she's only been with you for one day then you need to give her time to settle in before thinking about changing her food.

A raw diet is the best for most dogs IMO and if you can afford the pre-made minces then I'd keep her on those. If you can't afford them then maybe look at doing your own prey model raw or BARF diets.

If you really don't want to feed raw then find the best commercial food you can afford - www.whichdogfood.co.uk is helpful. Then your just going to have to be tough. If you were a dog what would you prefer? Some nice succulent raw meat or some dry biscuits? You maybe better off with a wet food. Wainwrights trays are good, especially so for the price so maybe try those.

Put the food down for 10/15 minutes and if she doesn't eat it, take it up (bin it if it's wet) then and the next meal time do the same. Feed nothing else, no treats or anything. It might take a few days but a healthy dog won't starve itself and will soon realise it's not going to get anything else.

ETA: Changing over gradually like Caryll suggests would be ideal but you may find she'll just pick out the raw and leave the rest.

ETA a 2nd time! Just noticed the minces you're feeding probably aren't complete if they're just meat, for a raw diet to be nutritionally complete, it needs to be made up from meat, bone and offal. You can get complete minces (which is what I first thought you were talking about) like http://naturesmenu.co.uk/products/Frozen_Complete_Blocks/Frozen_Complete_Bocks/ which are good.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Melwilk47 Tue Jul 10 2012, 09:12

Sometimes my dogs get picky and don't want to eat their dry food, if they don't want to eat it sometimes I add some grated cheese and mix it in with the dry food, sometimes I add some lactose free milk, both of which they love and usually gets them eating it. Although this may not work for you, it does work for mine so you never know! Smile
Melwilk47
Melwilk47
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
new staffy wont eat much used to eating raw food?? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jack & Juno
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months & 14 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by markjaide Thu Jul 12 2012, 22:49

thanx peeps ,shes started eating a bit more now no were near as much as my other 2 but its a start Smile
markjaide
markjaide

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : levi/patch/belle
Dog(s) Ages : 1/3/2
Dog Gender(s) : male/female/female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jul 12 2012, 22:50

Little by little as they say Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down