lolabon
jola139
stella
Kathy
13 posters

Go down

Another Child Attacked Empty Another Child Attacked

Post by Kathy Mon Jun 04 2012, 09:03

A two year old child attacked in Swindon by two dogs believed to be Staffys although not yet confirmed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-18320701

Last edited by kathytake2 on Mon Jun 04 2012, 09:11; edited 1 time in total
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Another Child Attacked Empty Re: Another Child Attacked

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04 2012, 09:10

Believed to be staffs? Bet they're not. Poor little boy, I really hope he recovers soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jun 04 2012, 09:12

I really do wish they would get all the facts correct before going to press.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04 2012, 09:26

they should not be allowed to say such phrases and get their facts right it may wellbe true but at this point it may well be 2 poodles angry

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Jun 04 2012, 10:00

I dont want to s ,hope the little boy is going to be ok,why cant the press do their job and print the facts not what might be's angry
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Mon Jun 04 2012, 10:26

poor boy Sad ,why they can't check first and them print ? I'm not saying who's fault it was because there is no details but where were the responsible paarents. of course it's a dog's fault- it's easier to say it this way at wits end
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Mon Jun 04 2012, 10:31

and on the pic it doesn't look like staffy to me confused
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04 2012, 11:42

I haven't seen any pics of the dog involved, but it does sound like it was staff or staff cross. Sad

Poor little boy, I hope he's ok.

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Mon Jun 04 2012, 13:04

I ment the pic they put with the article. I hope is ok too
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lolabon Mon Jun 04 2012, 13:56

how awful,i was talking to someone the other day about my dogs as they didn't like the breed so i chatted with them about the breed and my dogs and what it's like to live with them they were surprised at how different they actually are than what is printed and left with a changed opinion but not after asking this "if they are known as a nanny dog and are child friendly and would protect a child,what makes them lose that inner instinct and attack a child?" as most attacks are on children,for this i don't have an answer.
lolabon
lolabon
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : lola,bonnie
Dog(s) Ages : 4 years, 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : female princess
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Another Child Attacked Empty Updated post

Post by Kathy Mon Jun 04 2012, 13:57

An update on this article link below. It was apparently only one dog that attacked the child, the other was not involved in the incident.:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-18320701
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04 2012, 16:27

Just a side note. When a dog is ill/old & beyond help we say that it has been 'put to sleep'. When there's an attack, we say it's been 'destroyed'. I wonder why the difference?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04 2012, 19:41

Poor dog so sad. Dogs dont attack unless provoked or encouraged by owner, hate to think of a dog being destroyed x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04 2012, 20:10

Have seen this on another forum, from what i have read there are two parties at fault parents and dog owner, there are two innocents here the child and dog.

What really annoys me about these stories is the fact that they only seemn too say the breed when they think its a staff/staffx/rotty etc now breed has nothing too do with it there all dogs regardless of breeds and all have the capabilities too hurt someone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Mon Jun 04 2012, 23:32

Sky news article now reads Staffordshire Bull Terrier type dog.

I was so sad to hear about the child and wish him nothing but the best and a speedy recovery.
I am gutted the press have used this as another excuse
to bash the breed.

How long before our beloved staffs end up like banned like pitbulls?

Irene

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zac
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Tue Jun 05 2012, 09:21

They won't be banned. The government knows BSL is a waste of time. There isn't any kind of legislation that I can think of that will stop this kind of thing happening but thankfully it's very rare. Just sad how the media jump on it but that is because it is rare. The amount of children seriously hurt or killed by carers or by cars is sadly much much higher and too common to create sensationalist articles out of Sad

The poor, poor boy and the poor dog. Both let down by people. I hope the boy makes as full a recovery as possible.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Tue Jun 05 2012, 11:11

We feel sorry for the parents and the child, but in one paper it's reported that the child "wandered into the dogs garden", if this is true why was a child so young out on it's own?
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05 2012, 11:16

Just found this story in the Sun ( Sad ) Hate to stereotype, but one look at the owner rings alarm bells. They then go on to say that apparently a policeman was bit by what they think was the same dog at the property last year , despite being tasered. If this is true then surely this should have been dealt with by the police last year or awareness raised. Daresay emotions are extremely high at this point and more stuff will come out over the next few days.
If these are the facts then it is right that the dog was PTS , if it was an adult on the property then I would argue the case but normally dogs can acknowledge a child and act accordingly , this was not the case so the dog obviously had the agression in him from somewhere.
What I don't appreciate is The Sun's clearly photoshopped picture showing 2 dogs that clearly are not Staffies angry

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4355064/This-man-Garfield-King-saw-his-devil-Staffordshire-bull-terrier-dog-maim-toddler-Keiron-Guess-then-blamed-lads-parents.html

Back to top Go down

Another Child Attacked Empty another bad day for staffys

Post by richyboy111 Tue Jun 05 2012, 12:13

all because people dont bring them up right
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/swindon-dog-attack-staffordshire-bull-862558

Post moved to Staffy News

Last edited by kathytake2 on Tue Jun 05 2012, 18:34; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : moved post to Staffy News)

richyboy111

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blake
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05 2012, 12:18

Unfortunately , yes. We are already discussing this on another post , you can find it here if you want to look into what has been said already Smile

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t19462-another-child-attacked

