+3
Galadriel
Kathy
crystel
7 posters

Go down

How much exercise Empty How much exercise

Post by crystel Fri Jun 29 2012, 16:03

Hi all hope you and your beautiful dogs are all well.
Just wondering what you think is enough exercise for a stafford.
I am not really asking for myself and i know exercise will be varied per person and their life style also alters too the individual dogs needs,
But i was really shocked too here about someone a friend knew being refused the right too rescue a staffy from a centre, i am all for careful vetting when it comes too rehoming but this lady ticked all the right boxes she could afford the dog had a big garden, she only worked 3days a week and had arranged a walker for those days, had owned a bull breed before, but due too a slight knee injury she put down that she could do 3 small walks a day, the centre refused her as they said staffords need more exercise than that, i am quite sad as is this dog better off in a kennel caged than in a loving home i know plenty of owners that break their dogs walks down in small bouts, it wasn,t a puppy staffie she wanted he was 6yrs old. angry they have said she should look at a smaller breed but with all the staffies that needs homing it was something she really wanted too do.
crystel
crystel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

How much exercise Empty Re: How much exercise

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 16:08

It's sad, but a staff that doesn't have enough exercise could become frustrated & either destructive or snappy. Sad Three small walks a day might be ok for an oldie, but a 6 year old would probably need more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 16:09

Each walk should be 45-1hr long 2 or 3 times a day for a fit dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 16:11

Caryll wrote:It's sad, but a staff that doesn't have enough exercise could become frustrated & either destructive or snappy. Sad Three small walks a day might be ok for an oldie, but a 6 year old would probably need more.

Thing i don't get though is there is no way in a kennel a staff will be getting this amount. They will be lucky with a 15min walk twice a day, but they preach that they need more!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 16:13

Equi wrote:
Caryll wrote:It's sad, but a staff that doesn't have enough exercise could become frustrated & either destructive or snappy. Sad Three small walks a day might be ok for an oldie, but a 6 year old would probably need more.

Thing i don't get though is there is no way in a kennel a staff will be getting this amount. They will be lucky with a 15min walk twice a day, but they preach that they need more!

I suppose it's just 'needs must'. They do what they can with the staff they have. Sad They just want to make sure that the home the dog goes to gets what it should get.

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jun 29 2012, 16:25

I guess your all right its just sad as i just know this lady would have given that dog a wonderful home and she would have commited too it, she had a massive garden that it would have had excess too, seems such a shame that the dog will be left in kennels now, and the rescue centre has lost out on a someone who was willng too help one of our beautiful breeds the sad thing is a know of so many people that would never have 2 or 3hrs a day too walk their dogs but they can go and buy a puppy Sad
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 16:26

I know, it sounds so harsh. But I suppose they're just trying to get the best possible home for him. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jun 29 2012, 16:30

I know Caryll i do agree with you and you have too be so careful with rehoming but he had already been there 2yrs its sad i want him now but my girls wouldn,t except him Sad
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 17:07

I honestly think they are being a little picky with this one. If it was a puppy yes i would see their point but at 6yo even though its still young you would think they would let it go after being there for 2 years to someone with a large garden and experience and willing to walk it despite a knew injury! Poor dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jun 29 2012, 17:33

Thats what i would have thought i can understand them not rehoming a dog that would never get any exercise and be locked in all day but thats not the case, I have advised her too see if someone could help her with walks i am sure if she could gurantee an 80mins exercise a day they may re think this fingers crossed i dont know
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Jun 29 2012, 17:41

Could she not arrange for the dog walker to go in every day for one good walk, then she could do the other smaller walks each day ??
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jun 29 2012, 17:57

kathytake2 wrote:Could she not arrange for the dog walker to go in every day for one good walk, then she could do the other smaller walks each day ??
thats what i am suggesting she is going too use a dog walker for the few days she works but she would pop home as well too be honest she is offering the dog a much better home than alot of dogs i know i am just keeping my fingers crossed for her x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 18:48

A young healthy dog of any breed but especially a high energy dog like a Staffie needs plenty of excercise to maintain balance. Excercise does not necessarily only mean walks. Personally, I believe that there is more to the walk than just walking. The walks should be structured where the dog is in follower mode and concentrating on you and you alone. This involves mental concentration which is sometimes more taxing than physical activity.

In addition to walking (by this I do mean a brisk walk and not a dwaddle), activities such as agility, ball retrieving, interactive play and and a good solid run will drain energy as well as strenghten your bond with your dog.

To be honest, I think that 2 to 3 walks of 45 minutes each day is unrealistic in the real world. A structured walk of a MINIMUM of an hour in addition to some other activities as mentioned should suffice.

