Post by steplce Sun Jun 10 2012, 21:24

my 8 month old staffy jumps up and nips you when hes excited
steplce
steplce
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : alfie (staffy/mastiff cross)
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

my 8 month old staffy nips  Empty Re: my 8 month old staffy nips

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10 2012, 21:29

This is normal, you just need to teach him a few manners. If he jumps up, just turn your back on him, if he comes round to your front and jumps again, turn around again. Same with the nipping, a loud, firm 'No' and turn away and ignore him. He will soon learn that his behaviour will get him told off and completely ignored. He'll catch on pretty quickly as long as everyone does the same consistently. Good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Sun Jun 10 2012, 21:35

Hi i agree with everything shontelle said.
My girl is a very nervous dog and even now at 6 she will jump up and try too grab my clothes if she is nervous that will then sometimes end up in her nipping me, she is pretty powerful and has hurt me with this, so i have invested in a control spray which really works for her.
But use this as a last resort if you can correct with normal training i would its just excitment and they would nip other dogs when they are in that state they just have too learn.
crystel
crystel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10 2012, 23:23

shontelle wrote:This is normal, you just need to teach him a few manners. If he jumps up, just turn your back on him, if he comes round to your front and jumps again, turn around again. Same with the nipping, a loud, firm 'No' and turn away and ignore him. He will soon learn that his behaviour will get him told off and completely ignored. He'll catch on pretty quickly as long as everyone does the same consistently. Good luck Smile

Excellent advice and please make sure everyone the dog is around does the same

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10 2012, 23:27

shontelle wrote:This is normal, you just need to teach him a few manners. If he jumps up, just turn your back on him, if he comes round to your front and jumps again, turn around again. Same with the nipping, a loud, firm 'No' and turn away and ignore him. He will soon learn that his behaviour will get him told off and completely ignored. He'll catch on pretty quickly as long as everyone does the same consistently. Good luck Smile

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Mon Jun 11 2012, 11:22

I have this problem with Buster, who is also 8 months. When we first got him he was really bad for nipping, having never been taught not too. We have stopped it at home by telling him no, turning our backs and ignoring him. His jumping up at the moment is getting worse though, and last night while out on a walk he ran up to some children (about 13 ish) and was jumping up one of them (who had been fussing him a bit earlier on) and was trying to nip at his hands! He has never done this to anyone else while out, but he was very over excited at the time as he had just been running through a stream. Luckily the lad had staffies at home, so he was fine with it and knew how excitable they are, but it isn't something I want Buster to make a habit of doing! I am hoping it was a one off, but I will be keeping him on a shorter lead while he is excitable from now on!
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
my 8 month old staffy nips  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd1138 Fri Jun 15 2012, 20:09

I stopped floyd doing this by holding his muzzle (thumb facing nose and your pinky near eyes, so the back of ur hand is on top) then gently slapping the back of your hand, it causes no pain. Worked for me
Floyd1138
Floyd1138
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15 2012, 20:12

Floyd1138 wrote:I stopped floyd doing this by holding his muzzle (thumb facing nose and your pinky near eyes, so the back of ur hand is on top) then gently slapping the back of your hand, it causes no pain. Worked for me

I've never liked this sort of correction because although it doesn't hurt, it can make your dog head shy - it looks awful when, every time you put your hand near your dog's nose, he jerks his head away!

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd1138 Fri Jun 15 2012, 20:17

It did NOT make my dog head shy! He does not jerk his head away! As i said. It worked for me.
Floyd1138
Floyd1138

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15 2012, 20:30

Floyd1138 wrote:It did NOT make my dog head shy! He does not jerk his head away! As i said. It worked for me.

I didn't say you did! I just said that can happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Fri Jun 15 2012, 20:46

I think we all have different ways of dealing with things and as the owner we are the only ones who can truly know how bad the situation, i have been around and owned staffs my whole life and never has one that acted the way Skye did, she is SO nervous for no real reason i control most of this but the nipping got really out of control she only does it with me but she caught me afew times and it was bad so knew i had too control this i have tried everything from all my years of dog training but nothing worked apart from the spray try different methods see what suits you but the important thing is that you do have too deal with it in a calm controlled manner letting him know your top dog and this is not exceptable good luck x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaAlfie Fri Jun 15 2012, 21:11

Hi,
I'm brand new to this forum, so hope you don't mind me commenting. With all of my dogs ( and with the instruction of my trainer) I find that if you squeel OWW!! It lets your dog know that their mouthing is too hard. I often have rough and tumble time with my staff but he has learned how much is acceptable play time and not to get too rough. Hope this helps.
LisaAlfie
LisaAlfie
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 8 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down