Back to top Go down

Post by roz w Tue Jun 05 2012, 12:48

the owner is not going to be prosecuted as they know that legally it was not his fault as the incident happened on his property , but what about the parents surely they should have some ticking off for allowing a child to wander off , the poor little boy is gonna be scarred for life because someone somewhere has been irresponsible, why did the owner not have a more secure back garden? , but yes the sun news paper is gonna be on its crusade again,
roz w
roz w
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Another Child Attacked Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Trouble
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05 2012, 12:54

roz w wrote:the owner is not going to be prosecuted as they know that legally it was not his fault as the incident happened on his property , but what about the parents surely they should have some ticking off for allowing a child to wander off , the poor little boy is gonna be scarred for life because someone somewhere has been irresponsible, why did the owner not have a more secure back garden? , but yes the sun news paper is gonna be on its crusade again,

Have I missed something about the secure back garden bit , sorry but not been watching TV over the last few days so maybe don't know all the facts

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Tue Jun 05 2012, 13:22

I feel sorry for the little boy, and I hope that he recovers soon, as much as he can anyway Sad Everyone is blaming the dogs/owner, which I agree with to a point, the garden should've been more secure - but what about the childs parents? I know it is hard to keep an eye on them 24/7 (I have two of my own) but he souldve been somewhere where he could not wonder off on his own. What if he had been hit by a car? Then everyone would be blaming the parents! Much easier to blame a staffy though Sad
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05 2012, 14:03

i dont think they look like staffys tbh,

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Tue Jun 05 2012, 14:31

How on earth can a 2 year old child be allowed to wander and get into a neighbours garden! I wish the lad a speedy recovery but where were his parents/grandparents?

Children have no fear I have had 3 or 4 under 4yr old kids run at Ledger and go to grab his ears or tail in the last couple of weeks with two of them having no words of warning from their parents who seemed to think it was cute and funny! Luckily he has been on lead (flexi) and is not too fussed, he ignores their advances and comes back to me when called but alot of dogs of all shapes and sizes would snap. But you try telling a parent what they should or shouldn't be doing with their child!
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05 2012, 14:38

Equi wrote:i dont think they look like staffys tbh,

Me neither but is this the actual dogs for definite , the pic in the Sun with the dog jumping mid air looked like a bad photoshop, and they look way too long in the leg to be staffs.
It says somewhere in there about the police being bitten in a "raid last year" What was the raid for . I'm probably going to get stoned for saying this but looking at the owner then I would say the raid was for drugs. Do we potentially have a situation here with a possible drug dealer that maybe had the dogs to protect his business or am i putting 2 and 2 together and making 1000 ??? thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by roz w Tue Jun 05 2012, 18:11

davemck3834 wrote:
roz w wrote:the owner is not going to be prosecuted as they know that legally it was not his fault as the incident happened on his property , but what about the parents surely they should have some ticking off for allowing a child to wander off , the poor little boy is gonna be scarred for life because someone somewhere has been irresponsible, why did the owner not have a more secure back garden? , but yes the sun news paper is gonna be on its crusade again,

Have I missed something about the secure back garden bit , sorry but not been watching TV over the last few days so maybe don't know all the facts

no i read that child had gone down the alleyway and into the dogs back garden whether it is true or not but somehow someone is at fault for allowing the dog and child to meet so for the dog to get to the child the garden couldnt have been secure either easy for a small child to get into or a hole for the dog to get out ,

as a mother i know u have to watch a child of 2 constantly and while i do agree the dog must have been badly trained and apparently it had bitten before i cant help but think that the parents have to take some responsibility as well as the dog owner ...but hey i am hoping they can sort the little one out the best they can
roz w
roz w

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by roz w Tue Jun 05 2012, 18:12

davemck3834 wrote:
Equi wrote:i dont think they look like staffys tbh,

Me neither but is this the actual dogs for definite , the pic in the Sun with the dog jumping mid air looked like a bad photoshop, and they look way too long in the leg to be staffs.
It says somewhere in there about the police being bitten in a "raid last year" What was the raid for . I'm probably going to get stoned for saying this but looking at the owner then I would say the raid was for drugs. Do we potentially have a situation here with a possible drug dealer that maybe had the dogs to protect his business or am i putting 2 and 2 together and making 1000 ??? thinking

i think u possibly could be on the right track
roz w
roz w

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Tue Jun 05 2012, 21:33

this post link gives the full story. I think it's an awfull thing to happen, poor little boy. It could have as always been any breed but what bothers me most is why was a little boy of 2 playing in an alleyway unsupervised?? angry
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Another Child Attacked Empty Who's responsible?

Post by hedgewitch Thu Jun 07 2012, 21:41

What I should like to know is, why was a two year old boy playing in an alley on his own and why were two dogs allowed out in a garden on their own when it obviously was not a secure garden. Unfortunately the dog always gets the blame! As horrific as this tragedy is, and my heart goes out to all concerned especially the little boy, the responsibility is on the parents for allowing such a small boy to be out on his own and the person in charge of the dogs. I would never allow either of my 3 year old grandchildren out of my sight outside of the house and I certainly do not leave my dogs unsupervised in my garden even though it is a secure one. As much as I love my dogs I realise that they are animals who will act instinctively and you can never know what goes on in a dogs head. This tragic thing happened because both the parents of the small boy and the dogs owner were behaving irresponsibly.

Jenny, Amber & Romeo xxx
hedgewitch
hedgewitch
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Amber and Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : Amber 9 Romeo 1
Dog Gender(s) : Amber female Romeo male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 07 2012, 21:49

Jenny, I'm afraid you're right. It was a tragic accident, with horrific repercussions. Unfortunately it's yet another nail in the coffin for staffords & responsible owners. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down