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jun 29 2012, 19:15

Ty wrote:A young healthy dog of any breed but especially a high energy dog like a Staffie needs plenty of excercise to maintain balance. Excercise does not necessarily only mean walks. Personally, I believe that there is more to the walk than just walking. The walks should be structured where the dog is in follower mode and concentrating on you and you alone. This involves mental concentration which is sometimes more taxing than physical activity.

In addition to walking (by this I do mean a brisk walk and not a dwaddle), activities such as agility, ball retrieving, interactive play and and a good solid run will drain energy as well as strenghten your bond with your dog.

To be honest, I think that 2 to 3 walks of 45 minutes each day is unrealistic in the real world. A structured walk of a MINIMUM of an hour in addition to some other activities as mentioned should suffice.

thanks for the answer lynne you have the same views as me i have always had staffies and i do give mine too good walks a day they are only 45mins each but my dogs are run off i play with them throw balls literally get them running and shattered Laughing my vet has told me my 6yr old is one of the fittest staffs hes ever seen, i play with them in doors too mind games fun training etc, this lady would do the same she could have put in alot of time too this dog so we are hoping the shelter will reconsider, Battersea do not put such harsh restrictions on the exercise thing as long as you can give the dog exercise, and time, which she can x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Fri Jun 29 2012, 19:31

I guess it depends on how small small is!

If it was half an hour each then I don't see a problem.

I know a staffy that gets just two half hour walks a day and is perfectly happy although he does get other mental stimulation throughout the day.

Is it Alec Waters that said Staffies are versatile and will be happy with whatever you give them as long as it's what they're used to? Some will be happy with two walks round the block each day whereas others will happily go hillwalking for hours on end.

The majority of the Staffies I've known, I'd describe as medium to high energy rather than high or very high like my lab from working lines so it sounds like the rescue are being a bit OTT IMO, as long as small doesn't mean really small like 10 minutes and the lady is happy to give other forms of stimulation like training and play.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 20:05

Ty wrote:
To be honest, I think that 2 to 3 walks of 45 minutes each day is unrealistic in the real world.

What on earth makes you say that? I've always managed to give my dogs (whatever the breed) at least two, hour long, walks a day. Dempsey gets two 1 hour walks and a half hour walk, minimum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 20:06

Galadriel wrote:
Is it Alec Waters that said Staffies are versatile and will be happy with whatever you give them as long as it's what they're used to?

He did say that, but when I knew him his dogs used to get many hours of exercise! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 20:12

Caryll wrote:
Ty wrote:
To be honest, I think that 2 to 3 walks of 45 minutes each day is unrealistic in the real world.

What on earth makes you say that? I've always managed to give my dogs (whatever the breed) at least two, hour long, walks a day. Dempsey gets two 1 hour walks and a half hour walk, minimum.

Caryll, maybe you and I are fortunate enough to have time. I find it tough going to get in two walks on the days when I have work committments and I am lucky enough to set my own hours. Others are not that fortunate and if there are kids to run around for then I am sure walking time is even more difficult to find.

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jun 29 2012, 20:13

I agree with you all too be honest i owned staffies over 30yrs ago and then they said they were very adaptable and would adjust as long as they had company and stimulation, some people can give lots of long walks and that is great but not everyone can do hour walks, and that doesn,t make them bad owners either, i like some of the others on here know dogs that have 30mins and are very happy and others that take their staffies on 3hr hikes, the whole point was this woman was offering the dog a good home with love attention good food etc, and i thought that would be better for him than kennels x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 20:17

Well, we'll have to disagree a little. Personally, I think if you can't allocate a couple of good, long walks a day then maybe a smaller, less active is more suited to you.

It would be different if everybody who only walks their dogs for 1 hour in total per day spent some time mentally stimulating their dogs for an hour or so during the day, but we all know that rarely happens!

Long walks or the lack of them are not necessarily the cause or the cure or the cause of all behavioural problems, but the lack of good exercise will certainly contribute to a lazy or frustrated dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Fri Jun 29 2012, 20:24

Caryll wrote:
Galadriel wrote:
Is it Alec Waters that said Staffies are versatile and will be happy with whatever you give them as long as it's what they're used to?

He did say that, but when I knew him his dogs used to get many hours of exercise! Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Caryll wrote:Well, we'll have to disagree a little. Personally, I think if you can't allocate a couple of good, long walks a day then maybe a smaller, less active is more suited to you.

It would be different if everybody who only walks their dogs for 1 hour in total per day spent some time mentally stimulating their dogs for an hour or so during the day, but we all know that rarely happens!

Long walks or the lack of them are not necessarily the cause or the cure or the cause of all behavioural problems, but the lack of good exercise will certainly contribute to a lazy or frustrated dog.

Not necessarily small though, there are plenty of smaller dogs like JRTs or westies that need similar amounts or more. There are lots of bigger breeds that are much more chilled out like greyhounds, great danes, newfies etc. Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 20:31

True.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 20:34

Caryll wrote:

I do agree with you here.

