Help for super anxious staffy

2 posters

Go down

Help for super anxious staffy Empty Help for super anxious staffy

Post by Jodie Thu Jun 07 2012, 09:59

My 8 year old staffy has a fungal ear infection and needs a course of ear drops, we have got through to day 5 managing to get the drops in using food bribes and all her other currencies (offering walks, people visiting etc etc) but now she thinks that each time she sees me she is going to get more ear drops and she has relegated herself into various hiding places, she's shaking and super anxious! anyone got any ideas on how to setlle her anxiety without using sedatives? There's only 5 days to go and I don't want to have to sedate her unnecessarily.

Jodie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : 8 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help for super anxious staffy Empty Re: Help for super anxious staffy

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07 2012, 10:04

Hi Jodie and welcome to the forum, sorry but your profile doesn't say where you live or anything about your dog so I can only guess. I post the link to pets at home as i suppose you want it now , we have 1 for Tilly which we have used in the past and quite a few other members have had good success.

Thundershirt ????

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/thundershirt-the-best-solution-for-dog-anxiety-56451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07 2012, 10:06

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Oh, dear, poor girl. Sad It's amazing how many staffords hate having drops in their ears.

It's been a long time since I've used ear drops & even then it was with a placid dog that didn't give a hoot what I did to him so I can't be of much help to you. There are several members here who have been through this recently, though & I'm sure one will be on soon to give you some help.

Just a thought, have you tried doing it while you're out on a walk?

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jun 07 2012, 10:14

Hi & Help for super anxious staffy Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Help for super anxious staffy Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Help for super anxious staffy Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Help for super anxious staffy Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Help for super anxious staffy Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Help for super anxious staffy Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Help for super anxious staffy Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07 2012, 11:04

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. We usually wait until she is asleep after exercise before using drops. It's over before she knows it and doesn't see us coming.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jodie Thu Jun 07 2012, 11:10

Thanks for everyone's advice :-)
she's a pretty anxious girl by nature and even if she's asleep always has to know what's going on. The vet even referred to her as "challenging" when he tried the other day. She's ok with the actual act of putting the drops in, I don't have to hold her down or anything like that.
I've put her winter coat on and she seems to have settled a little, she's at least in the same room as us now!

Jodie

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07 2012, 11:11

Have you thought about a Thunder Shirt? It might help with everyday anxiety, and could make it a little easier to get the drops in!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jodie Thu Jun 07 2012, 11:23

I've never seen the thunder shirt before now - I think it's something worthwhile considering for her.

Jodie

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07 2012, 11:27

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=thunder+shirts+

Vanessa, one of the mods here, uses one for her elderly staff, Jethro. He's had high anxiety levels all his life, and since she started using one of these on him he has calmed down quite significantly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jodie Thu Jun 07 2012, 11:31

I'll definitely check them out, thanks so much :-)

Jodie

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content