Update: (Distichiasis Diathermy) Swollen and red eyes

5 posters

Go down

Update: (Distichiasis Diathermy) Swollen and red eyes Empty Update: (Distichiasis Diathermy) Swollen and red eyes

Post by Gee Sat May 12 2012, 08:54

Poor Troy, I think he is having an allergic reaction.

Yesterday I noticed after his walk that his left eye was red and had swollen. I cleaned it with some warm water and gave him a antihistamine and it looked a lot better this morning.

Just been out on a walk with him and it looked as if it was watering clear fluid. It has swollen again and is red but looks like the righ eye is a little swollen now too which makes me think it could be an allergy to grass / pollen?

He I have not seen his eyes flare up like this before though he did have an eye infection when I got him. We'll see what the get says because if it is another eye infection I read there are other conditions which can cause them to reoccur.

If it is an allergy, what can I safely use rather than whatever expensive product they get will probably give me? I read the antihistamines we use are safe for dogs? Gave him one yesterday..

Ta.

Last edited by Gee on Sat May 12 2012, 11:58; edited 1 time in total

Gee
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Update: (Distichiasis Diathermy) Swollen and red eyes Empty Re: Update: (Distichiasis Diathermy) Swollen and red eyes

Post by janey Sat May 12 2012, 11:50

You can usr piriton if it is a reaction.

Have you looked around the eye as he could have a grass seed lodged in there. TBH I would always go to the vets when it comes to eyes as you can be too carefull.

I hope you get it sorted and do let us know Xx

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Update: (Distichiasis Diathermy) Swollen and red eyes Empty Re: Update: (Distichiasis Diathermy) Swollen and red eyes

Post by Gee Sat May 12 2012, 11:56

Been to the vets, turns out it is Distichiasis Diathermy and is going to cost £532..

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat May 12 2012, 11:57

OMG, I haven't a clue what that is, off to google. Is he insured??
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Sat May 12 2012, 12:01

They said he has some eye lashes growing inside is eye basically inwards so is irritating his eye ball and causing the redness and infection.

They can remove the eyelashes via an operation. I have insurance, the cost will be £70 + 10% excess if the claim is accepted. Still money I don't have, not had much luck with Troy financially.

Can't think about it right now just gonan eat a takeaway and watch F1..

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat May 12 2012, 14:51

Wow Gee thank goodness you did have the insurance, you've really not had much luck so far have you??

Still you do have to pay the excess as you say, could of been a lot worse.

Ask your vet if you could pay by installments. I think I heard somewhere that some do allow you to pay this way.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Sat May 12 2012, 18:05

Well I almost have the money and will borrow a little bit, but out of the window goes my home improvements I had planned.

I am going to pay upfront and then claim off the insurance. I was thinking though, is it worth ringing around to see if others vets can do the procedure cheaper? Or would I end up having to pay for a consultation for him for them to look anyway?

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat May 12 2012, 19:34

Always worth ringing round IMO

My original vet charged double the amount of what my current vet does.

Good luck with it all, also I have found second opinions good too, my original vet cost a flipping fortune.

£89 for advocate and some ear drops was 1 bill ! Lol
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Sat May 12 2012, 19:47

I'm just worried about having to pay for a consultation / second opinion and then he operation on top anyway. Really dont have money to throw around.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 13 2012, 00:51

If you ask for a second opinion you'll have to pay a consultation fee, but this might be covered by insurance as long as you clear it with the insurance company first. Although the amount sounds a lot, it's an intricate proceedure & involves some very detailed work on a delicate area. Tbh the amount sounds about right.

Distichiasis Diathermy - I can't even spell it, let alone say it! I had to copy & paste it from your first post! Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Sun May 13 2012, 09:57

Yeah.

The op it self is around £220 but it's every thing else that tots the bill up. They even charge you for the use of latex gloves :\

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 13 2012, 12:45

They charge you for everything. Usually the main expense, though, is the anaesthetic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun May 13 2012, 14:22

some dogs are like that in my sam first year i spend around £2000 plus on him it just one of the risk you take when you get a pup,

my xena had a op on her leg and she was only on the op table for 15 mins and cost me £300 Straight Face

my old sam and billy only bills i had for them was getting the spade

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon May 14 2012, 13:34

Well he is getting it done tomorrow and I am not paying a penny YET. I am submitting through my pet insurance directly to the vet and my excess is £70 + 10%.

Most of that the vet said will be from the consultation so hopefully in the end this won't cost me too much!

Keep your fingers crossed for me and Troy!

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon May 14 2012, 14:49

We have our paws and fingers crossed for you both, good luck tomorrow.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 14 2012, 15:24

Hope it goes well tomorrow!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down