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jun 29 2012, 20:40

the woman in question said she could have given 3 walks and i think the reason i was abit cross is i know alot of people that don,t give their dogs proper walks all the other points they checked her on she passed, I personally find my dogs don,t like very long walks even when i take them somewhere new they have always been game playing dogs i did some agility with them etc so they chase a ball flat out fall pelt for 40 odd mins and are then shattered Laughing i do alot of games indoors and fun training and they play together for hours so i guess it is back too what suits each dog and owner, isn,t it best that a dog goes too a loving home with some exercise alot of love money too look after him good food a nice big garden than be stuck in a kennel that was my point x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 20:45

crystel wrote:i think the reason i was abit cross is i know alot of people that don,t give their dogs proper walks

I get your point, but you can't expect the rescue centre to say "Well, loads of people don't do it, so we shouldn't expect our forever homers to do it either"

They do what they feel is best for the dog (and no, we don't always agree that it's best, and I think they should have some leeway) and you can't really fault them for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30 2012, 16:38

Just read this post..personally I would think the staffy would be alot better in a loving environment than stuck in kennels..it is not like the dog will be forever stuck in a backyard the rest of its life...
If everyone was honest I bet that there are alot of staffys that maybe don't get as much exercise as they should do.. Yes in an ideal world they should have as much exercise as possible but there are some days that mine have bugger all exercise yet other days they get heaps..that is just life...sometimes you have all the best intentions in the world....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30 2012, 17:00

I absolutely agree.

I think she should appeal this. Saxons owner parents were rejected a dog because they had no fence around their very large property but appealed and they were able to rehome the dog. two years in kennels is abusive in my eye, even if they have the best intentions it is much more cruel to deny this dog a home because a box wasnt ticked.

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Sat Jun 30 2012, 17:30

Thanks we are going too appeal this as my opnion was the same as yours
she was going too offer it a great home and two walks a day not much time left on his own as she didn,t work full time, it seems pretty wrong too me but she is willing too use a dog sitter if the dog needs more exercise, i live in a small private estate and as sad as it is i see lots of families with dogs that just get let out for 10mins too go too toilet it makes me cross that shelters maybe preventing dogs going too good homes if they are too set on rules years ago when i worked with a battersea rehomer she always stated staffies as medium exercise range but very adapatable too their situation and could deal with alot of exerise too we will see how it works home but we are working on an appeal now xx
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsxg Sat Jun 30 2012, 18:31

Just wanted to pitch in here...
I agree staffies need a lot of exercise but as crystel said it depends on the owner and dog.
Lola gets at least one 20mn walk and a chase of the frisbee every (good) day for me. If I am having a bad pain day (i have a chronic pain condition) then she only gets a chase of the frisbee in the park for 20mins and she is fine.
She's not destructive or chews things or gets vocal.
She's get played with indoors as well.
She's a very laid back, cuddly dog Smile
mrsxg
mrsxg

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 6yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://[url=http://pitapata.com][img]http://pdgf.pitapata.com/re

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30 2012, 18:51

The thing is, the rescue centres have rules, and you can't blame them for sticking to them. By all means appeal, and hopefully they'll look at it as an individual case, but I see nothing wrong in them wanting the best possible life for the dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Jun 30 2012, 19:03

walking is a important training tool.

1) it enforce who boss.
2) it's for Socializing.
3) it's make the dog tired.
4) you have happy dog because hes / she doing what dogs want to do is smell things.

so in my opinion always should give their dog at least 2 walks a day 45mins or over walks or you could have a problem dog on your hands

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30 2012, 19:34

But caryll in this individual case a home with two walks a day even if not as long as someone else may walk (im assuming they would be about 20mins?) is better than being in a kennel all day everyday for another two years. i still cant get over in kennels for two years, thats so sad.

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Sat Jun 30 2012, 19:34

Caryll wrote:The thing is, the rescue centres have rules, and you can't blame them for sticking to them. By all means appeal, and hopefully they'll look at it as an individual case, but I see nothing wrong in them wanting the best possible life for the dog.
I am not sure i feel the best possible life for this dog is in a kennel when its being offered a great home I do agree with you about rules though and i know they have too stick too them but this actually isn,t a rule it was one carers opinion the critera was just too be able too execrcise the dog which she can do i am hoping they will reconsider as she has now agreed too get in a dog walker for an extra run each day x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Sat Jun 30 2012, 19:38

mrsxg wrote:Just wanted to pitch in here...
I agree staffies need a lot of exercise but as crystel said it depends on the owner and dog.
Lola gets at least one 20mn walk and a chase of the frisbee every (good) day for me. If I am having a bad pain day (i have a chronic pain condition) then she only gets a chase of the frisbee in the park for 20mins and she is fine.
She's not destructive or chews things or gets vocal.
She's get played with indoors as well.
She's a very laid back, cuddly dog Smile
that is true too i have a friend in a similar situation too you and her staffie keeps her going as she suffers with her health most of the time he has enough exercises but he has never turned destructive on the days she can,t walk him so far x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30 2012, 19:40

