Steroid Side Effects?

2 posters

Go down

Steroid Side Effects? Empty Steroid Side Effects?

Post by sprokk3t Tue Jun 26 2012, 22:53

Samson has been taking Steriods as he ahs developed a localised dermatitis on his lips. (Ouch)

The vets told us that he may feel slightly more thirsty and hungry whilst taking them, but any other side effects were rare.

The first, maybe 3 days, he seemed a little depressed and just not himself, but this passed and he seemed fine. He has a three week course.

This is his second week and he is displaying some behavioural issues and not sure if it may be a side effect, or just coincidence, either way, we won't be letting him get used to it!!

He has ben humping non stop, everyone and every dog he meets, and is relentless. Saying no, moving room, ignoring, making sit, none seem to work. He used to be terrible for this but we thought we had it sorted, he hasn't been like this for a long time. He is de-sexed.

The other, slightly more worrying thing, was that he snatched food from the OH, right out of his hand. He has never done this before, is always very gentle, knows the leave command etc. We have no idea why he would do this. He caught OH thumb, and although no bad injuries, he still broke skin. He has not done this since, happened Sunday evening, but unsure of whether to speak to vet or not.

Anyone had anything similar? Could it be the steroids or him being naughty?
sprokk3t
sprokk3t
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Samson
Dog(s) Ages : 23 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Steroid Side Effects? Empty Re: Steroid Side Effects?

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26 2012, 22:57

Steroids can have some very odd effects such as shaking, hyperactivity, increased hunger/thirst.

However, at his age it could just be the doggie version of teenage angst!

It does seem to be a bit of a coincidence, though. How long is he going to have to be on the steroids? Is there no other treatment that could be recommended? ie a holistic approach?

Back to top Go down

Post by sprokk3t Tue Jun 26 2012, 23:11

His lips were very bad, must admit we ahd left it two days before taking him to the vet as we thought he had just irritated it with his persistent chewing!! Because of this, it was recommended that steroids be used to treat. He also had an anti inflammitory injection.
He is on two steroids wokring together, twice a day. It is a lot, but it's slowly working. He has been on them about a week and a half now and has that again to go. He is still a little swollen, but the cracks he had have healed nicely since the weekend.
He had bloods taken to check for immune disorder, but that has come beck clear, so this is the only problem we are aware of him having.
It;'s funny you mention shaking, we have noticed this on occasion but it didn't last any length of time, so we have not been concerned.
Saying that, I'm not 100% sure we have had the joys of the teenage phase.
sprokk3t
sprokk3t

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26 2012, 23:12

It might be worth mentioning it to the vet.

Does he seem more nervous than before?

Back to top Go down

Post by sprokk3t Tue Jun 26 2012, 23:21

No, I wouldn't say he was nervous, maybe in those first three days but not now. More 'in your face', if anything to be honest. A little more jealous as well, now that I am really thinking about it.
He gets a bit jealous of others sitting next to me, usually just sits on my feet, but I have had to put him down from on top of me two or three times.
Forgot to mention also, the OH half has said that he felt Samson was staring him out twice. I've never witnessed this as of yet nad not sure if it's paranoia, as he thought this after the grabbing food incident.
sprokk3t
sprokk3t

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26 2012, 23:24

If the steroids aren't going to be long term, I'd try to ride it out. Go back to basics & just keep on top of things for the time being.

It's a shame that vets never tell you all the possible side effects, though, isn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by sprokk3t Wed Jun 27 2012, 22:46

Sorry, lost connection last night, then realised the time and thought I'd best get some shut eye!!
We have an appointment for the vet next week, so will mention these behaviours when he has his check up.
In the meantime, we will keep on top of him.
It is a shame the vets aren't more honest, I'm starting to notice more and more. This is the first time I've had any dealings with vets, but am learning fast!!haha!
Thank you for all your help and support. Smile
sprokk3t
sprokk3t

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27 2012, 22:50

Let us know what the vet says.

I think most of them are honest enough, but don't seem to think we'll understand so they don't tell us.

My vet has learnt his lesson well, though, & tells me everything, even things he knows I won't understand - if I don't understand then I ask!

Back to top Go down

Post by Deebee Thu Jun 28 2012, 12:16

I think the food incident was because of the steroids. When my Border Terrier had a very bad Stroke just before her 15th B.day our vet gave her a steroid injection. She had to stay on steroids for a while and they made her extremely hungry - she was like a little wolf! She was seriously ill and none of us, including our vet thought she would survive the night but at 7am the next morning she was running around for her breakfast! All because she was such a strong, brave girl and the effects of the steroids on her appetite.

Deebee

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 5 years & 4 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by sprokk3t Fri Jul 06 2012, 21:01

Hi, just a wee update. Had our check up at the vets and Samson's lips are nearly healed, another week of a slightly lower dose of the steriods and that should be him Smile
Had a different vet this time who was very helpful. I explained eveything that had happened since he had began his treatment. They think that some of his behaviours will be due to the steriods but to obviously keep an eye on it and ensure it doesn't become a permenant thing. What I described is apparently fairly common. Suggested trying to up his exercise and keep his mind occupied to try curb possible hyperactivity, but to keep his food the similar to avoid too much weight gain.
He's been really good this week, but his recalled has improved drastically (it's taken a long time!!haha) So he has had more off lead time and this has maybe helped burn a bit of the possible extra energy off thats come from the meds.
It all feels much more positive, and I know that it's only a week now and he'll be in full health again Smile
Thanks everyone for your support
sprokk3t
sprokk3t

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Deebee Fri Jul 06 2012, 22:24

Happy that he's feeling better. Smile

Deebee

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 5 years & 4 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down