Nosipho
Maggie1
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tonight at 8 on ITV 1 - Page 2 Empty Tonight at 8 on ITV 1

Post by Maggie1 Thu Jun 28 2012, 10:36

First topic message reminder :

Barking Mad - about the increase in dog attacks in the UK and how to stop it without punishing responsible owners. Probalby worth a watch. Will see how many of them are Staffies!!
Maggie1
Maggie1
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Tonight at 8 on ITV 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Tonight at 8 on ITV 1

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 07:47

They should have come around to my place for the 'other side' of the story. They would have seen my big bad staffy cuddled up on the sofa with my 3 kids and the cat, or they would have seen him laid out on the floor with my youngest using him as a pillow or rolling around on the floor wrestling with my little boy and being incredibly gentle with it. Its all well and good mentioning deed not breed, but why not show the good and gentle dogs as well as the aggressive ones to give Joe public a balanced view? Its no wonder people think the way they do about our breed when all they see is staffies locked up in a crate growling and scars from staffy attacks. I know the show was about dangerous dogs, but if they were trying to promote the deed not breed issue, showing some footage of how wonderful and loving and gentle these dogs can be be would have helped a lot.

Back to top Go down

Post by kate32 Fri Jun 29 2012, 07:57

That staff had no life living in a crate all the time,and it was too unpredictable not to be. IMO there are so many non aggressive dogs put to sleep, if a dog ends up in rescue and is people aggressive it should be pts, it sounds harsh but there are more dogs than people who want them and this would give others a chance that are no threat to people. I think that is what battersea said they do, I agree with them.
kate32
kate32

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : maisy n scooby
Dog(s) Ages : 2 n 3
Dog Gender(s) : female n male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by kate32 Fri Jun 29 2012, 07:59

shontelle wrote:They should have come around to my place for the 'other side' of the story. They would have seen my big bad staffy cuddled up on the sofa with my 3 kids and the cat, or they would have seen him laid out on the floor with my youngest using him as a pillow or rolling around on the floor wrestling with my little boy and being incredibly gentle with it. Its all well and good mentioning deed not breed, but why not show the good and gentle dogs as well as the aggressive ones to give Joe public a balanced view? Its no wonder people think the way they do about our breed when all they see is staffies locked up in a crate growling and scars from staffy attacks. I know the show was about dangerous dogs, but if they were trying to promote the deed not breed issue, showing some footage of how wonderful and loving and gentle these dogs can be be would have helped a lot.

Nice comment!
kate32
kate32

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 10:31

just a fews point to bring up
knowbody mentioned the white staff at the pound that was soft as muck and givin puppy eyes all the time lol
i agrree the program not to bad as it served well to say its deed not breed
i know im just being picky but no proof given that it was two staffies that attacked the postie
and final yaa thay had the token snooty mp that says all owners with face persings and tats are thugs yip well done on the steriotypical image thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Jun 29 2012, 11:12

shontelle wrote:They should have come around to my place for the 'other side' of the story. They would have seen my big bad staffy cuddled up on the sofa with my 3 kids and the cat, or they would have seen him laid out on the floor with my youngest using him as a pillow or rolling around on the floor wrestling with my little boy and being incredibly gentle with it. Its all well and good mentioning deed not breed, but why not show the good and gentle dogs as well as the aggressive ones to give Joe public a balanced view? Its no wonder people think the way they do about our breed when all they see is staffies locked up in a crate growling and scars from staffy attacks. I know the show was about dangerous dogs, but if they were trying to promote the deed not breed issue, showing some footage of how wonderful and loving and gentle these dogs can be be would have helped a lot.

the show wasn't about how nice dogs are the show was about bad owners and what can be done about them

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 11:53

Rob wrote:

I didnt like the comment about "face piercing tattooed thugs" I have my eye brow pierced, and a few tattoo's, dont tarnish me with the same brush as "thugs" due to my appearance, thats exactly whats happening with the breeds due to how they look, I am a very responsible dog owner!

Yeah same! I have had lots of piercings but i have never even SPOKE to a police man because of my behaviour. I have never even been kicked out of a bar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 11:57

kate32 wrote:That staff had no life living in a crate all the time,and it was too unpredictable not to be. IMO there are so many non aggressive dogs put to sleep, if a dog ends up in rescue and is people aggressive it should be pts, it sounds harsh but there are more dogs than people who want them and this would give others a chance that are no threat to people. I think that is what battersea said they do, I agree with them.

I kind of have to agree on this. But i do think they need to look at why the dog is being agro, it might be in pain. I don't think they can just say "oh, it bit someone who stabbed it so its agressive put it down"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 14:58

Steve wrote:there some dog you can retrain and other who cant that staffy look like a dog that wont be retrain and need putting down before another person or kid get hurt in our society and how the newspapers are we cant take the risk for more bad news!

That staff was no worse then chance, you just have to train them differently and manage them carefully. That staff could easily be regimes to someone who knows what there doing.

He doesn't need to be PTS at all

Back to top Go down

Post by Bentley Fri Jun 29 2012, 16:07

Hiya, new to forum, but I watched this show last night... really upsetting to see that (apparently gentle) dog being put down just because it is a certain breed... it seemed a lovely dog, I have to admit that I was moved to tears. As far as I'm concerned it's tantamount to murder. That poor dog did nothing wrong and loses its right to live? It's a little like saying "once upon a time, a British man killed someone. So it was decided to kill all British men". So cruel.

The other bit that annoyed me was that couple who wanted ALL dogs muzzled around children. Sure, I feel for them because they lost a child. But to muzzle ALL dogs? To punish EVERYONE because they weren't careful with a) their child and b) their dogs?

My Staffy LOVES children and it would cause her great distress if she had to be muzzled around them. My friend's two year old and my Staffy adore each other and the kid LOVES having her face licked by the dog! Nancy is so, SO gentle around children.

To be fair on the show, they weren't saying "this should happen", they were saying "here is a viewpoint", although it was a ridiculously impartial viewpoint from someone who has suffered a great loss and isn't thinking straight. So really, they shouldn't have let them on at all. In my opinion... they were idiots.

Still angry about that dog being put down. Oh, and that posh idiot discriminating against people with tattoos and piercings! WHAT. THE. HECK! I know loads of people like that and they're lovely people! It's the scrotes like that "innit" spouting hoodie that are more likely to cause problems... I don't want to over-generalise but he was a total idiot and did his "kind" no favours.

Rant over, cheers!
Bentley
Bentley
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by kate32 Fri Jun 29 2012, 17:14

I can understand why these young people want a mean looking dog to protect them from the real thugs out there and if I lived in an area like that I would prob feel safer walking out with my dogs than with out...but I would never train my dog to bite, I like to think if I got attacked they would protect me but who knows...when you look at the bigger picture its society that needs to change, do something about the rougher areas so that young kids don't need a dog to protect them and educate the kids on how to bring up their dog....all been said before on here I know, but that is the way forward imo...

There isn't the money to rehabilitate every people agressive dog and the country is over run with un wanted dogs which is why I feel money should be spent on the dogs who have not shown agression towards people and are no threat to people...again imo
kate32
kate32

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 18:00

Steve wrote:

the show wasn't about how nice dogs are the show was about bad owners and what can be done about them

I know that but they were also mentioning that 'there is a theory' that it's down to irresponsible ownership, and it should be deed not breed; if they had shown footage of dogs that are owned by responsible owners like us, that would have helped enforce that particular message IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2