+3
eogh
janey
amber_1992
7 posters

Go down

Puppy's here! Empty Puppy's here!

Post by amber_1992 Tue Apr 24 2012, 10:29

so, our new puppy is home and we are totally and completely 100% in love with him. we decided to call him Vinny.
i am so over the moon with him, and i understand what puppy's can be like with chewing and biting and such but other people are being so negative towards him which is really upsetting me. we had him at the vets last week and the vet (who is usually a very lovely woman) said quite frankly that he was a "monster" and couldn't believe how wild he was.
i am being quite vigilant with him when he chews or bites, ignoring him yelping and sometimes a small tap on the nose if he bites really hard, and i know it will take time and patience for him to learn but other people don't seem to think so. some friends and family members have even said that he has a bad nature. he only seems to bite my dad and my siblings, only very rarely when im playing with him will he bite me and even then he doesn't seem to bite me as hard as he does with others, is this because he knows that i am his master? how long does it usually take for a puppy to grow out of this kind of behavior? its starting to get to me, sometimes i feel like we spend more time telling him he is a naughty boy rather than playing and enjoying him. Sad
amber_1992
amber_1992
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinny
Dog(s) Ages : 6months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy's here! Empty Re: Puppy's here!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24 2012, 10:39

hello and welcome to the forum love your avi
there no set time it takes before your pup will stop biting the main thing is to be consistent and don't forget to check every time as even letting it go the odd time will set you right back .
only thing i will say is don't tap him on the nose as there super sensitive and also with it being there nose they can see it coming and can cause them to snap when they think someone going to do it to them .
best thing to do is just move them away and turn and give them no interaction they will some learn nipping/biting =no attention

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 24 2012, 10:42

You'll get bored of your own voice training a pup but as long as you and everyone else in the house sticks to the training rules he'll catch on, he is only 9 weeks remember and it won't happen overnight.

Be patient and firm, if he gets hyper remove him from the room, have you thought about crating? Sometimes it can be a really handy method for a safe place for pup and time out for you. He'll get there Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by eogh Tue Apr 24 2012, 10:50

My puppy penny was very bad for biting when I got her first but if u do as bigwazza says ull be fine. It just takes time penny is almost 5 months and she has stop biting. It is very important that u get everyone to do the same as he'll learn very quickly if no one give him anyattention if if he bites.
eogh
eogh
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mimi and Penny
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years old and 10months
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24 2012, 11:04

As already said really. Just turn around and ignore him when he nips. He is seeking attention and if he consistantly gets the opposite response he will stop doing it

Back to top Go down

Post by linzy Tue Apr 24 2012, 11:06

"No" must be the most used word by puppy owners - 'no biting', 'no jumping', 'no dogs on tables'... It's really frustrating, but it does get better! (either through the pup behaving better, or you just getting used to how bad they are - I think I've just accepted Violet is a pest!).

Also, I would ignore people saying negative things! You're doing your best and people being negative isn't very constructive or encouraging.
linzy
linzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Violet
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24 2012, 11:09

hello and welcome from me and billy, looking forward to seeing lots more pics

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24 2012, 11:09

hello and welcome from me and billy, looking forward to seeing lots more pics

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by amber_1992 Tue Apr 24 2012, 11:21

thank you so much for the engorgement!
i think with so many friends and family giving us different advice and stuff its just gotten too confusing haha.
im going to stick to ignoring him and using "NO" a lot more haha.
we have loads of photos of him, ill be uploading them soon!
amber_1992
amber_1992

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinny
Dog(s) Ages : 6months

Back to top Go down

Post by katrina1987 Tue Apr 24 2012, 17:55

I feel like i am saying NO 24/7 not only to the puppy but to my 2year old for encouraging him! Stick to your guns on NO, trust me we have only had Winston since friday and he is picking it up so quickly, he has to as we have a 5month old playing on his toy matt and can have Winston nibbling his head or hands. Goodluck, share any tips you may learn on your journey please

katrina1987
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Winston (staffy), Lola (parsons terrier)
Dog(s) Ages : Winston 15 weeks and Lola almost 5
Dog Gender(s) : Winston (male) Lola (female)

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Tue Apr 24 2012, 18:13

Just like everyone says on here, Callie hates when we turn away and ignore her, usually runs away and puts her head down and sulks...When she is really bad I pick her up and hold her close and stare her down and then she will nose and lick my face a little, has never bitten me then. Has anyone else tried this?

She just gets too wild to control herself sometimes and then a little chew time in her crate seems to help.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Apr 24 2012, 18:50

hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

As already said above turn away and ignore the bad behaviour, lots of praise when good though too.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down