Puppy climbing on other dogs heads

Go down

Puppy climbing on other dogs heads Empty Puppy climbing on other dogs heads

Post by Spaldingstaffies Thu Dec 16 2010, 11:45

Hello,

Two questions in one really if you can help me answer them thinking

We have a 16 week old male staffy and everytime he meets another dog, regardless of size and age ect the first thing he tries to do is to climb on their heads. Maybe he's not actually trying to climb on top of their heads but thats how it seems, both paws sretched straight on top of the dogs head and then motions to pull his body up.

How should i react to this behaviour? I know that if another dog becomes stressed by it then they will 'firmly 'n' fairly' put him in his place, but no dogs have done that yet, they all just seem to stand and allow it so there doesn't seem to be any real problem but should I be allowing him to continue or should I be working to encourage a different approach and if so how?

second part of the question if anybody could tell me please is why does he do it? I understand about dogs licking faces but he does the 'trying to climb on their head' behaviour even if the dog is a breed the same size as him, so I could understand him wanting to lick them but in that situation where height isn't a restriction I can't understand the need to try and get his whole body on top of their head?

Many thanks if you can help
Spaldingstaffies
Spaldingstaffies
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Finn
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy climbing on other dogs heads Empty Re: Puppy climbing on other dogs heads

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16 2010, 11:48

It sounds like it's just his way of playing! Maybe that's the way he played with his mother/siblings?

I'd try to discourage it if I were you, because if it becomes a habit, sooner or later a dog will object & you'll have a fight on your hands! Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16 2010, 11:52

I think its a puppy thing! Like u said ideally you would like a nice friendly dog to tell him off so he learns some manners.....I would say yes correct the behaviour. Maybe tell him to sit as dogs approach so he says calm , let him greet the dog but the second his paws leave the ground gentle pull him away and say AH AH or NO and make him sit again, then just keep repeating the process he will soon learn if he wants to say hello he will have to keep all 4 paws on the ground! As to why he does it i dont have the fainest idea, but to be fair why do they do alot of things lol!
x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16 2010, 11:54

blaze666 (Thu 16 Dec 2010 - 11:52) wrote:As to why he does it i dont have the fainest idea, but to be fair why do they do alot of things lol!
x

Why indeed! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16 2010, 11:56

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaldingstaffies Thu Dec 16 2010, 12:05

That's great, thank you both thumbs up

I'll discourage it from now on then, I'm glad that's the answer as it can be awkward standing there with him doing it and not knowing for sure what's right as the other owner laughs nervously lol I dont want to s
Spaldingstaffies
Spaldingstaffies

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Finn
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16 2010, 13:28

Just be gentle but firm, as blaze says - make him sit & say hello nicely & he'll soon get it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16 2010, 16:36

ye memphis did it all the time but i discuraged it as he had a couple of dogs that growled at him to be told by the owners its a domanance thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16 2010, 18:28

Wondered why Milly trys that with Lady now I no we do stop her tho

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16 2010, 20:07

bigwazza wrote:ye memphis did it all the time but i discuraged it as he had a couple of dogs that growled at him to be told by the owners its a domanance thing.

In a pup, it's pure play. In an older dog it's dominance, certainly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 16 2010, 21:12

Spaldingstaffies wrote:Hello,

Two questions in one really if you can help me answer them thinking

We have a 16 week old male staffy and everytime he meets another dog, regardless of size and age ect the first thing he tries to do is to climb on their heads. Maybe he's not actually trying to climb on top of their heads but thats how it seems, both paws sretched straight on top of the dogs head and then motions to pull his body up.

How should i react to this behaviour? I know that if another dog becomes stressed by it then they will 'firmly 'n' fairly' put him in his place, but no dogs have done that yet, they all just seem to stand and allow it so there doesn't seem to be any real problem but should I be allowing him to continue or should I be working to encourage a different approach and if so how?

second part of the question if anybody could tell me please is why does he do it? I understand about dogs licking faces but he does the 'trying to climb on their head' behaviour even if the dog is a breed the same size as him, so I could understand him wanting to lick them but in that situation where height isn't a restriction I can't understand the need to try and get his whole body on top of their head?

Many thanks if you can help

Hi & Puppy climbing on other dogs heads Welcome

Welcome to the staffodshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Puppy climbing on other dogs heads Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Puppy climbing on other dogs heads Icon_arrow Here are a list of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Puppy climbing on other dogs heads Icon_arrow You can ask for help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Puppy climbing on other dogs heads Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Puppy climbing on other dogs heads Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down