Sophie is killing it. Two questions please

+3
crystel
Steve
bobs
7 posters

Go down

Sophie is killing it. Two questions please Empty Sophie is killing it. Two questions please

Post by bobs Mon Jun 25 2012, 15:05

Afternoon all, Shaz here.

Right, I know it is because she is a little girl (and to do with the ph in her wee) but where she spends a penny, she is killing the lawn. I know you can get some 'rocks' to go in her water, but with all the problems we have recently endured with her I'm not sure it's a good line to go down for us. We will also be diluting where she has been with water, but are there any more suggestions. We used to have a lovely lawn, now it is absolutely covered with bare patches Crying or Very sad

Second question. We get a huge number of slugs and snails. Conscious of lungworm and other nasties we want to eliminate as many as we can. Trouble is, having a pond and a garden that part of it is nearly always shady this makes the problem worse. Can anybody suggest a product or 'method' to get rid of them please that is 100% staffie kind. We have seen some deterrants in the shops that say they are animal friendly, but we would still be very nervous of using it near Sophie.

Many thanks in advance Smile
bobs
bobs
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Sophie is killing it. Two questions please Empty Re: Sophie is killing it. Two questions please

Post by Steve Mon Jun 25 2012, 15:12

qhat i do is keep on reseeding the lawn get some good compost Big Grin

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Sophie is killing it. Two questions please Empty Re: Sophie is killing it. Two questions please

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25 2012, 15:15

Yep i keep reseeding the lawn too as it's lovely and patchy at the minute again

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Mon Jun 25 2012, 15:20

Hi I am not sure abut the lawn but with the slugs and snails it depends if you wanted a product too kill them i use one from Amazon called growing sucsess organic slug killer totally pet friendly or if you don,t want too kill them there are traps, i did try that first as i hate killing anything, but my pup could get into the trap!! Hope it helps x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Mon Jun 25 2012, 15:25

thanks for the advice crystel, i'm having problems with slugs and snails in my garden too so i'll be buying the product you suggested!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25 2012, 15:31

Dog pee is another form of ammonia.
The only way to prevent brown patches on your lawn is to dilute the pee.
So i'm afraid its you armed with a watering can following madam round the garden waiting for her to pee so you can pour some water over it each time Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Mon Jun 25 2012, 15:37

Many thanks for the quick responses. I didn't realise how many bare patches there were until I mowed it this morning.

I will try the watering can and buy some of the recommended slug killer.

Hmm, may have to reseed as well Crying or Very sad
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25 2012, 15:46

I work in homebase and you can get Miracle-Gro Patch Magic Dog Spot Repair seeding mix which i know is good stuff Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Mon Jun 25 2012, 16:04

Thanks for that everyone. Bob is on leave next week. We are having some plastering done, but he can give the garden some attention Laughing
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25 2012, 16:12

With the slugs you could sink some bowls in the earth & pour beer in them - the slugs are drawn to it & drown (happily p*ssed as newts!), but you'd obviously have to keep the little madam away from them!

Either that or keep up to date with the lungworm prevention. Sad

As Denise says, watering down the pee is probably the most effective way to combat the brown patches, or keep topping up with the patch repair.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25 2012, 16:23

My grass must be special because it never actually goes patchy. Then again lexi is more likely to pee in the arena (full of sand) than outside if it is raining. So maybe get a large litter tray LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Mon Jun 25 2012, 18:03

I just used to reseed too when I had a lawn.

I've heard of quite a few people with dogs getting artificial grass!

The beer for the slugs is a good one, it's what I do round my veg patch. Think you can get containers from garden centres to put the beer in but they've covered so other animals can't get at the beer but the slugs can still get in...

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by roz w Mon Jun 25 2012, 18:30

funnily enough i had this last year but i dont this year , my lawn is the best it has ever been ...have no idea why

roz w
roz w
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Sophie is killing it. Two questions please Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Trouble
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Mon Jun 25 2012, 21:05

there are slugs and snails EVERYWHERE here. luckily i live in an apartment so i dont have to worry and when we are outside if he goes near one i scold him so he is learning to avoid them. but i think it is a bit hard for you with a garden. try beer traps and then some salt around some areas.
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25 2012, 22:06

WE normally just dilute the area she uses. Easy for us thought we have a very small yard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down