Is my boy too big?

3 posters

Go down

Is my boy too big? Empty Is my boy too big?

Post by rockypup Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:56

Hi everbody Smile

i got my boy about 3 months ago, he was a give-away that was gonna be sent to the pound if i didnt take him Sad. I was told he was a staffy x pitbull possibly with some blue heeler in him, but he deff acts like a staff lol. He is now 5 months old and from what ive been reading, im starting to doubt his elegid breed...he weighed in this morning at 22.5kg. i dont think hes overweight, hes just very solid, and he has ALOT of loose skin, does this mean he has alot of growing? He used to have a big barrel of a belly, but hes starting to thin out as he grows upwards. I hope the pics will upload, hi again and thanks in advance Smile.

Is my boy too big? 07712

Is my boy too big? 04010

rockypup
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Is my boy too big? Empty Re: Is my boy too big?

Post by janey Wed Apr 18 2012, 09:21

I'm no good with crosses, he is a big but being a cross who knows! You'll love him all the same whatever Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18 2012, 09:24

I'm no good with crosses either but he is gorgeous. Looks so cute in the 2nd pic Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18 2012, 09:54

He is very handsome and looks as if he does have a bit of growing to do

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18 2012, 10:29

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Well, he certainly isn't full staff - but you already know that. I can't see that the cross is either pitbull or blue heeler, either. I'd say more of a hound cross, especially with the colouring & loose skin.

Last edited by Caryll on Wed Apr 18 2012, 11:09; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Apr 18 2012, 10:37

Ps forgot to say hi and welcome from me and Moo Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by rockypup Wed Apr 18 2012, 11:42

Thanks everyone for replies Smile yeh I know a lot of people with pure am-staffs and he looks nothing like them :/ what do u mean hound cross? I thort he more have some rotty in him cos of the colours and his build (muscley but not heaps defined) any ideas of the size he will reach at the rate he's going? Oh his names rocky btw Smile thanks agen everyone

rockypup

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18 2012, 12:22

The only reason I say hound is that he has the colouring (loads of large hound breeds have this colour pattern), the loose skin that most hounds have, and his head has more of a muzzle than I would expect to see with either a pit or a rottie cross.

Back to top Go down

Post by rockypup Wed Apr 18 2012, 12:27

So what's a hound exactly? Which kind of breeds? I suppose it doesn't really matter, I still love him Smile

rockypup

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18 2012, 12:40

The hound group is a large one with many different types in it, but they are all hunting dogs. In Ireland they are often crossed with staffords to make a more effective hunting dog. Here's one with the black & tan markings.....

Is my boy too big? Hound_10

Back to top Go down

Post by rockypup Wed Apr 18 2012, 13:05

Oh yeah that kinda looks like him, I saw his mother an she was definitely at least part staff, and his dad apparently looked like him, but some of the other pups looked like pure staffys...anyway, so as long as he's healthy his large weight is ok? If he is a hound crOSS what size can I expect him to get to based on what he is at the moment?

rockypup

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18 2012, 14:26

I've never taken too much notice of weight as such. I just go by how the pup looks. If he's healthy & lively, has bright eyes and you can feel but not see his ribs, then he's the right weight for his size!

Without knowing what dogs are in his ancestry it's very difficult to know what size he's likely to be, though. Looks like he's going to be a big 'un!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 18 2012, 15:59

He is certainly gorgeous, but personally i don't see much if any staff in him! but i suppose it depends what his cross is!

Back to top Go down

Post by rockypup Thu Apr 19 2012, 07:37

Thanks Caryll, and everyone else Smile sorry for posting a non staffy on here Tongues i love ur bull terrier btw caryll, ive always wanted one, how are they with other dogs?

rockypup

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 19 2012, 12:21

rockypup wrote:Thanks Caryll, and everyone else Smile sorry for posting a non staffy on here Tongues i love ur bull terrier btw caryll, ive always wanted one, how are they with other dogs?

Please stick around - personally I think he probably has some staff in him! Anyway, this is an information site for people who love the breed - you don't necessarily have to have a pure bred one (look at my monster!).

Dempsey's ok with other dogs, but not super friendly. He's very dominant so I have to watch him carefully. There are dogs he'll play with & I know I don't have to worry, but equally there are dogs he cannot abide & I won't let him play with a strange dog before proper introductions are made! Rolling Eyes Great with kids though, although he gets a bit over excited.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 19 2012, 13:53

He looks spitting image of a short haired greater swiss mountain dog x staffy

Back to top Go down

Post by rockypup Fri Apr 20 2012, 16:25

Haha ok I'll make sure I stick around. Yeh I heard they can be a bit like that, rocky's the same he can stand some dogs but if he gets challenged or if he has a bone he can be a bit dodgy...oh well the girlfriend thinks bull terriers are hideous so I spouse I'll never have one lol Tongues

rockypup

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by rockypup Fri Apr 20 2012, 17:23

OMG MissRogue, I just searched greater Swiss mountain hound...almost exactly the same! Even down to the little white tip on his tail and white paws!

rockypup

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 20 2012, 18:02

rockypup wrote:OMG MissRogue, I just searched greater Swiss mountain hound...almost exactly the same! Even down to the little white tip on his tail and white paws!

I thought as much put a staffy in here he may have more prenounced cheeks and may not grow to the full size of the swiss but he is deffinatly of that mix. I am pretty good when it comes to mix's

If it is true then you have an extremely athletic and powerful dog there that is going to need extreme training and exercise. Do a little reading on the breed, they are incredible dogs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Swiss_Mountain_Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Apr 20 2012, 19:00

I think he is a gorgeous looking dog whatever he turns out to be and I'm sure you love him anyway Smile
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by rockypup Sat Apr 21 2012, 01:58

Wow that was a very good read, thanks MissRogue Smile as soon as I saw the picture I was amazed how similar they are! His markings are a bit assymetrical is some spots like his neck, I suppose that may be because of the staffy side? I did see his mum, she was quite small and lean (deff a staffy) and an all over blue and white colour.

Thanks do much for informing me. Yep he's already extremely strong, my girlfriend can no longer walk him due to his strength. He's very boisterous as well lol but what 5 month old isn't! At least I have some sort of idea of his future size now Smile and one main point I saw: eats anything and everything, edible or not...since I just woke up to a half a tennis ball on the floor next to the bed I can only imagine where the other half has gone Tongues

Oh and kathytake2, thanks, he is a little bit cute isn't he Smile and of course I love him, even when he is a little menace!

rockypup

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum