Trip to the Vet

4 posters

Go down

Trip to the Vet Empty Trip to the Vet

Post by Jamsax Fri May 25 2012, 17:59

I took marley to the vet this afternoon because she was having some difficulty with number 2's and i noticed some blood in her creation at lunch time. Marley had a raw bone from the butchers yesterday and the vet said that because they eat them so fast it can easily create a blockage when passing through. I got talking to her and she advised against feeding raw bones and also strongly advised against the nylabone i bought her two days ago! The vet said that they can cause stress fractures in the molars and actually that staffy's having such strong jaws only makes it worse because they bite down so hard.

I have come away with a free bag of dentasticks and sadly marley is going to have to give up her butchers treats as well as her nylabone. She's not looking very impressed at being violated and then her favourite bone taken away and the dentastick lasted about 3 seconds! Laughing

Jamsax
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Trip to the Vet Empty Re: Trip to the Vet

Post by janey Fri May 25 2012, 18:15

Pleased all was ok, a lot of owners feed raw here which includes bones, maybe it was the type you fed and some vets have conflicting opinions.

Yes denta sticks don't last very long lol Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamsax Fri May 25 2012, 21:17

She did say that other vets would have different opinions and i'm still not sure marley wont have her nylabone back because she loves it. Got to keep an eye on her but i think she's fine to be honest. no problems on tonights walk. i have only had her for a week and i might be being a bit over cautious. i have had dogs all my life but never a staffy and i feel like i need to watch her more because she has no concept of her own safety!!!!

Jamsax

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri May 25 2012, 21:22

I don't feed bones myself, not my cup of tea, but feeding bones is great for them though, sorry to go against the vet but they have to be the right ones, that I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue about.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri May 25 2012, 21:24

So far as the nylabones go we only let Rocky have his for a certain amount of time as we have noticed that he does sometimes catch his gums on them and makes himself bleed in the mouth, he now only has it for about 5 mins at a time.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamsax Fri May 25 2012, 21:35

Well im not feeding bones from the butchers anymore because this is the second vet trip i have had due to them (the first alot more traumatic!) but each to their own. i think i will alow supervised nylabone munching though.

Jamsax

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26 2012, 00:38

Jamsax wrote: Marley had a raw bone from the butchers yesterday and the vet said that because they eat them so fast it can easily create a blockage when passing through. I got talking to her and she advised against feeding raw bones and also strongly advised against the nylabone i bought her two days ago! The vet said that they can cause stress fractures in the molars and actually that staffy's having such strong jaws only makes it worse because they bite down so hard.

I'm surprised at a vet saying this. I know not all of them like the raw diet, but most know that this simply isn't true. The big marrow bones can be a bit too rich for some dogs & I've heard of some chipping a tooth with them, but bones such as raw chicken wings/carcasses or lamb spines/ribs are very easily digested & in the right quantity won't cause a problem.

Jamsax wrote:Well im not feeding bones from the butchers anymore because this is the second vet trip i have had due to them (the first alot more traumatic!) but each to their own. i think i will alow supervised nylabone munching though.

What happened the first time?

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Sat May 26 2012, 00:55

marley has the thick calcium bones from wilkinsons, they last ages and because of the thickness he can't chomp down on it hard
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26 2012, 11:41

We are fortunate here to get ostritch bones which are huge. (Shin bones) They are also porous and relatively soft. Tyson can gnaw on them for ages. Just alittle messy though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26 2012, 16:54

steve76 wrote:marley has the thick calcium bones from wilkinsons, they last ages and because of the thickness he can't chomp down on it hard

I would advise against these, as I feel that they are dangerous. Someone on another forum (GSD) recently wrote about a dog that died because one of these bones splintered. When all is said & done they are cooked bones, and cooked bones shouldn't be given to dogs.

"Hello I hope u dont mind me posting my story on here but I need to warn people of what can happen, 3 days ago a `tasty ham bone` was bought out of the pet section in wilkos for my dog, this bone splintered and he had to have an operation to remove all the splinters, because it had compacted in his intestine his body had become very weak so they had to build him up before they operated, the op luckily went well but he had a cardiac arrest 24 hrs later, before this he was a lovable healthy 8 year old dog, we lost him for no reason, wilkos have been informed, there answer to this is there is a small print note saying to supervise your dog when he eats it cos it may fragment, they still continue to sell it, not all of there bones carry warnings and having spoke to other people I have since found there are problems with a few of there bones and treats, I gave my dog his bone in good faith it was safe as bought as a proper dog treat.

THANK YOU FOR READING.... FEEL FREE TO SHARE.... x x x
"

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down