Getting Tommy settled in his new home

5 posters

Go down

Getting Tommy settled in his new home  Empty Getting Tommy settled in his new home

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08 2012, 12:25

So as a few of you are aware , we are going to pick up our new pup from the breeder today and we have a little family debate going on. We brought home a rag from our last visit to get Tilly used to the scent and now we are debating whether or not it's a good idea to put this in Tommy's crate for a few days to leave him with the scent of his litter and possibly pacify him a little.
On the other hand my OH thinks it serves as a cruel minder that the bad new owners have taken him from his brothers and sisters so we shouldn't do it . I can see valid points from bothe sides.................. your thoughts please Smile It's always good to know a few thoughts from some you others that have been down the same route taking a 2nd pup

Back to top Go down

Getting Tommy settled in his new home  Empty Re: Getting Tommy settled in his new home

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08 2012, 12:28

Not sure Dave but I would guess it was a good idea.
Someone will be on soon who will know for sure

Back to top Go down

Getting Tommy settled in his new home  Empty Re: Getting Tommy settled in his new home

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08 2012, 12:40

A familiar scent will serve to keep him calm in his new surroundings.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08 2012, 12:42

Its gonna be hard as a man going against the misses words of wisdom, but just this once your gonna have too Smile A smell rag/blanket is a very good idea and one i do with all my pups, but in my case they leave one by one with their own smelly teddy Big Grin
I find it helps comfort the pup in its new home, the smell of its litter mates and mother help reassure the pup.
The fact you have Tilly is going to be of great help, as the young upstart is going to be looking up to her for guidance and any doggie comfort a small half pint needs and yearns for.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Fri Jun 08 2012, 13:10

Hmm.. I'm not too sure about this one. When we got Zeus from the breeders, they gave us a blanket with his litter mates/mum's smell on it but he still cried all night for a week.. maybe it did serve as a reminder of them and made him miss them more? I don't really think it made a difference.

After a week of him having that, I then replaced the blanket with a t-shirt which had my scent on it. I think that was a bad idea though because anytime I had a black t-shirt on (and I have a fair few), he went for it!

goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08 2012, 14:46

Agree totally with Denise.

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Fri Jun 08 2012, 17:30

our breeder suggested it and she's really experienced. Of course Cal peed on it the first few nights, so it didn't last very long (very smelly).

We then replaced it with a old Polartec blanket--we have 2 that are "hers" so I can rotate/wash them. She always has one in her crate, plus we throw one on the couch when we have her come sit with us.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08 2012, 21:03

Thanks everyone , the smelly rag stays Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Fri Jun 08 2012, 21:25

Ok, when we bought Tank home we literally threw him in the deepend with meeting Diesel and his new family (us)
Had no blanket from his litter, nothing
He was fine Smile
Love and food is all they need !
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 09 2012, 01:00

I had a tea towel that had been in Dempsey's mum's bed for a week! It was scrunched up in a corner of his crate & he used to settle with his head resting on it. I think it really helped him to get used to his new home because it had a 'safe' scent on it.

By the time it was so smelly we had to wash it, he didn't need it any more!

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Sun Jun 10 2012, 10:32

Jellybean still sleeps with the pillow we brought home from the guy we got her from and in fact it's the only pillow she hasn't trashed LOL

good luck with Tommy!!
Girly
Girly
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Getting Tommy settled in his new home  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Riverhaven Bella Sun Jun 10 2012, 10:54

Bella came from the breeder with her teddy that had her siblings and mums scent on it also we had supplied her bed two weeks earlier and that also had their scent. She still loves her teddy and it's the only toy she hasn't destroyed. We found she actually wanted us more and we gave her our old clothes for the first few weeks.
Riverhaven Bella
Riverhaven Bella
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 14 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10 2012, 12:43

I completely agree with Denise, I think it isn't so scary for them if they have a familiar scent to comfort them.

How are things going Dave?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down