Anal glands?

4 posters

Go down

Anal glands? Empty Anal glands?

Post by Rudyblue Wed Jun 20 2012, 18:45

Hi I wonder if anyone can give me advice?my dog recently has been darting for his back end then sprinting away as if it's chasing him I know it sounds daft but this is the only way to describe it.Anyway Ive just came back from the vets after getting his glands done but there was hardly anything in to come out so she suggested they may be inflamed and suggested a steroid injection but they only last for 3 days so don't really want to go down that route yet so I says I'll see how he gets on with this first.he's up to date with his workers,jabs and hasn't got fleas.has anyone else experienced this with there dog?thanks in advance.

Rudyblue
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Denzil
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Anal glands? Empty Re: Anal glands?

Post by janey Wed Jun 20 2012, 18:47

We had a member recently asking about an itchy bum (dogs not theres!) and it ended up being an infection in the glands (Ithink), sorted quickly, can't for the life of me remember who it was.

janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20 2012, 19:44

Dont forget to deworm him and give him an anti flea treatment. Both these can cause similar behaviour as I have discovered with first hand experience.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudyblue Wed Jun 20 2012, 20:08

Hi I meant he's up to date with his wormers not workers oops! (I pad spelling mistake)he's also not got fleas so can't be that.he's on 2 piriton a day as he's an itchy dog in this weather so don't want to give him a flea treatment until I need to then will put him on the programme as it's a wormer and flea treatment in one

Rudyblue

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20 2012, 20:12

I'm surprised that the vet wanted to give him a steroid jab - I would've thought a course of anti-bs would have been the first option.

Try bathing the area with warm salty water, make sure it's dried thoroughly & then smear some sudocrem over it. It could be that he is a bit sore & is trying to ease the discomfort.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudyblue Wed Jun 20 2012, 20:23

When I first described the symptoms she said "oh yes it'll be the glands"but after she did it and very little liquid came out she suggested the steroid jab.but with him already being on the piriton I'm not keen on more chemicals at the minute as he's only young.yeah I'll try bathing it for the time being and hopefully it'll improve,thanks

Rudyblue

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20 2012, 20:27

Piriton wouldn't react badly with the steroids, but I always try to stear clear of steroids if I can. I think they're dished out too readily in some cases.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21 2012, 08:12

Im wondering, could it just be that crazy htped up thing they do, running around really fast and crazy, just i thought x

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Thu Jun 21 2012, 08:30

If its not worms, full anal glands or an infection, it can also indicate an allergy. As you say he's an itchy dog anyway then my money would be on an allergy.

Have you done anything to try and identify a trigger?

Last edited by Galadriel on Thu Jun 21 2012, 08:32; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by lilembem88 Thu Jun 21 2012, 09:04

I would have to agree with caryll sounds like he's trying to ease his own discomfort and sudocream is really good, I swear by the stuff.
lilembem88
lilembem88
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : SHIMMER
Dog(s) Ages : 10 WEEKS
Dog Gender(s) : FEMALE

http://emma.barrett.758

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21 2012, 09:59

If he has firm poos that in its self helps put pressure on the anual gland and empties it each time he goes for a poo poo. Sometimes if your one of them ppl that watch their doggies do a poo ... which i'm sorry to say i am ( as i like to check its colouring and its firmness) then your see occasionally a squirt of liquid
as he/she lets out the last bit ... thats the anual gland juices sick

Try the sudocreme as he could of made himself sore and red from all the rubbing.
But as said by Galadriel it could be allergie related too.

Or is just one of them dogs that likes the sensation of carpet burns across the * Surprised Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudyblue Thu Jun 21 2012, 15:48

Hi it's not the mad half hour thing where they sprint about it's just every now and then he'll twist right round to his back end then just sprint like a bat out of hell and bounce onto the settee or on my knee and just feel really sorry for him self.I've tried the sudocrem and he's not been at it today yet but he's been at his paws quite a bit so I'm starting to think it could be the allergies and being itchy that sets it of.as for the poo most the time it is firm.thanks

Rudyblue

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Thu Jun 21 2012, 16:01

You say he's an itchy dog in this weather, do you mean during the summer?

What food is he on? Environmental allergies can be exacerbated by a food intollerance...

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudyblue Thu Jun 21 2012, 16:33

Yeah he's not as bad in the winter and he's just started with this bum thing he does recently.he's on chappie now as nothing else agreed with him or he just didn't eat it.he did like the j well beloved but kept being sick of it so he's settled on the chappie and doing well on it,coat,weight etc everyone comments on how well he looks when he's out.he's nearly 14months so it's his first real summer really and he is quieter on hot days

Rudyblue

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21 2012, 16:54

If his paws are itching, then you could try bathing them every time you come in from a walk - again, warm salty water - to remove any allergens picked up from outside.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Thu Jun 21 2012, 20:15

Is it chappie wet or dry? The dry is dire and although the wet's not as bad and seems to be good for sensitive stomachs, they're both low in quality protein and contain unknown grains. I personally would be looking for a higher quality food that agreed with him or be looking into to raw as a good diet is so important for his immune system.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down