How many walks a day for an 11 week old pup ??

2 posters

Go down

How many walks a day for an 11 week old pup ?? Empty How many walks a day for an 11 week old pup ??

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 18:07

So Tommy is now walking , as of today and I am doing around 15 mins (or I take Tilly with me an do 10 there, 10 back and 10-20 mins tied up to force a break in the middle) just trying to get a little balance so Tilly can enjoy the time too and she will get at least 1 big walk on top of these mini walks , depending on how many mini walks I do with Tommy.

My big question is how many little walks a day would you recommend for Tommy, today I've done 3 ??

As I was a bit uneducated when I joined the forum we just did what we though was ok with Tilly , never really had a strict routine but she was never overwalked as a pup, now I want to take some real advice.

Back to top Go down

How many walks a day for an 11 week old pup ?? Empty Re: How many walks a day for an 11 week old pup ??

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 19:05

I probably did more than that with Tyson when he was 12 weeks. They are very tenacious and dont really let you know when it is enough. I dont think 3 walks a day will do any harm in fact the walking together will strengthen their bond.

Back to top Go down

How many walks a day for an 11 week old pup ?? Empty Re: How many walks a day for an 11 week old pup ??

Post by Kathy Tue Jul 03 2012, 19:13

About 15 minutes for each walk would sound about right to me Dave, i've never had a very young puppy so can only go by what others on here say.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 19:17

kathytake2 wrote:About 15 minutes for each walk would sound about right to me Dave, i've never had a very young puppy so can only go by what others on here say.

I just want to know how many times a day we can go out , sort of planning around 2-3 times + garden time at the moment and building from that

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 19:17

thumbs up
Ty wrote:I probably did more than that with Tyson when he was 12 weeks. They are very tenacious and dont really let you know when it is enough. I dont think 3 walks a day will do any harm in fact the walking together will strengthen their bond.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 19:38

I got told it was 15 mins at first, then you can add an extra 5 mins per month. i was also advised when they are little not to let them climb up too many steps as it is bad for there little hips and knees.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 19:42

Chiara wrote:I got told it was 15 mins at first, then you can add an extra 5 mins per month. i was also advised when they are little not to let them climb up too many steps as it is bad for there little hips and knees.

Sorry but I think people may be missing the point of my question , 15 mins a time , agreed no problem , but how many times ???

What does anyone else have to say about the steps as well though as that is a little more concerning as Tommy makes his own way up and down them all day long and has done for the last 2 weeks since he could manage them ok

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Jul 03 2012, 19:53

2/3 times a day

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 20:03

Three times will do no harm. Plenty of rest in between. No running. Little bones not ready for that until maybe 6 months

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 20:04

Three times a day, Dave. 15 minutes lead walking per walk, maximum, plus a little off lead romping if you trust him (or trust that you're faster than he is!).

That's a routine I've stuck to for 40 years & it seems to work. thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 20:07

Ty wrote:Three times will do no harm. Plenty of rest in between. No running. Little bones not ready for that until maybe 6 months

There's nothing wrong with running around as long as the pup is allowed to set his own pace & is allowed to rest whenever he wants. If he's too hyped with Tilly around, then put him on lead to keep him still for 5 minutes while Tilly does her stuff & then a gentle walk back.

Free running & romping is important in a pup so that his gluteal muscles are built up, which in turn supports the hip joints & helps to prevent hip problems later in life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 20:38

Caryll wrote:
Ty wrote:Three times will do no harm. Plenty of rest in between. No running. Little bones not ready for that until maybe 6 months

There's nothing wrong with running around as long as the pup is allowed to set his own pace & is allowed to rest whenever he wants. If he's too hyped with Tilly around, then put him on lead to keep him still for 5 minutes while Tilly does her stuff & then a gentle walk back.

Free running & romping is important in a pup so that his gluteal muscles are built up, which in turn supports the hip joints & helps to prevent hip problems later in life.

Caryll is right. Sorry for not being clear, I meant running with you on a leash and not free running at his own pace.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 20:48

3 times a day is fine, let him off as he is little he will stay close and will help with recall later. Lots of steps can put strain on puppy joints, I was told if you have a high step at yiour door to lift them down until they are a few months old.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 20:52

Caryll wrote:Three times a day, Dave. 15 minutes lead walking per walk, maximum, plus a little off lead romping if you trust him (or trust that you're faster than he is!).

That's a routine I've stuck to for 40 years & it seems to work. thumbs up

Thats why I bought the training lead , he seems to accept it ok so hope it will work well for him, think he will be ok to stop close as he follows Tilly a lot even if it's just to give her a hard time Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 20:55

Caryll wrote:

Whats your input on the steps / stairs Caryll. He's happily going up and down the stairs all day really as I work upstairs and try to encourage him to go up and down by himself for toilet etc so he gets it a little quicker rather than carry him everywhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 20:58

Stairs have never worried me with pups. They tend to rest when they need to, so not too much strain is put on their joints.

Larger breeds, or breeds that have hip problems rife, should avoid stairs like the plague until about 9-12 months old, but I don't see any problems with staffs. He's well bred & I can't see that he'd have problems with his hips as long as you don't over walk him on the lead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 21:03

Thanks Caryll , what would the forum do without you Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 21:05

Survive, just the same as it did before! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 21:06

Don't think so I think you and Adolf make a great team Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 21:07

Laughing Laughing

Just don't start calling me Eva! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 21:12

Caryll wrote: Laughing Laughing

Just don't start calling me Eva! Laughing

Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 21:13

Been so busy tonight sailed through 4k posts and didnt even notice to celebrate Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 21:23

davemck3834 wrote:Been so busy tonight sailed through 4k posts and didnt even notice to celebrate Sad

Congratulations! dance

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 23:27

Agree that 3 times a day isn't too much as long as it's kept at 5 minutes on lead for each month of age. I'm a bit more cautious with Suki when it came to stairs but she is an AmStaff so a bit larger. I think I would still wait for at least 6 months with a Staff though just to be on the safe side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down