Equi wrote:But caryll in this individual case a home with two walks a day even if not as long as someone else may walk (im assuming they would be about 20mins?) is better than being in a kennel all day everyday for another two years. i still cant get over in kennels for two years, thats so sad.

crystel wrote: I am not sure i feel the best possible life for this dog is in a kennel when its being offered a great home I do agree with you about rules though and i know they have too stick too them but this actually isn,t a rule it was one carers opinion the critera was just too be able too execrcise the dog which she can do i am hoping they will reconsider as she has now agreed too get in a dog walker for an extra run each day x

I know what you're saying, and yes most homes would be better than a kennel. BUT. There could be a home somewhere that will give her better than that. And if there's an appeal facility, that will show that the prospective adopter is serious about the dog? Maybe that carer has seen dogs go to homes where the exercise levels aren't sufficient & has seen those dogs become a problem & returned to the rescue?

I really hope the appeal works for your friend, but I don't think you can criticize the centre for wanting the best for the dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Sat Jun 30 2012, 19:46

we are appealing officially i am helping her, the dog has already been in the kennel for 2yrs it came from a home where it had no exercise at all and they have had no offers too rehome him in over a year he has lost so much weight and has stress alopecia so sad Sad but no i don,t judge the centre my best friend was a rehomer for battersea for years and i know they have a really tough job xx
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30 2012, 19:50

Hopefully, with an appeal, they'll see the overall good in the home & it'll succeed. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 30 2012, 20:22

I see what you mean about lack of exercise making the dog a problem and getting it returned caryll. didnt think of that durr haha

just cant stop thinking about two years in kennels Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 01 2012, 00:50

Equi wrote:
just cant stop thinking about two years in kennels Sad

I know, most rescue centres runa balancing act between getting getting the dogs out of kennels & choosing the right homes for them to go to. I wouldn't want their job.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 01 2012, 01:34

I know I couldn't. I would end up going mad. I felt so sorry for some of the dogs in the boarding kennels and I knew they were only there a few weeks and had a good home. If I was in a kennel and saw a do there for two years I would be taking it home lol I can't even begin to think about the ones that get PTS. I couldn't cope. Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by lolabon Sun Jul 01 2012, 14:08

this walking thing and what "should" be done,by who's standards what is "should " my 2 are 4 years and a 9 month old,the puppy wants to run everywhere while the older one is totally chilled and walks and sniffs so very hard to get both satisfied as the older 1 had a ligament op when a pup so can't walk as much as she "should" so i balance the walks puppy is out 1st in the morning for 10 to twenty minutes while the older 1 sleeps in she will not get up until she is ready,then they both go out mid morning with o/h and again in afternoon again for about twenty mins with running around after the walk, then later in the evening the day exercise has been a warm up for when i take them on their evening walk which is 45 mins+ they both go to puppy school not that the older 1 needs to but it's mentally challenging for her plus i'm always hiding things for them to find,none of this fits in with what "should" be done but it works for my dogs.
lolabon
lolabon
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : lola,bonnie
Dog(s) Ages : 4 years, 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : female princess
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 01 2012, 14:47

Whatever individuals do is their business. However, rescue centres have to have 'goal posts'. They set the rules so that there is a guideline for the optimum benefit to the dog. I'm not saying they're always right, but I am saying that they must try for the best possible home for any dog, not just shove them into a home to get them out of the kennels.

That's why there's an appeal available - if somebody really thinks that they are good owners, despite not being able to tick all the right boxes, then they can try to persuade the centre of their suitability.

Back to top Go down

Post by lolabon Sun Jul 01 2012, 15:02

while i think rescue centres are great i think that sometimes red tape makes them flawed,i wanted to rescue my 1st staffy but wasn't allowed on account i was male and it would be my status dog i ticked every box in their guidelines but still wasn't allowed this dog so it stayed there in kennels while i went and bought a puppy leaving the kennel dog to an unknown fate,
lolabon
lolabon

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : lola,bonnie
Dog(s) Ages : 4 years, 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : female princess
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Jul 01 2012, 15:24

I wholly believed that I wouldn't be eligible to re-home as I only have a yard (although the park is literally through my back gate) I also live alone and work full time. But they were happy with the provisions that I had put in place for care for Ledger while I was at work and they matched me with a dog that wasn't out in the public viewing kennels based on his reports from his previous homes that he had been left alone for long periods of time.

I hope the appeal goes well but maybe it just isn't the right dog for the situation
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down