Supposed Purebred staffie with rottweiller markings???

+3
janey
steve76
aycha
7 posters

Go down

Supposed Purebred staffie with rottweiller markings??? Empty Supposed Purebred staffie with rottweiller markings???

Post by aycha Thu Apr 12 2012, 22:21

Hi y'all.
My brother bought this puppy from a 'breeder' and told he was a purebred staffie however I have encountered a lot of debate when I have told people this as he clearly seems to have rottweiller markings. Are there any staffie enthusiasts that could provide me with an answer to this. If he is in fact a genuine pure breed black and tan staffie or a crossbreed with a rotty. Your help is greatly appreciated.

NOTE. I am having some trouble uploading a photo, trying to rectify at the moment.

aycha
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Supposed Purebred staffie with rottweiller markings??? Empty Re: Supposed Purebred staffie with rottweiller markings???

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12 2012, 22:30

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you can get pure bred staffs with black & tan markings, but these markings are not accepted by the kennel club, so the dog could not be shown. I believe that this is because at some point in the breed's development a cross was used with these colour patterns, and it still crops up every so often. The cross was probably a hound rather than a rottie.

Back to top Go down

Supposed Purebred staffie with rottweiller markings??? Empty Re: Supposed Purebred staffie with rottweiller markings???

Post by steve76 Thu Apr 12 2012, 22:36

Hi & Supposed Purebred staffie with rottweiller markings??? Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Supposed Purebred staffie with rottweiller markings??? Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Supposed Purebred staffie with rottweiller markings??? Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Supposed Purebred staffie with rottweiller markings??? Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Supposed Purebred staffie with rottweiller markings??? Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Supposed Purebred staffie with rottweiller markings??? Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Supposed Purebred staffie with rottweiller markings??? Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.
steve76
steve76
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Apr 12 2012, 22:39

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Apr 12 2012, 22:43

Hi and welcome to the forum from rocky and me.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Thu Apr 12 2012, 22:49

Hi from Skye buster and me
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12 2012, 23:16

Welcome! Caryll is correct! We have a couple members with B&T Staffords. In fact, my Saxon had a B&T litter mate. It is not acceptable in the breed standard, so a B&T Stafford can't be shown and shouldn't be bred from, but they are gorgeous and make great pets just like any other color!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13 2012, 00:10

Hi and welcome from us and Suki

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13 2012, 08:14

hello and welcome from me and billy

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13 2012, 11:23

aycha wrote:Hi y'all.
My brother bought this puppy from a 'breeder' and told he was a purebred staffie .

If he got papers (or his parents have) then he's a pure bred

Black and Tan SBT are becomming quite common.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13 2012, 11:27

Hi and welcome from me, Millie and Bella Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Fri Apr 13 2012, 16:15

A lot of the very dark 'black' brindle staffords are infact black & tan underneath the brindle overlay which is why they appear black, the brindle patterning only appears on the tan markings.
Black & tan is rumoured to have come from the machester terrier and is not accepted by the kennel club, possibly because they believed it was a dominate coat colour. Genetically however it isn't, red is dominant over b&t. I'm a big fan of black & tan staffords. The other undesirable colour is liver, which is the same coat colour gene that chocolate labs carry. Big fan of liver too and I do wish the standard would be reviewed to allow them. There are no health problems associated with either colour gene.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Apr 13 2012, 16:17

there are health problems with liver coats thinking i think caryll know the issues with that colour

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Fri Apr 13 2012, 16:35

No that's the Isabella colour which is a dilution of the liver colour, all dilution colors -can- suffer from skin problems. The liver or chocolate shade itself isn't a dilution.
Isabella is a colour commonly seen in Weimaraner.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13 2012, 16:40

Hi and welcome from me and Tilly Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 14 2012, 00:52

shakespearesdog wrote:No that's the Isabella colour which is a dilution of the liver colour, all dilution colors -can- suffer from skin problems. The liver or chocolate shade itself isn't a dilution.
Isabella is a colour commonly seen in Weimaraner.

Here's an article by a stafford breeder about CDA....

http://www.chiens-de-france.com/site_eleveur/index.php?rub=presentation&page=rubrique_histoire&ID_ELEVEUR=20099&ID_SITE=21360&ID_HISTOIRE=101704&I_ORDRE=19&PK_RUBRIQUE=18643

I've highlighted below the relevant section:

Color Dilution Alopecia
Teri Dickinson, DVM

Alopecia (hair loss) related to dilute coat color is a recognized condition in dogs. The currently accepted medical terminology for this condition is Color Dilution Alopecia (CDA). The condition may affect any dilutely pigmented dog, regardless of coat color. This condition was previously known as Blue Balding Syndrome, Blue Doberman Syndrome, Color Mutant Alopecia, Congenital Alopecia, etc. The term Color Mutant Alopecia arose because dilutes were at one time mutations from the deep pigment occurring in wild canines. Dilutes are now a regularly occurring form of pigmentation in many breeds and have been for hundreds of years. The term mutation is therefore not applicable to dilute individuals. References to Doberman Pinschers or blue hair coats arose because the condition is common in blue individuals of this breed, but it is not limited to either blue dogs or Dobermans. The term congenital means present at birth, but CDA affected dogs are born with normal hair coats.

Coat colors may include black, red, red-fawn, liver or variations thereof.

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Sat Apr 14 2012, 13:55

If it's saying black as well then that article makes no sense because black is not a dilution and neither is sable (dominant) red. They're the dominant, base coat colours along with agouti. That makes no sense to me, to say that CDA affects dilute coat colours but then to include non dilute colours-unless they mean that the gene that causes CDA is carried with the same gene for dilute coats, therefore a dog of any colour (except white) can be affected as any dog can carry the gene for dilute without having a dilute coat themselves. Or they mean a dog with a liver nose?
It very odd-Weimeraners-as i've said before are ALL dilutes but don't suffer from it.
In dogs unbanded dominant black is the most dominant allele-colour they so I don't see how a gene affecting dilutes would affect it?
What I meant about Liver by the way was that its not a dominant or recessive gene, it IS a dilute. I was having a complete brain fart and thinking of horses. doh

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 14 2012, 14:01

You're right, I think it means dilutes of any of those colours.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down