can there ever be too much rough and tumble play? advice from owners with more than one dog.

+3
lolabon
Gazagem
crystel
7 posters

Go down

can there ever be too much rough and tumble play? advice from owners with more than one dog. Empty can there ever be too much rough and tumble play? advice from owners with more than one dog.

Post by crystel Fri Jun 22 2012, 17:12

Hi really just wanting peoples views on this issue.
I have always had two staffiies together but this is the first two that i have had that have really become play buddies.
Skye is a very young hyper bundle of energy she,s 6 and Ava my pup nearly 5mnths.
I have alot of experience with staffords i,ve done dog training and walking for years, i have always loved too see dogs play and have great fun charging around.
BUT i have a good friend who i will admit is very old school she trained showed and works with dogs, she doesn,t really play with her dogs or interact with them much Sad
She came too visit me with her year old border collie, My two was playing real staffie play rough and tumble charging around having great fun, she wouldn,t let her dog join in and kept him in check all the time, she then tells me i am making a rod for my own back and my dogs are hyper and out of control Surprised i was so shocked they were just playing if i want too stop them i can, if they get too rough i only have too say enough and they stop, i love the fact that they wear themselves out and keep fit by running around, she never lets her dog get hyper or play much he is lovely ad calm maybe too calm.
So is there ever so much thing as too much play??
crystel
crystel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

can there ever be too much rough and tumble play? advice from owners with more than one dog. Empty Re: can there ever be too much rough and tumble play? advice from owners with more than one dog.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22 2012, 17:38

It's only too much when it gets out of hand, or they won't stop when you need them to.

When I had two GSDs together, they would play continually until I got fed up with it & yell "Enough, now!" The noise could be horrendous! But they were well behaved at all other times & very obedient.

My border collies were the same although they didn't play quite as hard!

You just need to find a happy medium - they can play until you tell them to stop.

Back to top Go down

can there ever be too much rough and tumble play? advice from owners with more than one dog. Empty Re: can there ever be too much rough and tumble play? advice from owners with more than one dog.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22 2012, 17:47

As long as it stays 'rough and tumble' and not turn to a fight, then IMO no there is never enough. Which is the case of my two who play for HOURS every day

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jun 22 2012, 17:55

I follow your views Caryll my two i can stop with a command and yes they are very noisy and abit mad but they are having fun.
I actually thought it was abit strange that her border had no instinct too play at just under a year it was so calm x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jun 22 2012, 17:57

ella wrote:As long as it stays 'rough and tumble' and not turn to a fight, then IMO no there is never enough. Which is the case of my two who play for HOURS every day
Thanks Ella i do laugh at the pictures of your stunning dogs in play its all teeth bet they make some great noises, but the sad thing is thats the picutres the idiot press would use as dangerous dogs!!!
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22 2012, 18:31

Staffy play is rough and you do seem to be in control. When Ty gets a little too boisterous especially with insecure dogs I put him in timeout for awhile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22 2012, 20:08

crystel wrote:
ella wrote:As long as it stays 'rough and tumble' and not turn to a fight, then IMO no there is never enough. Which is the case of my two who play for HOURS every day
Thanks Ella i do laugh at the pictures of your stunning dogs in play its all teeth bet they make some great noises, but the sad thing is thats the picutres the idiot press would use as dangerous dogs!!!

Haha sure do Rolling Eyes haha

yer it is a shame alot of my photos would be used in the wrong way

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22 2012, 20:38

I've just had to throw my 2 out in the garden as just got back in and trying to have my tea in peace but world war 2 is going on behind me Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Fri Jun 22 2012, 20:45

My 2 love rough and tumble my Skye only2 and buster 10 months but as you said when I say enough they know to stop although some times they will stop for a few mins then try to play again

I love watching them and any dog play
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by lolabon Fri Jun 22 2012, 22:51

dogs should play it's how they learn and unwind like we have a beer so long as they know when enough is enough it's fine bonnie and lola charge around like lunatics lola is 4 and very vocal she gets really excited when playing but is super calm any other time bonnie on the other hand is 9 months and totally nuts but non vocal apart from the morning howl that sound like chewbacca of star wars strangely,they run around the garden at a million miles an hour bonnie likes to use lola as a hurdle and jumps over her as she's running but also likes to nibble her legs for some reason,it's great fun watching them,but if we're at the beach say people do think they're fighting and scream abuse at us for letting them fight,idiots what do they know,
lolabon
lolabon
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : lola,bonnie
Dog(s) Ages : 4 years, 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : female princess
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22 2012, 22:54

Caryll wrote:It's only too much when it gets out of hand, or they won't stop when you need them to.

When I had two GSDs together, they would play continually until I got fed up with it & yell "Enough, now!" The noise could be horrendous! But they were well behaved at all other times & very obedient.

My border collies were the same although they didn't play quite as hard!

You just need to find a happy medium - they can play until you tell them to stop.

I agree and it sounds like you don't have a problem at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by cg Wed Aug 01 2012, 17:27

Gazagem wrote:My 2 love rough and tumble my Skye only2 and buster 10 months but as you said when I say enough they know to stop although some times they will stop for a few mins then try to play again

I love watching them and any dog play

I love it when butkus finds a dog friend when we are out, one who's owner actually likes staffs and doesnt mind them playing.
Your dogs look absolutely stunning by the way. Wish I had another one. I love staffies so much.
cg
cg

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Butkus
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 17:39

Its really good for tiring them out. My two play really rough, all teeth and wrestling, maybe a little boxing thrown in as well. Millie especially is very vocal. God knows what my neighbours think is going on. They do stop when they are told and end up crashed out beside each other on the couch Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01 2012, 17:45

I agree with all of the comments here. If I had another, I would let them play as much as they wanted, as long as they stopped when they were told.

I love it when we're out and find another big strong dog that Charlie can play rough with. He never gets out of control and he absolutely loves it. I love seeing dogs playing happily together Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Wed Aug 01 2012, 17:48

My two when they were younger still in the pup stage they would always play fight and tear about but now when they play fight some of the time it turns real and they start to shred each other. i have had them to the vets a couple of times to be stitched up, in a way your friend might be right.
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by kate32 Wed Aug 01 2012, 21:03

I love to watch my 2 staffs play, its better than telly, they have Great fun.charging round and the kids know to get on the sofa out the way when they in full play. If you didn't know ud think they we fighting cos its real noisy. They stop as soon as I tell them and I do if it starts getting too mad! I try and encourage them to play with their ropes cos maisy ends up with scratches all over her, she's the instigator and she always comes off worse!
kate32
kate32
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : maisy n scooby
Dog(s) Ages : 2 n 3
Dog Gender(s) : female n male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by tass Thu Aug 02 2012, 10:11

My 2 boys play with my 2 lurcher bitches all the time. It's noisy but they all love it, plus the boys are also learning what is too rough. Sure the neighbours think they're trying to kill each other mind!

tass
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Shay and Rudi
Dog(s) Ages : Born 14th March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down