first walk

5 posters

Go down

first walk Empty first walk

Post by goldie87 Tue May 08 2012, 11:04

i took zeus out for his first walk on saturday and he was scared stiff. he didnt even move, just shaked constantly. prior to this, ive been picking him up and taking him around my area to familiarise himself with the area, which i thought might help. i took him again on sunday and monday, the same thing. he didn't even want to have his treats, which he loves. whats the best way to deal with this? he also HATES his lead, once its on, hes jumping, backflipping, doing anything he can to take it off, which i think might be part of the problem?
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

first walk Empty Re: first walk

Post by Kathy Tue May 08 2012, 11:14

You could try getting him used to the lead gradually by putting it on him when he is just around the house and let him drag it around. Then build this time up by letting him outside in the garden for say 5 minutes at a time with it on to begin with then again build this time up.

Once he is used to the lead he can then go for small walks of about 5 minutes to begin with then again build this time up. Hope this helps you.

Last edited by kathytake2 on Tue May 08 2012, 11:38; edited 1 time in total
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 08 2012, 11:28

In addition to what Kathy said stop carrying him around. He has to learn to explore on his own which will help his confidence. Try to go a little further each day but don't force him into anything let him discover the world at his own pace.

If he is scared don't fuss over him because this will reinforce the idea that there is something to be afraid of.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Tue May 08 2012, 11:48

With Skye I used to sit outside so she could explore on a lead
We live near a school so at home time she used to get so much fuss then we would walk a little way then stop and meet some new people
With buster as he was a bit older we would again sit outside with him but walks were easier as Skye would help move him along
They both love going out although buster still finds fast cars and lorries very scary but we ignore him and keep going
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue May 08 2012, 14:29

kathytake2 wrote:You could try getting him used to the lead gradually by putting it on him when he is just around the house and let him drag it around. Then build this time up by letting him outside in the garden for say 5 minutes at a time with it on to begin with then again build this time up.

Once he is used to the lead he can then go for small walks of about 5 minutes to begin with then again build this time up. Hope this helps you.

jstaff wrote:In addition to what Kathy said stop carrying him around. He has to learn to explore on his own which will help his confidence. Try to go a little further each day but don't force him into anything let him discover the world at his own pace.

If he is scared don't fuss over him because this will reinforce the idea that there is something to be afraid of.

Gazagem wrote:With Skye I used to sit outside so she could explore on a lead
We live near a school so at home time she used to get so much fuss then we would walk a little way then stop and meet some new people
With buster as he was a bit older we would again sit outside with him but walks were easier as Skye would help move him along
They both love going out although buster still finds fast cars and lorries very scary but we ignore him and keep going

thanks everyone, i will try these methods and keep you updated on the progress!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 08 2012, 23:26

Best of luck

Back to top Go down

Post by aussiesgirl Fri May 11 2012, 06:49

I had this with Hollie today putting on lead and harness was fine going out front gate and up theroad but as soon as a big van or car came past she would stop still and not move, tail between her legs ,i did have to carry her as was picking my son up from school lol x
aussiesgirl
aussiesgirl
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Hollie
Dog(s) Ages : 27 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by becki2009 Fri May 11 2012, 08:29

im exactly the same! wont take to any treats..and she backs up into small enclosed spaces...and pulls backwards arhhh!
becki2009
becki2009
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sky
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Fri May 18 2012, 15:09

zeus now loves his walks! i think the problem was the lead that i had.. it was a short one and there was no room for manouver for him. i went and got the retractable type and ever since ive had that, he loves his walks. it gives him the freedom to explore as he wants, and gives me the piece of mind that i can stop him when he goes somewhere he shouldnt! as soon as i get the lead out now, he runs to the garden gate knowing hes going out!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 16:52

goldie87 wrote:zeus now loves his walks! i think the problem was the lead that i had.. it was a short one and there was no room for manouver for him. i went and got the retractable type and ever since ive had that, he loves his walks. it gives him the freedom to explore as he wants, and gives me the piece of mind that i can stop him when he goes somewhere he shouldnt! as soon as i get the lead out now, he runs to the garden gate knowing hes going out!

Great news Smile It's so satisfying when you have won them over and they realise it's not so scatry out there, Tilly was a nightmare to start off ,it was 2 steps , down , drag a little, pick her up as she was shaking , carry her home and then one day pow ..no stopping her

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down