Maggie- May getting excited when its bed time help!!!

3 posters

Go down

Maggie- May getting excited when its bed time help!!! Empty Maggie- May getting excited when its bed time help!!!

Post by EmLou28 Tue May 01 2012, 23:38

Hi Guys me again needing more help Smile Maggie- May seems to be settling in ok but I'm having a real problem with her at bed time. I walk her for half an hour just before bed time and when we get back she wants to play. I dont understand as when she goes out other times during the day she gets home and flops in her bed and sleeps. I walk her at 6am for an hour and a half before work she then gets another walk at lunch time for about 40 mins and then another hour and half in the evening when I get home. I take her for a half an hour walk before bed so she can do her business but when we get home she decides its time to play. My partner plays with her as soon as he gets home and she isnt locked away in cage during the day so she can play as she has plenty of toys (that she hasnt managed to wreck in about 10 mins of having them Smile ) to keep her entertained while we arent here. So what am I doing wrong? Should I stop her last walk of the night, I dont really want to as it seems to stop her messing in the house over night. Another thing I do sit with her after shes been out for about half an hour and have a cup of tea, is this making her think its ok to be excitable and want to jump around? I'm really lost Sad Any help given would be great as I want the best for Maggie- May, oh and shes still not getting on with Jake but we will perservie with that one Smile
P.S My partner or I walk Maggie at about 6pm so by the time they get back theres a break of only 2 and a half hours before she goes out for the last walk of the day.
EmLou28
EmLou28
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie- May
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Maggie- May getting excited when its bed time help!!! Empty Re: Maggie- May getting excited when its bed time help!!!

Post by Guest Tue May 01 2012, 23:42

Well I certainly don't think walking is the problem , it's a wonder she has any legs left Smile Is there nothing else different in your routine when you return other than the cup of tea

Back to top Go down

Maggie- May getting excited when its bed time help!!! Empty Re: Maggie- May getting excited when its bed time help!!!

Post by Guest Tue May 01 2012, 23:46

I don't think walking is the issue either, although Suki will sometimes get really excited and have a mad few minutes after a walk as well. Where does she sleep at night? It could be that she knows her day is over and trying to make it last a little longer.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue May 01 2012, 23:54

From my own experience Moo is walked twice whilst I am at work also a short walk morning and evening by me and all day when I am off, and she will still get her toys out when I get home lol.

They just love the attention and need the fuss love and stimulation. Try playing mind games, hide and seek, if she still persists to gain attention I would be inclined to ignore it, harsh but they do learn Smile

janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by EmLou28 Tue May 01 2012, 23:58

Well she is currently now passed out on the sofa next to me (which my partner hates but I'm like if it keeps her quiet and shes on the throw whats the issue Smile ) but she has a basket with a dog bed in the living room and we have a crate for her with a big duvet in it in the other room. I dont lock her in the crate I just got one because a lot of people on here say its good to have something like a den for the dog to go to.
I'm so pleased people think I'm walking her enough I was really worried that because I leave her during the day to go to work she wasn't going to get out enough. I also come home at lunch time because I worry about her.
No I dont really do anything different other then make my partners pack lunch and have a cuppa, but thinking bout it (because we are having issues with Maggie and the cat Jake at the moment) Jake does try to come in through the back door around the time we get back from the walk. At the moment his food and litter tray are in my upstairs bathroom and he is using the window to come and go. But maybe the fact he is trying to come in when we get home is making her excited. I think I'm going to have to sort something out there.
EmLou28
EmLou28

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 00:00

That could very well be a contributing factor.

Back to top Go down

Post by EmLou28 Wed May 02 2012, 00:11

Yeah thats what Im now thinking too. Its hard beause I dont want Jake to feel pushed out yet I dont want it to wind Maggie up before bed. I'll just have to see what i can do differently. Anyway I better go to bed as Im up in 6 hours but will check on here in the morning to see if anyone has anymore ideas. Oh and another thing before I go like I said Maggie has toys to play with while I'm away but is there anything else I can do to stop her getting bored? I'v read on here to give toys that has treats put in them which I have one of but I have also read about putting peanut butter in to them then freezing them is that correct? And is peanut butter safe for dogs? Smile Well anyway off to bed night guys and thanks for all the help so far this site has helped me no end Smile
EmLou28
EmLou28

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed May 02 2012, 00:15

Kongs, you can stuff and freeze them. Not used them myself but heard great things Smile

Night Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 09:43

Yes, peanut butter in a kong & then frozen keeps them occupied for quite a while. Make sure that there's fresh water available though as the peanut butter is a bit salty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Wed May 02 2012, 11:07

Caryll wrote:Yes, peanut butter in a kong & then frozen keeps them occupied for quite a while. Make sure that there's fresh water available though as the peanut butter is a bit salty.

Do you fill the whole thing with peanut butter or just smear it around?

Buster also gets hyper after his last walk, but when we go up to bed he has now learnt he has a quick cuddle then he has to go to bed so he normally calms down quick. I don't know why he does it after his last walk because he doesn't do it after any other (unless he comes in wet, then he goes nuts! lol)
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Maggie- May getting excited when its bed time help!!! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by EmLou28 Wed May 02 2012, 22:46

Pleased I'm not the only one it happens to then Smile Maybe she doesnt want the day to end so plays up to get that final bit of attention Big Grin Iv now decided to stop the cat from coming into contact with Maggie just before bed as that seems to be a big factor in getting her excited before bed. Anyway thanks for the advice going to go buy a kong and some peanut butter tomorrow and see how well that goes down Smile night guys Smile
EmLou28
EmLou28

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed May 02 2012, 22:50

They all find a routine eventually Smile Off on my hol up your way next week Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down